Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay to measure DFT this way?

powbmpspowbmps Posts: 121 Baller
Not using the square to measure, but as a point of reference. Measuring actual distance with calipers.

Am I doing this right? 67" 2016 V-type.

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,787 Mega Baller
    It's a great way to get relative dimensions but not to compare to factory.

If you do the traditional way first then measure the width of the L and zero it. Then measure your fin you'll have the difference between the methods
    powbmps
  • powbmpspowbmps Posts: 121 Baller
    @BraceMaker would the factory setting be taken from where the bottom of the ski starts to curve up at the tail (~1/8" down the square)?

Great idea on measuring the width of the L and zeroing it.
    Correct so there are a variety of methods. The question is if you use the fin whispering, or a ruler etc. Are you getting the exact same number as the person who recommended the setting to begin with? That's a very hard thing to do unless you know who took the measurements and could spend time both of you measuring skis until you were relatively certain you had the same technique.

Even the fin whispering method while it does improve repeatability doesn't ensure that you're getting the same number as someone who doesn't use the shim.

The best thing is to A: not worry about it and come up with a way you like to do.
    B: set as close to whatever the recommendations were.
    C: be comfortable messing around with it a little bit to fix variations.
    D: remember that time you put your boots on and measured to 27.5" with a steel ruler? Don't forget to try forwards and backwards with your boots a smidge before chasing that .00099 fin setting.
    igkyaaupatkingRednucleuspowbmps
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 806 Crazy Baller
    Looks like 3/4 to me!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    @JaredSmith sell a 15$ Chinese caliper with a slot milled into it for 150...

The actual caliper doesn't hold up.
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 657 Crazy Baller
    @powbmps That’s kinda how I measure mine, but I add calipers as the measuring device.
    powbmps
  • MarkMMarkM Posts: 112 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Easy. No.
  • DWDW Posts: 2,022 Mega Baller
    @powbmps - that method would actually give you the correct DFT (shouldn't the definition of tail actually be the tail of the ski?), unfortunately as noted there are numerous ways people measure that parameter.

So, why do we measure binding distance from tail and DFT using different tail references? Perhaps the same reason metric rope measurement is actual and US imperial uses inverse lengths :D
    It's ok Scot's slot caliper works great.
    ScottScott
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 657 Crazy Baller
    edited November 14
    Wonder what Scot C and Jared S have to say about this? Too soon?
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,119 Mega Baller
    If you're skiing for fun, yes. If you're beyond 22 off ...no.