Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should the heel on the back foot touch the base plate?

Kris1980Kris1980 Posts: 5 New Baller
So last time i skied I realised that I was balancing on the balls of my feet on the back foot (the heel was not touching the base). I'm guessing this is due to lack of stretching the last twenty years (!) and is probably a big "DON'T". Am i right?

Comments

• Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 316 Solid Baller
  • Kris1980Kris1980 Posts: 5 New Baller
    Well I guess that settles it, thanks. I'll have to think about taking up pilates or something..
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,100 Administrator
    edited November 2019
    @Kris1980 it depends.
    If you're back heel is up because your hips are so far forward over your front foot, that is amazing & world class. ( see above video )
    If you are on the toes of your back foot because your back knee is bent & your front knee is straight / hips are back / shoulders forward - it's catastrophe.
    Personally I coach and strive to have equal power through both heels and both legs to be relatively straight. "Relatively straight" is as straight as I can get them but not literally completely straight.
    Everyone should strive to be as far forward over both feet as possible but realistically very few skiers are ever actually equal over both feet.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• Kris1980Kris1980 Posts: 5 New Baller
    If you are on the toes of your back foot because your back knee is bent & your front knee is straight / hips are back / shoulders forward - it's catastrophe.
    Needless to say, i fall into the latter group... Thank you for your input, highly appreciated!
    Kristoffer (Norway)
    Horton
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 491 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Super cool video, thank you for sharing!
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast & Water Ski Bits
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    See what I am up to on Twitter and Instagram.
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 950 Mega Baller
    edited February 3
    I asked Andy about that video one time, he said he had no idea he moved his heel around that much
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,739 Mega Baller
    For me, the interesting thing about the video is the extent of Andy’s back heel rotation.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly