Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New fin setting

Hi guys, the weather is getting a bit colder and I’m wondering if I should adjust my fin? The water is about 5 degrees colder and I’ve been skiing awful since the change.

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 4,569 Mega Baller
    Boots back.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • jayskijayski Posts: 800 Mega Baller
    5 deg Fahrenheit? Even Celsius any adjustment for that temp swing is unnecessary, 90 plus to 65 degree water and I make zero adjustments to ski
    Zmanskialex
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,461 Mega Baller
    I don't think we're really talking 5 degrees any more than 1 straw can break a camel's back.

But there is a threshold where skiing becomes more challenging. I find this to be somewhere in the 50s.

After some occasional attempts over the years to "fix" this with settings, I've mostly settled on just accepting that skiing in very cold water is more difficult.

Fwiw, fin guru @SkiJay is a strong proponent of tuning as well as possible for cold water because those will carry over to warm water much better than vice versa. I haven't personally verified that.

One thing I've definitely seen is that certain skis are more sensitive to water temperature than others. I absolutely loved my Nano One during the summer, but it was weird how much worse I would ski in late September and October on it.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • WishWish Posts: 7,831 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 178 Baller
    I skied my C-65 at the current settings in 75-80 deg F water and absolutely loved it as it just seemed to be extremely tolerant of virtually anything from water conditions to my physical performance. First year ever I did not change settings once I got into a zone back in early June.
    Water temp yesterday was 54.5 deg F and I feel the ski now accelerates easier and turns are a little more finicky on body position. It now prefers a bit of wind ripple as opposed to glass as well.
    I am not planning to change settings and learning how to deal with the performance difference to sharpen my skill set.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 283 Baller
    As we all know cold water is faster than warm , so yes we should be adjusting accordingly, but adjust the skiing not the fin
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 299 Baller
    if you warmup your body better in the cold..no adjustment necessary..skiing stiff will make it feel like you need to adjust something
    www.skyfitness.com
    Than_BoganS1PittsWishSteven_Haines
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,016 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 11
    @MDB1056 If cold water is faster than warm water. why has it been said, in other circles that running with less wing in colder water may be useful, like you I always feel cold water feels fast, which would suggest more wing, but apparently not, it was said to me that there is also more drag and to run less wing.
    Anybody got a view ?

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

• swaterkdswaterkd Posts: 68 Baller
    I live in upstate NY and we have cold water. I have heard everything for cold water. boots back, boots forward more depth, more wing. The one that I have found to work is when it gets cold move fin back.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 896 Crazy Baller
    It’s sad to realize that it’s that time of the year... where you ski less (or not at all) when the cold water, fast/slow discussion pops up
    MDB1056Steven_HainesThan_Bogan