Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fin tuning for short line

TELTEL Posts: 304 Crazy Baller
edited September 12 in Skis Fins Bindings
At what line length do you start tuning your fin for your harder passes. I have heard that what works for short lines are more difficult for your opening passes. What adjustments are done? Just curious not there yet

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,465 Mega Baller
    When you can't figure out how to get better any time soon by any other method.

I'm only sort of kidding. Unless your ski is set up very wrong, it's not likely to be fundamentally holding you back. But when you are firmly on a plateau and don't have the inclination to do what's really necessary to get past it, you can make some gains by fine-tuning your fin instead!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,773 Administrator
    edited September 13
    @TEL with some skis and setups 28 might feel funky to make 38 feel best. I do not think this is true if your hard pass is a longer line such as 28.

In no case do opening passes need to really feel BAD to make hardest pass best.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

TEL
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 266 Crazy Baller
    I always set up my ski for the hardest pass, I can make or at least run deep. For me that is 39.
    I have never felt like it made my longest pass harder. Generally, though I most likely should not, I do not ski my 1st two or three passes aggressively as my last two or three. Therefore I want the to perform best when I am skiing hard, not when I am easily running a longer easy pass.
    Weappa
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,790 Mega Baller
    I suspect this video is in your mind?

JordanWish
  • jimskijimski Posts: 400 Solid Baller
    So where do you start tuning
    Shorter - longer
    Less fin surface area - more surface area
    More or less DFT
    Deeper - shallower
    If your skiing well at -22 but at -35 the ski breaks you or you have trouble turning it where do you start
    Assuming your technique is solid
  • bf`bf` Posts: 144 Baller
    So many variables - it depends on exactly what's happening with you and your ski. Get video of you skiing. Then, post here, and/or get this book.
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 852 Crazy Baller
    I find that less tip is better for me at -35 -38 at my shortest lengths
    @Deanoski
    So then your shortening fin length with no DFT change reducing leading edge ?
    I think my 2020 pro built works great with the # @brooks gave me just wondering where people make the changes as the line gets shorter and there seems to be no real answer so I would assume that most skiers don’t really know
    And I do have both fin whisper books and read them quite regularly
    bf`
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,578 Mega Baller
    @jimski Its not an, "Oh , now-I'm-a-shortline-skier-so-I-do-this" thing.
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 2,117
    edited September 15
    Tested a lot of skis and fins this year and what I concluded on this subject is that long shallow settings help the ski to be faster, and seem easier to ski with up through 32 off.

Once you get to 35 off and shorter, the ski accelerates faster on it's own, due to the shorter line lengths, and doesn't need that extra speed, and responds better to the shorter/deeper settings. These help to turn better at faster speeds and to scrap better.

Something I need a lot of unfortunately.

Special Thanks to Performance Ski and Surf and the Denali Adam's !!!
    GaryWilkinson
    edited September 14
    Great in-site @Ed_Johnson
    I myself this year noticed some difference in water temp and fin settings
    In the cold short and deep seemed to work better and once the water warmed up the long and shallow felt better
    Cold for me is below 55 deg