Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZO Setting Response Overlay

GloersenGloersen Posts: 984 Crazy Baller
A1 55k

A2 52k

Video shows using a NMEA 2k gateway reading directly from the ECM CAN, an IP cam, and OBS recording with CAN data real-time over-laying the skier video.
It’s kind of interesting to see where and what boat speed, motor rpm response is relative to technique and ZO setting.
Need more data, not that it’ll lead to more buoys necessarily, but knowledge is power, if not, at least cool.
ZmanRAWSkiBill22BobFjdk99

Comments

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,631 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Sorry, I'm not sure what we are looking at here. There is a tiny gauge in the inset, but is it speed, throttle response, rope load, or???? The needle movement is barely perceptible so its really hard to tell what is being measured.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    MattP
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 984 Crazy Baller
    @Bruce_Butterfield -

The NMEA 2k gateway bridge allows viewing data via a web browser; the firmware’s inherent html code only allows those gauges as displayed, but the digital readouts are more informative. Some of the data fields are blank, fuel flow (l/hr or gal/hr in each video) is the readout in the center of the dial RPM gauge; kind of beta stuff at present.

Freeze frame the youtube clip with the spacebar to note where boat Vmax/min occur as well as RPM min/max. (e.g. some A1 skier freeze frame pics below)

The A2 skier definitely loads later initiating a response after centerline. While the G’s clipping value spread is greater for ZO “2” which may contribute somewhat to the later response, I suspect his technique (smoother, more consistent, better results) is the real reason.

Getting data on a variety of ZO settings for the same skiers is a goal. Using the Diacom cable/software as an overlay will yield better data, including a linear RPM graph, but it’s a bit hardware intensive and formidable in the sweltering heat of late.

work in progress...

• jdk99jdk99 Posts: 96 Baller
    @Gloersen...very nice preliminary work. How very 'engineer' of you!

Looking forward to your assimilation of the raw data into useful and accurate curves for each setting particularly as they relate to position in the course. The question is whether the precision of your telemetry will allow for that in any meaningful way.