Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cleaning rust from a Reflex release mechanism

Tiara8402Tiara8402 Posts: 3 New Baller
Hi all - I have some rust on my binding plate, and wondered if there is a certain way to clean this? I would hope a water ski part doesn't actually corrode and deteriorate and it is just external?

Comments

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    If it's actually the plate (and I've seen a couple of steel plates) replace the steel with G10 plates. You can drill Nascar style lightening holes to make the plate even lighter. You should notice a difference with the lighter plate. The G10 will last forever.

The common aluminum plates do corrode sometimes. Clean the plates with a light oil (WD40). Don't sand them as that will cut through the anodizing and lead to more corrosion.

If you are talking about the arms to the Silveretta clip, those do get rusted. They also break. WD40 might help. But be on the lookout for a new clip.

Usually the corrosion and rust isn't going to ruin things. Ski it until it fails. But it's not a good sign.

Eric
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,188 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @eleeski , I am aware and respect your knowledge, about these matters, but not sure about ski it until it fails, every time I see fellow waterskiers turn up with equipment that is just about holding together, it makes me shudder, I really do not enjoy seeing people get hurt, some modifications can improve the product for the user, but corrosion and weakness in a product is not something that I would be comfortable with.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

BG1ballsohard
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 991 Crazy Baller
    replace it
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,555 Mega Baller
    @Stevie Boy you mean you don't like a hardshell with a rusted carriage bolt, 3 washers and an acorn nut holding the cuff on?
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    I don't personally use the Reflex as my first string binding. I do have lots of time with it. I recommend it as a reasonable high performance system. Reflex bindings do release a lot. For me, many were pre releases. I didn't get any serious injuries from them.

I have experimented with many different bindings. Lots of pre releases, no releases and broken equipment. No serious injuries. This is not rock climbing where any mistake is critical. You might get wet waterskiing.

Rust on the plate means you have a steel plate. Heavy and possibly corrosive to the Reflex hardware. Upgrade that.

Corrosion on an aluminum plate is cosmetic unless it's really gone. Ski that.

Every Silveretta clip I've seen from salt water has some rust spotting. Nothing serious. But I've seen LOTS of broken Silveretta clips (someday I'll weld one back together). Silveretta clip failure is a known and not rare event with minor risk. Usually breaks when clipping in.

Internal spring failure (which will leak rust) can change release characteristics. However, my shells have been soft enough that I have the spring cranked down all the way and the flex in the shell gives me a release. I see lots of Reflex bindings set to the max. If you use the spring, check it frequently. Smooth clip in and a step out release are the functional tests. Disassembly, inspection, lubrication and reassembly will check and preserve the spring (disclaimer, I have never done this so I can't help with instructions). I also don't know an appropriate interval - but it's dependent on your water quality. Oozing rust probably means it's time.

Have a backup Silveretta clip on hand. That way it won't ruin your day if something happens. But use the old one until it starts to feel sketchy. Or replace it with the new one and overhaul the old one to keep it as the spare.

Eric
    ballsohard
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,188 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @BraceMaker I guess everybody to their own, in saying that, for the money, the Rivet arrangement that holds the Cuff on is pants.
    As far as the rusting bolt, why not use a titianium bolt, no rust.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre