Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proposed Rule Changes for 2020

HortonHorton Posts: 28,780 Administrator
Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

bkreis

Comments

• Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,901 Mega Baller
    Thanks John for posting this information.
    Gives more members access to important upcoming rules and changes.
    At least the awsa is making the rule book smaller.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

MattP
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,588 Mega Baller
    Most sports now have "under" age group divisions In 2 year increments ( U10, U12....$
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    The IWWF license/tax to ski in an L tournament seems interesting (last page of the document). I wonder about the details and cost of that.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • kckc Posts: 192 Solid Baller
    I agree @MISkier, maybe @JeffSurdej can explain.
    I’m surmising there will be some sort of added fee to our membership for those that want their scores to go to IWWF, but will the L tournaments also have to pay some sort of fee as part of their sanction?
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 624 USAWS Official
    Yes IWWF, is implementing a $25 yearly or $7 per event license fee for any skiers that want to be listed on the world rankings
    AWSA President
    MISkier
    @JeffSurdej, is there any impact to the tournament sanction costs?
    @MISkier nope, purely a IWWF fee, we will handle it through our online registration but no effect to cost on entry fees or sanction fees
    AWSA President
    MISkier
    edited December 2019
    Ok so a skier pays a $150 entry fee to enter a tournament sanctioned as a class r&l and have to pay another $7.00 to get their score recognized on the world rankings list??
    Rule #2 I guess!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• kckc Posts: 192 Solid Baller
    Thanks @JeffSurdej for the clarification. I’m glad the additional expense will only be on the skiers who wish to be on the world ranking list, and not on tournament organizers, at least.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,094 Mega Baller
    edited December 2019
    @JeffSurdej How would one pay the $25 if the $7 is charged by OLR and not double charge? If someone skis in more than 4 L/R tournaments a year its better to pay the $25..

Could you register for L and not pay the List fee?

There are 4,228 unique individuals on the October 2019 ranking lists that skied in a collective 406 tournaments with skiers from 60 countries (90 are affiliated members).

Assuming $7/tournament fee. $104,153 in revenue.
    Assuming $7 for every skier who skied in 3 or less and $25 for every skier who skied in 4 or more $70,575 in revenue.

The 406 Tournaments already paid $20,300 in Sanction fees.

I know it cost money to maintain the Ranking System... but $70k? (+20k sanction)..

I wonder if they are trying to recoup money lost by the change in the World Tournaments sanction structure. Would be interesting to see their P&L report.. It was not in the counsel meeting notes from Worlds.
    The_MS
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,188 Mega Baller
    Actual revenue will be less. I'm sure there will be some at the bottom of the list that choose not to pay the new fees.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    @MattP its a license so yes if you ski 4 L events it cheaper to buy the $25 yearly, I know OLR will check to see if you have a license, and I'm not 100% sure how it will check or handle those that pay per event. You can not register for L and just not pay to be on rankings, I was hoping for hat so this would not effect our regionals/nationals but they way its happening is in order to ski in L you have to have the license. As for financials and revenue I dont know the details of it but it will be interesting to see how many choose now not to ski L. I know the revenue is not purely for the cost of running rankings but rather a shift in revenue stream. Right now all revenue for IWWF comes 100% from World bids, currently up to $155,000 just to host worlds which is why we keep skiing at unsafe sites, so the main ficus of this license is to shift the rev stream so that bid fees are much cheaper and more sites can bid on these events
    AWSA President
    jcampMattPski4xtc

randy menyjayskiBigGerald3
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,094 Mega Baller
    Thanks @JeffSurdej. Will be interesting to see if there is any increase in E entries at Regionals/Nationals this year. The skiers will get the same driving and judging as the L entries. I have always skied L at those events because doing both will get you on the World List. I personally have no need for the world list at my level.
    ski6jones
  • nikandstevenikandsteve Posts: 83 Baller
    @JeffSurdej do you have a link for the license? I cant find on iwwf website. Thank you!
    @nikandsteve a link to purchase it?
    AWSA President
  • nikandstevenikandsteve Posts: 83 Baller
    Yeah! Like if there’s a link or do we mail something in? I want to purchase before Moomba @JeffSurdej
    @nikandsteve let me find out
    AWSA President
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 763 Crazy Baller
    I hear this iwwf license got postponed to Sept. Of this year.
    Travis Torley