2021Survey ConnellyDV8

Fill out the BallOfSpray reader survey for a chance to win a Connelly DV8

Dripless Packing Dripping - 2016 SN200 — BallOfSpray Water Ski Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dripless Packing Dripping - 2016 SN200

brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 341 Crazy Baller
Towards the end of last season, the 4th season on my 2016 200, the shaft packing started dripping to the point where the bilge comes on after every pass. I want to fix it before I put the boat back in this spring, but there is nothing to tighten or grease.

A quick internet search suggests I might need to buy new dripless packing kit, which requires removing the shaft from transmission to install. Mechanical ballers who have worked on this problem, is this the only way to fix leak? If so, my big concern would be reinstalling the shaft with good alignment. Is this a real concern or is it monkey proof?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• skierjpskierjp Posts: 972 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    By removing the shaft you will not have to do a realignment. Are you sure it’s the dripless packing?
  • ResponseSkierResponseSkier Posts: 7 Baller
    edited March 2020
    I'm doing the same thing right now on my TXi. Buy the Dripless Glide Shaft Seal. Removing the shaft from the trans is the easy part, getting the coupler off the trans is the harder part. Once you get the parts, leave a day to work on it and you will get it done.

This video has good tips: https://youtube.com/watch?v=s9_K7EnH1wY
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 341 Crazy Baller
    @skierjp
    Pretty sure. I can see the water dripping from it. Boat has 700hrs. Leak started about 650hrs.
    @ResponseSkier
    I’d rather not spend a day working on it. I’m pretty busy these days. Sounds like I should open the wallet and drop it off at dealer.
    Jody_SealKRoundyliquid d
  • DougDoug Posts: 46 Baller
    Call me Brett 909-223-4427
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 541 Crazy Baller
    Is this a common thing with dripless packing?

I have never had a boat with one but have toyed with the idea installing one. I always stop after I realize I could change my packing 20 times for the time and money it would cost me to install a dripless packing in the aftermarket.
    swc5150MDB1056
  • jimskijimski Posts: 586 Crazy Baller
    There pressure sealed
    I would make sure it’s adjusted properly before I replace it
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 88 Baller
    Our dripless seal is dripping....excessively. Can these units be adjusted? We have a 2019 SN 200 with 400 hrs on it.
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 91 Baller
    not sure with these newer boats but we always used graphite string, wrap around the shaft and reset the nut that secures the packing... took about 4 min to do
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 341 Crazy Baller
    No adjustment. Need to replace. I bought the seal from Miami Nautique this spring and had a local boat mechanic replace it. He said the internal wear that caused the leak was from shaft misalignment. I hit a submerged branch and wasted a prop when the boat had about 10hrs on it. Never a noticeable vibration, but just enough to wear the seal over time. He saved the old seal for me. The wear and thus the cause were obvious.
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 88 Baller
    @brettmainer thanks for the input. I was hoping I was missing something.