Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virginia - Public places to practice // Slalom Course

mccowherd2006mccowherd2006 Posts: 3 New Baller
Hello all!

I am looking for anywhere in central VA (Near Lake Anna) that offers a public slalom course to practice. I am currently going to a pro-trainer, but would like to take my boat somewhere with an actual course to practice more.

Best,
Matt
Tagged:
dvskier

Comments

• vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 617 Crazy Baller
    Talk to @Bill22
    Also, I'm guessing you are going to Corey's place for coaching. If so, I love it there and seem to improve with every session.
    mccowherd2006
  • jepskijepski Posts: 27 Baller
    edited October 10
    There is a public course on Smith Mountain Lake (which is Central VA to me LOL).
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,061 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes, two on SML.
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,615 Crazy Baller
    Hello @mccowherd2006

It was great meeting you guys at Corey’s last week. As we discussed, I know of zero public course in the area. We have a handful of private lakes within an hour of Richmond but the public ski scene is greatly lacking.

Yes, Smith mint. has one or two but I have never skied there. About two years ago Timberlake private club was looking for members, not sure of their status now. That would be a hike from your house but doable for a day or half day of skiing.

There are rumors of a cable park and ski lake being built in Chesterfield. I think the chances of it happening are low because Chesterfield land prices have skyrocketed and the board of supervisors are known to have crazy requirements for all projects. The developer is a local skier.

Bill
    In gear. Hit It. Thank You!
    Obrienslalom
  • ObrienslalomObrienslalom Posts: 67 Baller
    We probably need to toss a course on the public side of Lake Anna. Who's in?
  • jepskijepski Posts: 27 Baller
    edited October 10
    @Orlando76 - besides the SML Club course in Bull Run, where is the other public course?
    @Obrienslalom I am out. It’s 30 minutes too far to make it practical for me.
    I do not know of any courses on public water in VA. As I understand it, if you want to put one in at Lake Anna it will require approval by the "God of Lake Anna." He's one guy who works for the power plant and oversees all approvals of this kind. I could be wrong on this. I know people have had courses on the Anna cold side but I don't know if they were approved. If you want the name of the guy I can ask my family for his contact info.
    Not 100% sure but I don’t think the power station has any say so about what happens on the cold side of the lake. It should be Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
  • santangelosantangelo Posts: 176 Solid Baller
    @jepski the other course is at the Coopers house...about halfway up Gills creek on the right hand side. Can't miss it.
  • mccowherd2006mccowherd2006 Posts: 3 New Baller
    @Bill22 It was nice meeting you as well! There is a place I found called "Jennings Lake", and "Bear Lake" that are north east of Zion Crossroads, and apparently they have courses set up on them. They were built for the sole purpose of skiing. I'm just not sure if they are public, or if I can join whatever club owns them. I will probably take my boat to Smith Mtn Lake next summer as well.

I'm looking high and low for a free/in-expensive way to practice on a course. It's hard for me to think that every Slalom skier in VA who competes ONLY practices with a paid trainer. It gets EXPENSIVE ... QUICK.
  • mccowherd2006mccowherd2006 Posts: 3 New Baller
    @vtmecheng Yes - Corey is AH-Mazing. A phenomenal instructor, and I improve each time I go to his place. (Once per week).
    Obrienslalom
    Believe it or not, the lake and all land a defined distance from the lake is owned by Dominion Power. Even the VA DGIF website confirms this. Therefore, things like a ski course on the lake must be approved by Dominion Power.
    Obrienslalom
    @vtmecheng I stand corrected.
    I thought the state would only approve the permits for the power plant “if” the company gave control of the lake to the state.

@mccowherd2006 you are correct not all tournament skiers are practicing with a pro coach but there are probably 8-10 private ski course on this side of VA.