Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Tournament Radios

JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 624 USAWS Official
Illinois is looking to buy new tournament radios, we currently have the larger heavy really good ones you see at like a nationals but they are about $500 a piece. I see many tournaments out there using smaller walkie talkies but I'm curious how good they really work and if anyone knows what brand or type are good without breaking the bank. I'd like to spend about $50 a radio give or take. Thanks
AWSA President

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,094 Mega Baller
    @JeffSurdej the SAC owns 8 of these and have worked really well for a number of years for us. They are waterproof and pretty inexpensive if they get lost in the drink. A light comes on when they go in the water to help you find it. Motorola T600
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 473 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @JeffSurdej we use the Motorola T600 also at home and we are very happy with the quality. We use them for both tournaments and ski school (communicating between boats and office). Of course, religiously charge them at night.
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast & Water Ski Bits
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
    MattP
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,353 Crazy Baller
    Just get you some Motorola walkies. Be sure to get ones that use AA and not AAA batteries
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,339 Mega Baller
    we use Baofeng radios, under $35. each but they do need programming so you need someone with a little bit of knowledge to set up.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,353 Crazy Baller
    I'd stay away from rechargeable. Went that route and didn't like it. Just pop out AA and put in new. AA alkaline will last all day with ease, maybe even a 2 day weekend. Lots of choices on Ebay in your price range.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge