Go to the gym?

HortonHorton Posts: 31,822 Administrator
edited April 2021 in News & Other Stuff
How much do you go to the gym or do none water ski exercise?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

Go to the gym? 173 votes

I hit the gym or the bike or the pool or something besides skiing all year long.
63%
auskierDWski6jonesslowSkiRVChef23waterskicoreyRpc29KillertjmThan_BoganLeonLjimbrakeGarnChris Rossibrodyshoeskimantru-jackEd_Johnsondave2ball 110 votes
I hit the gym or the bike or the pool or something besides skiing mostly in the off season
21%
thagertsixamMarcoskibugGMCskibrainJohn Brooksjhughes9400adamhcaldwelllpskierrichfosterunksskisPatMscuppersNandodbskiandjulesGaryWilkinsonThe_MS 37 votes
I hit the gym or the bike or the pool or something besides skiing only in the off season
9%
HortondislandCamAndreskisprayLakeOneSkierskier2788TaperflexjcampblakeyatesNameUnavailablebraindamagelazznKimbymonSlalomSteveaquaman35 16 votes
I just ski
5%
skiepRichardDoaneDeanoskiBMG73Bill22BrewskiRednucleusalancJarednbermudez1992 10 votes

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,009 Mega Baller
    I hit the gym or the bike or the pool or something besides skiing all year long.
    Probably the biggest reason my back never got better than 80% all season was that I didn't make the time for maintenance exercise -- I was just vaulting and skiing. That doesn't quite work for a 40+ year old with a Constitution of 9...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • dshockdshock Posts: 26 Baller

Our home gym. I try to work out 4-5+ days year around. I find skiing only gets to my lower back within a couple weeks. Keeping my routine allows me to ski as much as I want.

