Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Octane fuel do you put in your boat?

HortonHorton Posts: 28,780 Administrator
What Octane fuel do you put in your boat?
Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

What Octane fuel do you put in your boat? 53 votes

Regular
60%
HortonthagerMarcodislandA_BRichardDoaneKelvinThan_BoganAndredave2ballraynigkyaMarkTimmjayskiJackQwawaskrEricKelleychris_loganTaperflexdbski 32 votes
Mid Grade
18%
Chad_Scottunksskisskier2788Pat MALPJrMISkierjimskidvskiersgreggIndyskier 10 votes
Premium
20%
jhughesadamhcaldwellskiinxsGolfguybikesrusDonTKRoundyadkh2oskierScottScottpcmcon729MichaelWiebe 11 votes

Comments

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,341 Mega Baller
    Regular
    The Ski Brendella runs best on regular.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,780 Administrator
    Regular
    I'm really asking about newer boats...
    Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,341 Mega Baller
    Regular
    @Horton I ran all my MC promos on 87, that was 2010 thru 2014 boats
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 391 Crazy Baller
    edited March 14
    Premium
    Only 91 or higher goes in my 200.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,846 Mega Baller
    Regular
    I use what the manual says for minimum octane and I stay away from alcohol percentages greater than those recommended. I use no alcohol fuel when I can.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,787 Mega Baller
    Mid Grade
    If I’m at a gas station without recreational fuel (no ethanol), I use 89 octane, which is what is listed in the manual. But, I really try to get the rec gas, which is usually 91 octane. I think I was able to run all rec gas last year. There is a station that sells it about 5 miles from my house.

Side note: I only use rec gas in my mower, generator, and all other small engine equipment. The ethanol is terrible for those engines.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    A_B
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,228 Mega Baller
    Regular
    @MISkier i do the same in all my yard toys. I think the car and boat engines are all equipped to handle the E blended gas better. Although it makes perfect sense to do so. I just start running additive for winter as we get close to the end of the season so I know it’s through the system.
    MISkierDeanoski
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 574 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Premium
    6.2 D.I. engines run fine on 87 with no damage, but retard timing advance resulting in lower power output. It takes a bit of running on 93 or a battery disconnect to go back to normal. I always run 93. Wish I could get alcohol free gas, but if isn't available in my area.
    9400AdamCord
  • rfarfa Posts: 258 Baller
    Always 93. Currently on 2013 5.7 ILMOR, before on 2008 INDMAR Monsoon. Wayback, on 2000 PCM GT40
    Rui Afonso
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 1,013 Mega Baller
    edited March 14
    Premium
    The 6.2 and 5.3 DI motors call for premium, I believe they run something like 11:1 compression which is the same compression as the S62 in my M5. So my 200 with the 5.3DI gets premium.

In my GT40 I'd run 87 all day but up by the lake the only carry ethanol-free in premium so it gets premium too.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,096 Mega Baller
    Mid Grade
    Our newer boat was a ‘92 MC190
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,447 Mega Baller
    edited March 14
    I’m not all that concerned about octane, just alcohol/ethanol free. Most of what I find as no-alcohol “marine gas” is either 88 or 89. I suppose if there was no “marine gas” option, I’d go 91+
    Ski2000dvskier
  • MarkTimmMarkTimm Posts: 110 Baller
    Regular
    A handful of years ago I had a 500 gallon tank of non ethanol premium. My boat at the time was an SN with the GT40. When I switched to regular pump gas with ethanol, there was a noticeable difference in engine performance.
    Mark Timm
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 314 Solid Baller
    6.0 200 about 1500 hrs - regular 87 with 27% ethanol (only gas available here) - so far, so good
    dvskier