Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fin edge question

This may be a dumb question, but I was just adjusting my fin on a "new to me" 2019 Vapor Pro Build and moving my bindings from my 2016 Vapor and I noticed that on both fins, the right edge of the fin has a beveled edge and the left edge of the fin has a straight edge....anybody know why Vapor fins are built that way? FWIW, I dug my HO A3 and A1 from a few years ago out of my ski closet and they have even bevels on each side of the fin.

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,777 Mega Baller
    Probably beveled on the side they were machined from and square on the other. Should probably have that edge broken with a scotch brite pad
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,116
    @Anderson...Do yourself a favor and upgrade to either a Denali CG Fin or a Whisper Fin. Both are way superior to the stock fins of yesterday !!!

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    S1PittsGaryWilkinson
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,728 Administrator
    Leading and trailing edges should be symmetrical right to left.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• AndersonAnderson Posts: 13 Baller
    edited September 11
    Makes sense that they should be symmetrical, but definitely not symmetrical right vs. left on either my 2019 Vapor Pro Build or 2016 Vapor. I'll take pics tonight and post them.
    @Anderson - the machine shop just got lazy and then radar either missed it or feels as if it isn't that problematic. Cutting a fin from a sheet of aluminum can be done a few ways, but the top side is easy and the bottom side requires that you separate it from the set up, flip it and have a second fixture and process. Depending how they cut it - laser, router, cam, waterjet etc. there might be different amounts of finishing required, but I'd imagine most of these are cut and tossed into some sort of vibratory finisher then sent to anodizing with a minimum of additional "hand" finishing.

Maybe shoot radar an inquiry.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,569 Mega Baller
    Maybe you have the new double top secret $250 Radar fin!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • DanEDanE Posts: 883 Crazy Baller
    Demoed and bought a ski in Florida once, when I got home and skied in cold water I could not turn it in one direction.
    Did not notice anything skiing the Florida soup, turned out the fin had only one beveled side.
    Took the grinder to the unfinished edge and everything was goode again 😉
    Anderson
  • AndersonAnderson Posts: 13 Baller
    edited September 11
    @thager LOL, I thought maybe this was just one more way the world was making life difficult for left-handed/goofy-footed folks :-)
    thager
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,140 Mega Baller
    The fin box on the Pro Builds takes thinner fins and it is a very tight fit to get a CG into it. I did not feel comfortable jamming it in there so I just ported the holes on the Radar fin like a CG. I do not know the thickness of a Whisper fin.
    Anderson
    @A_B you could also just take a file and thin the CG a bit. Couple flat swipes should do it..
    Anderson