Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

did I buy too much ski for my wife???

jordan12345jordan12345 Posts: 10 New Baller
We have been boaters all our life but have started moving towards skiing in the past few years (lower impact than wakeboarding, etc.).

She's 5'1" and ~120lbs and I bought her a double boot 65" HO carbon Omni for Christmas.

I bough that because I was using a ski sizing chart that said she should be in a 64-65" ski. She skis ~30mph (hard to say for sure without a more precise speed gauge).

Was I wrong to get her the 65"? Will it be too much for her? As in, will it hold her back from getting better if she eventually gets to a point where she is skiing faster and harder? She's never going to be a super aggressive skiier, I just want her to have room to grow into the ski.

Thanks for any feedback!
Tagged:
Stefan

Comments

• marknmarkn Posts: 429 Crazy Baller
    After reading the information on the ski, I think you have chosen well. HO states it is good for 28-34 mph and up to 150 lbs. The double boot set up is a personal preference and she may prefer a RTP. That can be easily changed.
    My wife skies at 28 mph and normally skis a 65 Radar, but also has skied on a 67 Mapple T-1....way too much ski for her, but actually liked it.
    I would think the ski is perfect for30 mph, being slightly wider than a normal ski, while at the same time allow for progresssing to faster speeds and more aggressive turns.
    Best wishes for a great 2020 ski season on her new ski.

• Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 480 Baller
    edited January 2020
    No I think you did great! The only question I have is does she do double boot. If not, you might want to put a rear toe strap on the back.
    sunperch
  • jordan12345jordan12345 Posts: 10 New Baller
    We both prefer the stability of the double boot. Thanks for the assurance :)
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,628 Mega Baller
    There are a lot of people who say the Omni is fantastic up through 32 off at 34 mph, so it will only hold her back if she were to progress to almost elite level, which does not appear to be a concern. Some people on that ski swear it’s the best ski ever to progress to that level. I hope she loves it
    jordan12345
    I'm 5'1" and 140lbs. What should I buy? I was considering getting the men's Omni... The same sizing chart puts me in a 65-66". Thoughts? Seems kind of weird to get a nearly identical (bigger boot size) ski as my wife.
    Stefan
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,160 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    No
    Shut up and ski
  • marknmarkn Posts: 429 Crazy Baller
    You funny guy lpskier!!
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 576 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @jordan12345 what is your skiing level? Boat speed? Course or no course? Just to get a sense of whether Carbon Omni is the right choice or not.
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast & Water Ski Bits
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
  • GarnGarn Posts: 570 Crazy Baller
    Why does it seem weird to get the same size as your wife? Your the same height and you're only 20 lbs heavier.
    Sorry. I put 5'1" for me and i meant to put 5'11". So im 10 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier. I'm planning to start running a course this year. Skiing level is intermediate at best. Now that i'm done wakeboarding i'll be putting all my effort at skiing. I know I can become pretty good within the next year or two.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,213 Mega Baller
    @jordan12345 The more highly skilled your skiing friends are the quicker you will improve. Chose wisely!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    cougfan
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,655 Mega Baller
    @jordan12345 I've got a few inches on you and another 40 lbs using the 67" syndicate omni. I bought a 65 for my sister in law and have ridden it even being quite a lot heavier than you. So long as you're going 28 or 30+ I bet you're on the right one.