Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mimium water depth with current boats

HortonHorton Posts: 27,743 Administrator
I have always heard 18 in is the hard minimum depth. Is that right?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 697 Crazy Baller
    edited October 15
    Draft on a Prostar is 22” as stated on the MC site. I would imagine that when coming up to speed from idle the bow rises and the stern drops slightly which would increase the needed minimum depth. Don’t know for sure but I wouldn’t feel safe in less than 30” of water if I had to bring the boat up to speed from idle. If just moving at idle 24”.
    Bravery to test the limits depends on the type of material (Rock vs mud) that is on the bottom.
    aupatking
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 42 Baller
    I was told mid 80's Mastercrafts were about 18" including starting, running I know you could run a rainbow MC in just over a foot of water once running (in silty riverbed as I found out).

Given that the newer boats are larger than before and I would expect to have a deeper draft. Are you asking about slow speed manoeuvring depth?
  • LoopSkiLoopSki Posts: 533 Crazy Baller
    get your hands on a Boice Jet, those will skoot on a wet lawn!
    im assuming he is asking for the ski lake project. not skiable depth
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 395 Baller
    i agree with Jody. 4 feet or I'm not comfortable taking off. My boat say 18" but I've measured it and it's more like 24" - I'm guessing the 18" is when you are on plane.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,743 Administrator
    let's just say there's an object in the water I'm going to have to completely remove before I run a boat this weekend.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• ToddFToddF Posts: 553 Solid Baller
    4 feet wow, our entrance is between 20-30 inches depending on river level. 30+ mph goes through easy, idle no way when low, it drags.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,424 Mega Baller
    So when you guys are crashing in 20-30 inches of water, how does that work? I've hit the bottom in 4-5 ft of water. Being able to stand on the bottom and breath air means the water is too shallow
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @oldjeep we are talking about purebred slalom boats.

edited October 15
    @horton I'm talking about my human body crashing in the water from behind a purebred slalom boat. My VTX has a 22" draft - same as your prostar ;)
    Chuck P
    edited October 15
    @oldjeep in that case ski lakes aren't for you!

• jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 566 Crazy Baller
    We had a jump ramp in a cow pond in Corning, CA, way back when, and IIRC the landing area was right at knee deep in places (with a mud bottom). We kept the boat on plane and never throttled back in that area and never ruined a prop that I recall, but it was dicey and the prop wash looked pretty muddy on that end of the lake.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,781 Mega Baller
    @oldjeep interesting - I've never managed to hit the bottom, on the lake we usually ski the ~200' out from obstacles usually has you over about 4-6' of water. Usually when you drop towards shore you're in about waist to chest deep water. Clearly too shallow for a steep entry dive. But common depth people would dock dive off at a shallow angle.

The relatively flat trajectory of a waterski crash has always seemed to keep you on the surface. Board sports I would wonder. Anyone ever get hurt shallow water trick skiing?
  • jercranejercrane Posts: 280 Crazy Baller
    we did some testing on a 197 a few years ago and determined that you could safely throttle out of just under 3 feet with a Prostar 197. SN 200 is roughly the same but we never restested.

https://ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/18563/depth-data-prostar-197
    andjules
    @BraceMaker - OTF can put you into the bottom, although I havn't had one in a few years now. The flat trajectory crashes are the ones that seem to break the ribs
    Chuck P
    @oldjeep The question was not how deep is it to ski on. The question was how much clearance is needed for the boat. The answer seems to be about 22" and no I'm sure as hell not going to ski in 2 ft of water

Ah - well given that the mfg list 22" as the max draft. I'm going to assume that is with the weight that they claim the boats weigh. Given that they are typically hundreds of lbs under reality and don't include fuel, fluids or a driver, I'd make sure you have a couple extra inches.
    Chuck P
    out of curiosity is anybody know what the clearance (draft) was on a 196?

ReallyGottaSki
    Advertised draft in the specs is 22"

Chuck P
    makes me wonder there the old 18" story comes from

edited October 15
    Malibu before 2005 had a 16" draft posted on the sportster. I'd have to find the old brochure for the lxi
    Chuck P
    Looks like pre 2005 LXI was advertised at 16" and the SSLXI was 18"
    Chuck P
    andjules
  • keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 528 Crazy Baller
    Imagine trying to get up in 22" of water. Even with a soft bottom, you would be looking at a fin depth adjustment
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,746 Mega Baller
    Some of you still live in the dark ages!
    Seen a top elite level tricker get stuck head first at regionals in paducah one year.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• ReallyGottaSkiReallyGottaSki Posts: 69 Baller
    I believe it.
    WhenI was 16,went out the front and speared the wake hands/head first, needed to pull both forearms out of the soft bottom in order to float up.
    That was 4' of water
  • NandoNando Posts: 524 Crazy Baller
    We had a course that was on a sandbar, sheltered between two areas of reeds. The middle of the course varied between about 24” and 30” and the bottom was very sandy. We eventually had a trough about 18” deeper in the boat path where the prop wash had blown out the sand. Never hit bottom, but the sand polished my prop and rudder so they were very shiny. Then we had three years of drought...

In ‘87, the pro tour championship was on a lake that was very shallow on the shore side. The lake had an outlet with a valve that someone had opened Saturday night. After a panicked half hour of tightening the buoys with Ed B., he told me, “get your ski, we’ve got to see if it’s safe to ski”, which I knew meant I was expendable and the tour skiers were not- he didn’t want any of them to get hurt. I ran a couple of passes and noticed KLP was watching intently. He asked me what it felt like around the two shallowest balls and I said I could definitely feel the tail being affected by the shallowness. He said he could see the tail rise up as the ski went into ground effects- he used tha aeronautical term and it seemed apt.
    Mateo_Vargasjjackkrash
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,140 Mega Baller
    If your boat is on a lift, just measure from the waterline to the bottom of the rudder or prop. Then add 12” or so.

The draft spec on recent SN’s is about 22”. That could be sitting still but normal loading in the water. Heck a prop is 12”-13” with 2-3” clearance to the bottom. Bottom of hull to waterline is around 10”. That doesn’t account for nose rise on takeoff.

Draft is typically the minimum to safely navigate which means at idle. At speed it’s less and takeoff it’s more.

• John BrooksJohn Brooks Posts: 365 Crazy Baller
    Perfect @A_B , we can keep the wakeboard boats off the ski lakes with a shallow pond.
    A_B
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,140 Mega Baller
    A guy I know who worked in the boating industry confirmed that the draft of the boat is just sitting in the water or idling and not taking off.