Skoot1123S1PittsJennyLaBaw
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,437 Mega Baller
    Besides skiing (water and snow) am in the pool or open water year 'round. On the bike some (but way less than I'd like), squats and dead lifts and some other miscellaneous body weight stuff at home, and way more stretching now than I ever have prior to this year. I can't fit it all in the way I'd like, though, with this ding dang job. Retiring end of 2020 and then ramping everything up.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Than_BoganMarcoJennyLaBaw
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    @dshock I have home gym envy I would love that. We have the Peloton and an elliptical but that is it. I would love some room for free weights and to be able to do box jumps. My basement ceilings are only about 7.5 feet high.
    Mark Shaffer
    JennyLaBaw
  • dshockdshock Posts: 26 Baller
    @Chef23, we are fortunate enough to have over 10’ ceilings. It was an extra garage but because there is no driveway, and our yard stays really wet, it wasn’t very useful. The gym is constantly used.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,451 Mega Baller
    I hit the gym or the bike or the pool or something besides skiing mostly in the off season
    I have my own gym at home and start workouts right after TurkeyDay. Provided I can find my DP machine. During the summer wifey thinks it is for holding boxes, junk, etc. and for hanging wet clothes!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Zman
  • BdeckerBdecker Posts: 351 Crazy Baller
    My wife and I go to Orangetheory fitness at least 5 days/ week year round. After 20 years of religious home gym use with elliptical, treadmill, free weights, and structured workouts, I was amazed at the gains I made in a more structured “coached” environment. They do regular competitions to add a gamification element that really helps us stay motivated and engaged. Locations worldwide so I just drop in whenever I travel.
    Everyone plateaus eventually, but my current plateau is 10-15lbs lighter and much stronger than when I started. I’d like to think my skiing consistency has improved as well. 250k calories burned since June 2018 and a drawer of board shorts that are now too big.
    raynski603DonT
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,800 Mega Baller
    I just ski
    Yoga twice a week and extreme yard work On weekends all year around. It also helps to not sit at a desk all day.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 485 Open or Level 9 Skier
    At my age, I am limited on how often my body can take the stress of skiing, so I try to make it up off the water. Racquetball 1 1/2 hr, 3 times a week; weights 3 times a week, 2,000+ miles/yr on bike.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,274 Mega Baller
    I think I read on Schnitzs site sometime long ago that you can only ski yourself into shape for the level you're skiing now. To be fit for the next lines/speeds you need to improve your fitness away from skiing. That always made sense to me and I've experienced it the last couple years so been trying to improve my fitness more away from the course.
    Carl Addington, Cedar Ridge, MS
    BdeckerJennyLaBaw
  • I try to go to the gym as often as possible. But because I work a lot, I have very little free time. My close friend advised me to set up a home gym. I thought for a long time about the proposal and still decided to do it. On the recommendation of a friend, I bought a few pieces of equipment, which is described here https://skinnyyoked.com/bodybuilding/equipment/force-usa-trainers/ and for a good reason. Every day after work, I work out for an hour in the home gym with my wife.
  • marknmarkn Posts: 489 Crazy Baller
    Lift weights 3 days per week all year (home weights). If weather precludes skiing in the winter, go for run.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,688 Mega Baller
    This month shooting for 275 miles on bicycle, the challenge from a Montana high school friend.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Zman
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 939 Crazy Baller
    During the season, I ski 3 days on average. That’s all I have time for with two kids and a full time job. In the off season I try to lift and rehab my injuries 3-4 times a week. I really focus on shoulder and hip mobility so that I have fewer injuries throughout ski season.
    Zman
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 425 Crazy Baller
    I have an “in season” off the water workout schedule that works with skiing 3-4 days a week. And then an “off season” program that is more intense once I am frozen out.
    JennyLaBaw
  • JennyLaBawJennyLaBaw Posts: 11 Baller
    Love all this.. as a recreational skier myself, wife of pro skier @MarcusBrown and career strength and conditioning coach/functional nutritionist, nothing makes me happier than to see water skiers doing something for themselves besides waterskiing. No doubt that skiing is a heck of a workout... BUT... it's also an asymmetrical position, taking high load hits and not moving our joints through full range of motion.. over and over again. I'd argue that most people on here want to ski for as long in their life as they can (aka: longevity), right?. The only way this is going to happen is if you stay injury free by strengthening weaknesses, balancing out asymmetries and regaining joint mobility/stability/function (and of course proper nutrition and recovery). This can be done in a variety of ways (not one "right" way), but should include some type of strength training, mobility training, and assessments/reassessments so you know what you're actually working toward and can see your progress. I'd also argue that most people on here want to get a higher buoy count, right? Having a plan YEAR ROUND on and off the water is the answer.

If you're interested in learning what @MarcusBrown and I have to offer for coaching with FlowPoint Method, hit us up here or email at [email protected]
    raynBG1Skoot1123Jmoski
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,170 Mega Baller
    Covid forced me to set up a home gym in the garage and it's been one of the best decisions we've ever made. Stall mats, a rack, KBs, DBs, bumper plates, his and hers Oly bars, air bike, rower, bunch of accessory equipment, etc. and we're good to go. So good. Tons of use all year round.

My wife is doing FPM and loving it ^^^ @JennyLaBaw . Home gym space + FPM is a great match!
    jjackkrashSkoot1123JennyLaBaw
  • JennyLaBawJennyLaBaw Posts: 11 Baller
    @jhughes sounds like a rad home setup!!! Stoked to have your wife on board... you hitting some of the workouts with her? We do offer couples discounts if you're interested as well.. no pressure, just letting you know. :)
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,097 Crazy Baller
    I just ski
    No gym ever. I waterski snow ski mtn bike and dirt bike
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 5,032 Mega Baller
    Don't love the gym but I do like rock climbing and have a few climbing gyms go a few times a week in the dead of winter.
    I also cross country ski as much as I can in winter. Biking is a "to brewery" type scenario.
  • slowslow Posts: 543 Crazy Baller
    Love alot of sports. Strength training makes them all better and extends your activities. I avoid to much repetitive cardio and look to balance my body out.
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 639 Crazy Baller
    I was on the mend all summer due to injuries from the gym. My own fault, but frustrating.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,754 Mega Baller
    edited November 2021
    Cross train year round, strength, flexibility, cardio, mindfulness. Do my best to balance all of that with good food and beer.
    2Valve