Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

B5/G5 Passes AWSA Board...takes effect now!

JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 674 USAWS Official
edited January 26 in Rules/Politics/Issues
Yesterday the AWSA Board passed the final stage of its migration to 2 year youth divisions by implementing B5/G5. The board also voted to make this change retroactive to the previous nationals so that it ties into the previously formed B4/G4 divisions.

So starting today B1/G1 remains U10, B2/G2 is U12, B3/G3 is U14, B4/G4 is U16, and B5/G5 is U18. The programming for this was released today so we would love more testing eyeballs to make sure everyone and their scores are correct. We still have some overall and qualification issues to work out but if anyone sees anything out of the ordinary please DM me so we have this 100% accurate before 2020 tourneys begin.

http://www.usawaterski.org/rankings/View-StandingsHQ.asp?pvar=National
AWSA President
klindyScarletArrow

Comments

• sunperchsunperch Posts: 266 Crazy Baller
    Looks like the Nationals schedule that was released earlier this week does not include B5/G5. When can we expect the revised schedule so we know when our kids ski?
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 674 USAWS Official
    @sunperch ill get on that but pretty sure the plan is to run it right after all the 4’s b/c that way the total numbers and times are not effected.
    AWSA President
    @JeffSurdej Great, thanks!
    @JeffSurdej OK, sitting down with family and we are all confused......what is the max speed for the new B4 division? Is it 36mph like before???
    @sunperch no changes in any slalom or jump, we simply took B4 (old old B3) and split it into 2 groups
    AWSA President
    AWSA President
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 822 Crazy Baller
    While I think this is a great move, I would like to see the speeds changed so that B1-28mph, B2-30mph, B3-32mph, B4-34mph, B5-36mph.

I know it was probably considered and discussed; and can already be somewhat accomplished through ZBS; and I understand it would have brought about a different set of problems with past records.

I just think it makes sense because elite level juniors could always ski in a higher division if they wanted a higher max speed or more competition, but for the average skier in a tournament this feels like (subjectively) the right speed.
    Anthony Warren
    Bill22
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,204 Mega Baller
    @ScarletArrow write a proposal.. feelings don’t make changes around here.
    klindyBroussardGar
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,805 Mega Baller
    This could go a bit further. What about Boys Alex, Girls Becky, etc, etc. We could just go ahead and order the trophies when dues are paid for the year.
    Bruce_ButterfieldBigGerald3JWebSkisunperch
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,528 Administrator
    edited January 29
    @MrJones Funny-ish but I expect more concise objection from you. I am kicking myself for not making a bigger deal out of this rule change before it was voted on. I am pretty sure I am against it. My push back would have been that if we do not have full divisions already then more divisions means less competition. I missed my chance to push back so I really can't carp.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 330 Crazy Baller
    I am mostly with @Bruce_Butterfield on this, but not as vehemently. I get the idea of U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18, but there currently aren’t enough skiers to make local tournaments and even Regionals populated enough for such narrow divisions. However, perhaps it will encourage more participants who will now feel competitive in their divisions. I think B/G1, B/G2 and B/G3 were ok the way they were last year. Not everyone should medal every time. Those who want it enough will strive to get better, and those who do medal will feel more sense of accomplishment than just medaling for merely showing up.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,755 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @JeffSurdej would you mind pulling and posting the data for the number of entrants in all the 2019 Regional Championships by division and event for B/G1,2,3 and compare to what those entrants would be under the B/G1,2,3,4,5?

I suspect it will be enlightening and sure hope this was evaluated prior to the rules committee and the board voting on it.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 494 Solid Baller
    Same could be said for W3 and above, usually less than 5 compete in jump nationally.
    Bill22
  • InboardfixInboardfix Posts: 115 Baller
    In our area the only tournaments where anyone gets awards are the States (other than Regionals and Nationals). My daughter started competing in 2011 and often was the only competitor in G1. In the following years a girl one year younger started being a regular so usually it was the 2 of them only all the way through G3/4. Sometimes there would be up to 4 in her division at the States. One time Mr. Jones' daughter came over to Ski Chaste to make it 3 G1 competitors at a non States but pretty sure that was the only time she competed against more than 1 other than States all the way through G3/G4.

My point is I don't see where much has changed with the new divisions and understand the hope in why the change was made. That hope is the new divisions will stimulate youth competitors to continue competing at the Regional/National level every year and not skip a couple years after moving up to the next division. During this gap in competing at the Reg/Nat level many skiers find other hobbies/alternatives to skiing. An additional hope is this will have a trickle down effect and stimulate kids to compete at local tournaments because they won't feel so overwhelmed competing against a kid 3 years older they know are out of their league (performance wise).

Will this change grow the youth divisions/sport? It will take years to know but it's worth a try. My daughter skipped at least one year participating at Regionals/Nationals every division change because she didn't really feel competitive and I didn't want to take time off work/lose money/time to have her be frustrated. We probably wouldn't have skipped those years if the divisions were as they are now.

@Sunperch I really don't understand why your surprised. I get confused every time I sit down for diner w/your family too.
    ALPJrescmanazebuechsr
  • HortonHorton Posts: 29,528 Administrator
    edited January 29
    I got to support @JeffSurdej on this one. As I said before I disagree with this rule change but we had the opportunity to talk about it and it was not a secret and there was not much discussion before the rules passed. We didn't talk about it the first time it came up so I don't think we have much ground to stand on bitching about it now.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Mick04
    Don’t forget that there will be more opportunities for skiers to ski Regionals and Nationals now through the State Championship podium LCQ.
    Though I agree the divisions will be smaller and there will be an increased cost of medals.
    ALPJr
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 494 Solid Baller
    I would say kids are more likely to ski in a scarce division than an adult. Placing 3rd, out of 3, at my first tournament which was State, heavily influenced my interest and participation in skiing for LIFE.
    edited January 29
    My 17yo G3, scratch that, G4, scrach that, G5 skier said she wants to quit skiing because it is becoming a joke with all of the rule changes. She is choosing to swim in college instead of skiing where qualifications and results are evident and consistent.
    edited January 29
    @sunperch NCWSA/collegiate skiing is completely different. There is only 1 division and the rules don’t change that much. It’s the most fun on the water. She will more than likely be a skier the rest of her life if she does it. Don’t let a few rule changes change her outlook on the sport. The intention is good from the powers that be.

Personally I voted against this rule change.
    MISkier
    @MattP She has witnessed collegiate skiing since she was born at her lake and is well aware of what it looks like. All of the rules changes have undermined the integrity of the sport no matter what the intentions behind the changes are. My kids have participated in many sports and I have never seen other sports change rules based on kids' feelings.
    @JeffSurdej ^^

@sunperch well that’s unfortunate. I feel like she should take a different approach to it if she wants to ski in college. Our sport is not like most where the officials and officers are actual competitors in the sport and have athletes representation at all levels of governance. Not may sports can say that. I never seen feelings change the rules in any council or board meeting.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,020 Mega Baller
    edited January 30
    I am not sure what all the sports have gone to 2 year age groups means.
    Just did a quick google.
    Swimming and wrestling were the only two I found that are utilizing 2 year age divisions. Funny they just announced a age group change also.
    Baseball , football and basket ball was a mish mash with 8 and under 10 and under and then any thing from 3 year age groups to 4 year age group for the older juniors 17/18 and under
    Just a thought usa wrestling, aau swimming are affiliated with usoc! Hmm!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

I think the perfect situation we should have done was 3 groups of 3 years. 10-12,13-15, 16-18 maybe.
    AWSA President
    NikolGBill22