Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fin adjustments for cold water

Buoyhead69Buoyhead69 Posts: 82 Baller
edited October 2019 in Technique & Theory
A couple weeks ago I was getting back on my tail a lot and skiing pretty crappy. The 57 degree water temp, 10lbs of wetsuit, windy days, and semi numb hands probably didn’t help either. But I figured I’d move my fin back to try something different. I’m at .724 DFT and I believe it made a difference. I ski 34.2mph, I’ve skied some of my best -28 of the year, yesterday was minimal wind, my offside was great I was early to every ball at -28 which is not an automatic pass for me. Anyone else change settings when the temperatures drop?
Cam

Comments

• dislanddisland Posts: 1,380 Mega Baller
    last week my ski buddy had me try and move my RTP back one hole and it really helped. Go figure
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 694 Crazy Baller
    I add more fin. Used to make it ~.010 deeper, but nowadays I increase the length ~0.01. I've heard of some moving bindings, DFT and yet others that claim none of this matters and it's a bandaid approach. Seems to work for me.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,782 Mega Baller
    I’ve heard to adjust your fin to be optimal in cold water and then just change wing angle for warmer water.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Buoyhead69
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,083 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    After a recent conversation on this topic, unless the water temp is dramatically colder no change , however it was said that in colder water slightly less wing angle is beneficial, just what was said.

If Only I Was Perfect

Buoyhead69
  • GarnGarn Posts: 522 Crazy Baller
    I do nothing. I just go ski.
    ski6jones