Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2014+ ProStar rudder grease nipple -> not sure it's taking any grease

MichaelWiebeMichaelWiebe Posts: 98 Baller
I'm not sure I've ever gotten any grease into my ProStar rudder grease nipple. I've removed the nipple itself; it's not plugged and is working. I'm expecting to see some grease come out at the top of the rudder shaft, but haven't.
And to pump any grease in is extremely hard, and just ends up bypassing the nipple at the entry point.
I've also moved the rudder to various positions, thinking that may make it easier to grease. No difference.
Has anyone else experienced any difficulty with this? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dave2balldave2ball Posts: 788 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2019
    Make sure the grease gun is aligned with the zert fitting.

• jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,096 Mega Baller
    edited December 2019
    A zerk fitting has to be aligned pretty exactly with the grease gun coupler/end on all planes otherwise you're going to get this result. Seems obvious but worth mentioning I suppose.

Additionally you could replace the nipple or try a different grease gun fitting to isolate the issue.
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 456 Crazy Baller
    If all else fails, drop the rudder to see what the rudder shaft looks like and see what happens when you pump the grease gun with the rudder out.
    MichaelWiebeeleeski
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,170 Mega Baller
    Unscrew the "zirk" fitting and check if it will flow grease through it. I have seen these fittings for some reason blocked.
    MC rudder ports have a hard vesconite bushing that can be replaced. If it does not get drilled at the grease port it will block grease from being pushed.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

HortonRednucleusMichaelWiebeeleeski
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,472 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    FWIW, you're boat will handle better if you move your tiller connection to the inner hole.
    Scott Calderwood
    MichaelWiebeMDB1056
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,220 Administrator
    nipples!

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,561 Mega Baller
    https://locknlube.com/collections/grease-fitting-rejuvinators/products/grease-buster-shop-sizehttps://locknlube.com/collections/grease-fitting-rejuvinators/products/grease-buster-shop-size

This thing is the jam.

Kind of pointless if you only need to do one.

On the old boats that these ports sucked to access I strongly suggested installing one of these and zip tying it up behind the rear seat - no need to pull the floor. https://locknlube.com/collections/greasing-accessories/products/grease-fitting-relocation-kit
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 463 Solid Baller
    Also can do a remote grease Zirk if you want. Add a hose. This is done on semi trucks sometimes to make maintenance easier.
    luckyosun
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 558 Crazy Baller

• ProStah_SkiahProStah_Skiah Posts: 17 New Baller
    I'm curious what grease you used? MC specifies "Alpha FG2-100" grease for the rudder port. I have not been able to find it or any info on why this specific grease.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,389 Mega Baller
    Yes early MC platform. Keep it stowed for someone’s next MC project.
  • MichaelWiebeMichaelWiebe Posts: 98 Baller
    I wasn't picky so far on the grease type. I just used what I have in the grease gun - general purpose I believe.
    edited January 2020
    @ProStah_Skiah it's a food contact rated product. MC can sell you a tube but you can cross walk it to other brands. The one circled is available on Amazon

@BraceMaker Thanks, I had found the Kynetx cross-reference, but it is not available in cartridges, only 35lb pails and 400lb drums!
    @BraceMaker Thanks a lot. That information is much appreciated.
    Looking in to this some more, the Kynetx grease available in the cartridges is MD, not HD and has slightly worse water washout resistance (5% vs. 2.5%). However, I was able to find another alternate at the link that @BraceMaker provided.

This one has all technical specs and product description exactly identical to the Kynetx HD, which crosses back to the original Alpha FG2-100. I'm guessing this is the same stuff under a private label. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3M6N1S/?coliid=IXL61A28XGFDY&colid=2MHA1F0J0YRRH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    edited January 2020
    If grease isn't getting in (the original problem of the thread) it doesn't matter what grease you use. If you grease regularly, you will still get adequate lubrication from any marine grease.

So, how did you fix the problem of NO grease to the rudder? And did that change how the boat drives?

This is a common problem I've had. New zerk fittings, new grease gun ends, rubber grease gun hoses and just struggling have been my unfulfilling solutions. Drop the rudder and hand grease might be easier. Too often I just run dry.

Anybody done @BraceMaker 's flexible zerk extension successfully? Also, tapping the rudder box is difficult - is there a threaded pipe saddle that could go over the rudder box to add a zerk fitting?

Eric
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 810 Crazy Baller
    So I had originally thought that a specific grease was specified because of the type of material it comes in contact with? Reading that the grease is a food contact grade it must be primarily so that if bilge water comes in contact with it that it will not cause harmful pollutants when the bilge water is pumped out into the lake. Is this a correct assumption?
    Yeah, a combination of that and a requirement for something with high water washout resistance. The grease lubricates the rudder shaft & bushing and resists water pressure from below through that interface in the rudder port.
    Dacon62
    @Dacon62 I think that's the point no one used to care but probably its greener to have that.

@eleeski - I added one to my old prostar works great - there was never a great way to get in there other than pulling the tank or really cramming your hand back in there.
    eleeski
    @eleeski I will take it apart in the Spring, to determine the root cause of not taking grease. It steers fine, and doesn’t feel dry at all. It also doesn’t have water coming in.
    I’ll get the correct grease from Amazon.
    eleeski
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 355 Crazy Baller
    what size is the zerk fitting for the rudder?
    I ended up not needing to take the rudder assembly apart after all. I noticed grease coming out under the boat and above the rudder itself. So it was taking the grease; it just took a bunch of muscle power, with some grease bypassing the zerk fitting / not getting in. But some was getting in. So, all good. Thanks for all the input.
    PS: I will also grease the steering cable this Fall, since I just learned that exists from another thread here on BOS. Thanks for that.
  • wski1831wski1831 Posts: 152 Baller
    @BraceMaker I checked for the grease on Amazon, but it didn't come up.
  • 2Valve2Valve Posts: 368 Crazy Baller
    If grease is going into the fitting, based on the pumping of the grease gun lever not feeling locked up, then most likely, the grease is escaping below the hull, where the rudder enters.

Dumb question, but do you have grease in the gun?