Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ski team colleges

My son, a 36 / 15 off skier is looking at colleges with ski teams he could be a part of next year. Mostly looking @ Florida, and Carolinas. Can anyone reccomend one with the pluses and minuses of the academics and the ski team? He would like to compete and ski with the team.
Web

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,989 Mega Baller
    There is a list of schools here: http://www.ncwsa.com/teams/. Surprisingly not a ton of schools in FL. One of our skiers from New England is a freshman at Rollins right now. If you reach out to me through messaging I can connect you with her dad at least. There is also someone from our region who skis for Clemson and a few kids at Alabama. They might be your best bet to get information about why they selected the schools.
    Mark Shaffer
    Keith Menard
  • skihoundskihound Posts: 9 Baller
    Most of the schools in Florida and in the south have very high skiing standards to make the team (35 off and beyond). I would look into Clemson, great academics and they have a lake that is basically on campus. I would also suggest looking into the west and midwest, may be more his speed.
    Wish
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,355 Mega Baller
    Don't forget to mention the 2 lake site and current hull Master Craft
    DuncanMorgan6balls
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,351 Mega Baller
    Tons of programs in WI at some excellent schools and you have a lot of time to think about skiing when the lakes are solid ice. :)
    RazorRoss3PUoldmaid
  • jgills88jgills88 Posts: 18 Baller
    Others have mentioned awesome teams, but one important thing to remember that unless a skier is being recruited by the scholarship schools (ULL, ULM, Alabama, Rollins, and Florida Southern), they probably should not decide where to go based on skiing.

On that note, I am not too familiar with the southern schools, but the Midwest is filled with schools that have awesome academics and ski opportunities. And if you walk into any midwest school at full speed, they will love you. And if your kid decides not to go to a school with an established team, that does not limit them from skiing collegiately. Tons of schools have startup programs, or even one-off skiers who have a ton of fun at tournaments!

What major is your son interested in? I'm sure that would be useful in recommending schools
    LuzzBruce_ButterfieldjcampBongo
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,346 Mega Baller
    @Luzz - agree. That is what my two sons have done - to the detriment of their skiing unfortunately, but at great benefit to their education. My oldest is at UC Santa Barbara where, when he arrived, the water ski team was on a forced "hiatus" because of a previous incident (which I know zero about). My son arrived hoping to rekindle the team with some help, but that's a tall order - no boat, no site, no help, and an engineering curriculum to deal with. Didn't happen, but UCSB is a great school and he's coming out with a BS in ME and already has employment lined up. My youngest chose CalPoly San Luis Obispo, which does have a ski team and some support, but the ski site is an hour+ away and there is no jump. They have a great time though and have been able to go to Collegiate Nats in Div 2. CalPoly SLO is an awesome school, too, and he will come out with a civil engineering BS and plenty of options. Another ski friend's son just got into UC Berkeley, which has no team, but there is a nearby site (Aquatic Park). "Cal" is world-renowned and he will end up with a valuable experience and degree, but getting a team going there would also be very difficult when you're bombed with school work and have little suppport. It's for sure a bummer to not have the college ski experience or not have it to the level that the top schools have it, but the opportunity to get a great education is top priority.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • BCMBCM Posts: 223 Baller
    edited October 2019
    @jimbrake - back in '07 Cal Poly skied D1

@6balls - I would tend to agree. However, not all majors are offered at all universities. In my field there are only about 10 programs west of Colorado. Trying to become a nuclear physicist might be hard a liberal arts college, no matter how hard you try.
    jimbrake
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,096 Mega Baller
    @jimbrake a Berkeley team may be possible. They had an active program at Aquatic Park in the 90’s.
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,197 Mega Baller
    UCF needs a fresh start! They were once one of the best ski teams in the nation. A lot of lakes; a lot of former skiers to help make introductions, and of course, a GREAT education.... 2017 National Championship football program as well!
    jcamp
  • WaterSkier12WaterSkier12 Posts: 269 Baller
    Alabama should be included in this discussion as well
  • Rpc29Rpc29 Posts: 204 Solid Baller
    @liquid d lol at the “National Championship”

But there are several schools with great academics where someone can get a ski team experience. My time at the University of Georgia and on the ski team was wonderful and created many lifelong friendships.
    Ryan Christopher
    6balls
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,197 Mega Baller
    Don't be a hater ...just cause Alabama was afraid to play us!