Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It is time for your yearly Who Are You Guys thread:

Comments

• lkblkb Posts: 579 Baller
    H2oski, you don't have to be good to compete in tournaments. I am living proof.

Roger, cool stuff. Is there anything left to get adrenaline flowing after you have jumped from a plane?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,555 Crazy Baller
    LKB, it was another life ago, but probably not. Water-skiing is fun, a great social group, and I haven't lost any friends to the sport yet...
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,862 Administrator
    Bump for the new guys

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

sorry about the funky *&^%$ stuff in some older posts. We have gone through 2 software upgrades since this thread started.

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,476 Mega Baller
    edited November 2011
    I just cleaned mine up. Perhaps I should have mentioned in my original self-description that I am anal...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    My name is Bob and I'm 34 y/o from east central Indiana (Muncie)- married with 2 young boys- I skied in open water my whole life just for fun until last year when I first tried the course a handful of times behind my (soon to be sold) V drive boat. This year I met a guy at our ski club who owns a RLXI and needed a driver so we started to ski together a few times a week and really started to get hooked on those 6 little balls. Spent a lot of time trying to explain to friends and family what exactly slalom is. Made my first full pass 9/23 and I'm looking forward to getting a DD boat and hitting the course hard next year. I think this sport would really grow if more people had access to a course- so one goal I have for next year is to introduce the course to somebody who has never tried it before.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
  • Great site, cool thread. I had no idea our little sport had such a devoted following all around the world! I finally got around to checking out this forum and having fun checking out the threads.

Jason Smith, 35 and single dad of an awesome 9-year-old son. I started skiing when I was 4 or 5 with my old man whose answer for everything wrong with one's slalom skiing was, "you've got to lean back further, get that spray wall really high...". Thanks, Dad, for getting me out there. Evolved into a rec. wakeboarder while at Univ. of Florida in the mid-90's. I got out of skiing for about 7-8 years while I was married and poor, so I bought a ProStar 205 as soon as I had the paycheck to cover it in 2004 (didn't even have a truck to tow it).

Had a blast getting back into boarding until just after my 31st birthday, when a neighbor (and a possible concussion trying a new invert) led me to reconsider my aquatic direction and take up slalom again. Thanks Ken for getting me out to Lake Francis and introducing me to OB. These two guys are my "coaches" in more ways than just the slalom course.

Finally started coming to my own this past season; PB [email protected]' only about 6 weeks after having a slump where I had a tough time running my 22'. Haven't skied a tourney yet, but am looking forward to my first next year in M3.

Pilot for Spirit Airlines; spend a lot of time in S. Florida and plan on skiing the winter through down there at McGinnis, Okee and hopefully Greater Miami Ski Club if I can get Lou out of the pro shop at MIA Nautique!
  • I'm still here after 46 years of competitive skiing and 53 years of skiing in general. Time of the year to keep Horton, MS and Darwin in check!
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 608 Crazy Baller
    Well I don't post much but My name is Dave Macchi and I have been skiing since I was 5 yrs old and competing from age 10. I am 41 yrs old and a Firefighter in the Orlando area. I lived in SF bay area for most of my life. Started skiing at Berkeley Aquatic Park in '75. Horton you know that place where the '80 western regionals were held and it was COLD!!!!!! Once the private lakes started to draw all the events took my skiing to the Sacramento area. In '04 my family moved to Florida where we have just 2 seasons warm and hot..

I have seen an awful lot of changes in this sport from boats, age groups and speeds to today's current format. Heck I could remember when you could get a regional rating in practice if there was a judge in the boat and the time was good. OH YA no PP, ZO or automatic timing all by hand. If you could only do that today.

I will probably keep skiing until I loose a limb or I get so confused my wife will tell me I just got back from the lake and I skied great.
    @dave2ball not sure who you are but know we crossed paths a lot back in the day.

You were a couple of yrs ahead of me. We crossed paths many times.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,142 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Good story Dave2ball. I remember the best hand drivers were able to give a slow time, just in tolerance on your toughest passes...and might give you that extra 10 seconds to catch your wind before the big one. There were some seriously good drivers back then who did not have the advantage of speed control and had to adjust to big skier, small skier, male/female etc pass to pass.
    I remember boat judging, stop watch in hand, hanging over the side of the boat to click it right on the entrance/exit gates and quickly looking up to see the skier. Good stuff.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    6 balls, I am glad to see that I am not the only old ski guy on this forum.
  • RynoRyno Posts: 252 Baller
    It's surprising to see how many pilots are on here. It most be something to do with the challenge of slalom that appeals to that personality.

