Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reflex Heel Block Shin Protector

GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,077 Mega Baller
for shins that can't keep taking a beating...
thin rubber sheet attached/deployed as shown.
works effectively so far.

ZmanDanEWishThan_BoganNandoballsohard

Comments

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    Nice.

Where did you get the heel cup?

Eric
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,145 Mega Baller
    edited December 2019
    That's a Maha. $24.00 at Maherajah Water ski site.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Gloerseneleeskiballsohard
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,164 Mega Baller
    @Gloersen I don’t want to offend you, but how sure are you that it really works or that it covers most of the possible shin hits? I think that you get shin cuts because when you release on a Reflex system your legs and especially your rear leg are free very close to the ski. As a result you can hit the release mechanism, the ski, toe block or the heel block on the boot, usually with the rear shin and sometimes with the front one or both and rarely with other parts of your body.
    I have a friend that he used to release so often that had cuts on both shins all the time (reflex/RTP).
    Anyway if it covers some of the possible shin hits, it’s a good thing to add.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,199 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I like it ...and my shin will really like it. Whats the Velcro strap for?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,077 Mega Baller
    edited December 2019
    @eleeski - Maherajah heel holder pretty they're sure still being made.
    @skialex - you're appreciated as a Reflex aficionado and correct in that all sorts of objects on the ski can impact the rear shin after release.
    The hole in my shin recurs at the same spot. Since switching from LFF to RFF and after re-powering the TSC2 with the ZR409, depending on driver experience, I've been getting yanked out of the ski all too often on the starts (pathetic); the Reflex boot heel/block knocks a bloody hole in the rear shin.

The rubber flap allays the impacts. @Wish - the velcro strap is inherent with the shell and served no real purpose but now helps conform the flap to the contour of the shell after release. Drilled out rivets and replaced with 1/4-20 screws/t-nuts.

Wisheleeskiskialex
  • DanEDanE Posts: 928 Crazy Baller
    @Gloersen Switched from LFF to RFF?
    Any video?
    skialex
    @DanE - yes, all unlisted, remedial work!
    DanE
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,164 Mega Baller
    @Gloersen big respect for changing from LFF to RFF, it should be close to impossible.
  • mmskiboatmmskiboat Posts: 155 Baller
    @Gloersen why did you switch to RFF?
    @mmskiboat - had to move re-attached Achilles to front, too risky to keep it rear (too much load and dorsiflexion).
  • mmskiboatmmskiboat Posts: 155 Baller
    @Gloersen oh I see nothing to major just wanted to try something new.... all kidding aside congrats on trying the switch.
  • NandoNando Posts: 581 Crazy Baller
    @Gloersen : First, gotta give my respect to anyone who can change from LFF to RFF- that had to be tough. Second, THANK YOU for this solution. I'm gonna try to copy it. What is your flap made of? I'm thinking of using a piece of binding material, but will that be too stiff? Anyway, even though it doesn't happen often, I'm sick of smacking my shin and appreciate the ides.
    @Nando - Neoprene rubber, used .062” thick, probably would choose 0.093" or 0.125” to replace it.

Binding material may work if flexible enough (not too thick); otherwise it may be too noticeable or impair cuff articulation or even the release mechanism.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,430 Crazy Baller
    After two consecutive years of 8 stitches on my rear leg, I just use a spray sleeve with a soccer shin guard slid inside. Has worked great for the past several years.
    MISkierSpencer_ShultzBlueSkiballsohard
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,054 Mega Baller
    edited January 2020
    Be interested to see video looks like it might catch water in the turns.
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero