Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What After Market Fin Blocks Are Available ?

Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,016 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Hi everybody, just wondering what after matket fin blocks are available, being hand fisted, I keep ruining my fin block by over tighten, may have to invest in a torque driver or something,
$100 for a replacement quite expensive, on one of them I have reworked the clamp bolt holes/threads, but you have to go quite big to get a decent thread, which I am thinking may actually have less clamping properties because it is close to the flange.
Thread size now M6

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

Comments

• DavidNDavidN Posts: 281 Solid Baller
    D3 sells fin blocks.
    Accuset - $99.99
    Rockerblock - 114.99
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,569 Mega Baller
    Evil pay $65
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,016 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited September 21
    @Horton I am good at opening Jars etc , that nobody else can, next time I am tightning, a fin block, I shall say to myself " Avoid the Panda " because I have too many already.
    There may have been some corrosion envolved.

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

• skialexskialex Posts: 896 Crazy Baller
    You can always fix the stripped threads with a helicoil insert, have done it many times especially on Maple/Rader/MC etc fin blocks that are thin and it’s easy to strip the threads, what you are saying happens to others too.
    Gloersen
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 914 Crazy Baller
    edited September 22
    @Stevie Boy
    1.) @Horton is right.
    2.) Nonetheless, one can drill out the fin block's "shot" threaded hole, use an over-length 10-32 cap screw and file down 1 side of a 10-32 nylon lock nut; good to go. It's always the setup; never ski technique.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,742 Mega Baller

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• addkerraddkerr Posts: 170 Baller
    Broken fin block! This is the sort of thing I would use as an excuse to tell the Mrs that I need a new ski haha.