My name is Ryan McGill. I started skiing as a toddler, as my parents were competing in Ski racing in North Queensland when I was born. I didn't start course skiing until I was 20, but have been hooked ever since.
    I'm now 32 and live on the South coast of New South Wales, Australia. I'm a helicopter pilot in the Royal Australian Navy. The most frustrating part of my job is when you have an early morning flight, then fly over the river and just see glass. I'd pretty much always rather be hanging onto a ski rope.
    Ryan McGill - South Coast, New South Wales, Australia
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,142 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I think pilots by nature of the job need a slice of OCD for the required attention to detail, and serious slalom skiers tend to fit that mold as well. I'm compulsive about my flying (GA), my job, and my skiing...oh hell I may as well just admit I'm compulsive about nearly everything!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I'm just a 48 year old guy who always believes he can get a little better than I am today. Skiing is the ultimate challenge for me because of the terrific blend of technique, strength and persistence it requires. It occupies WAY too much of my mindspace from ice out through ice in. Always learning, keep believing there is another loop in there somewhere still if I just keep after it.
    Jim Ross
  • WishWish Posts: 7,857 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    OB
    "It just doesn't happen...there are too many things to screw up and that's what keeps it enjoyable and keeps me coming back for more,"

Aaahh? You are talking about skiing screw ups right? Not instilling alot confidence for flying commercial if your not. :-/

>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • RynoRyno Posts: 252 Baller
    I agree with what you're saying OB, it's all about the personal drive to improve.
    It takes a lot of drive to get through a military pilots course, and keep turning up to perform at that level everyday. It takes a similar level of drive to keep going out on the course day after day, making miniscule improvements to top a PB you may not have got close to in several years.
    I often see that same drive here in Australia when I have an early morning ski... It's usually only a couple of us slalom skiiers that hit the river at 6:00am before the glass gets ruined. While wakeboarders are still tucked up in bed dreaming about their next hair style.
    Ryan McGill - South Coast, New South Wales, Australia
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 481 Crazy Baller
    i be chris springs. i be 46. my family and i ski at triple j in ferris texas. my wife hangs around the top 5 of so in the nat'l slalom rankings and our our 2 kids skied regionals for the first time this year. we love the outdoors. skiin', biikin', hunting, swimming and anything that makes you tired. i keep my scores around 4 or 5 at 38 in tourneys. i typically save my best skiing for practice. i've decided that 2012 i will lose some wieght and get my average into 39. thx
  • waterskigirlwaterskigirl Posts: 142 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Robby Trimble 50ish, we own a private lake in the Sacramento, CA area...skied tournaments for years...only I was never very good under BIG pressure, ran 35 off in tournaments, but really could not be consistant. Won a few, lost more...started "SkiSunsetRanch" 8 years ago with my husband Doug, who by the way is a saint...
    A. he's married to me
    B. he is a great coach, he truly has the eye and the patience!
    Still really love the sport and really love the school/vacation experience that we host now. At tournaments most people are unhappy, very few ski their PB at a tournament, at our school everyone is happy, they always get better, whatever that is for them.
    Bought into the Centurion Carbon Pro early and were nervous, but as you know, are really pleasantly surprised and happy with the boat...Still ski alot, more than most folks entire season, love the people we meet that come to the school, love the opportunity to help them see how to do it right!
    Anyone out there who thinks you want your own lake...whew, that's a big load...better to make me an offer and get it ready made!
    BIG thanks to Horton, for giving our sport a forum without this, where would we all go????
    Thx, RT
  • KlundellKlundell Posts: 432 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Kevin Lundell 28 years old Chiropractor out of Ogden UT. I've been skiing since I was 8 competing since I was 12. I took 5 years off from skiing for chiropractic school and have gotten back into the sport the last two seasons. My wife loves to ski and has gotten the competitive addiction this last season afters she qualified and skied in Regionals. I got my OM rating this year and have been loving my 63.75 Nano Twist Mid Ride.
  • Who are ya'll callin' old? 6balls? Dave2ball?

Ham Wallace
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 200 Baller
    Dan Bueche, 53 years old from Cincinnati, OH area. Been lurking here for several years. Love the site. Have skied since I was 10 but only recently have had access to a slalom course. I ski at "Extreme Watersports Center" which has several lakes and 3 courses. Married with two boys, one, 17, who only does "wake sports" and the other, 15, who could be an excellent slalom skier but would rather chase girls, go figure. I am slowly getting better a bit every year. Made my first complete passes through 34 mph/15 off last summer and made a number of 22 offs this summer. Hope to conquer 28 off next year. Glad to still be doing this at 53 and getting better. My boat is an '01 Malibu Sunsetter LXI....the best all-around watersports boat Malibu ever made. Ski is a Radar Vice which I am growing to love.
  • Keep it up Lieutenant Dan! The hook is set! You're done now! It becomes all-consuming! I love the lake more each year. heading toward 59 way too fast!
    Bump for the new guys

• 501Brandon501Brandon Posts: 144 Baller
    Brandon Atkinson live and ski in Little Rock Arkansas... Started some C class events last season and like it. This was my best season yet running 32' off @ 34mph, this considering I started at 30mph 15'off. Skiing on a 68 Stada behind a 07 Silver Edition Response.
    Brandon Atkinson
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,591 Mega Baller
    Brandon,
    How did you end up with "Klondike"?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Most of my life was in Alaska! So the name was given from way back in the "Navy Days" and its just kind of stuck around!
    Brandon Atkinson
    Oh yeah and the "Bars" arent bad they just have a way of hampering a guys training! :)
    Brandon Atkinson
  • dthatedthate Posts: 142 Baller
    Klondike.....Alaskan amber ale