Sure-Path demo and James Timothy interview

HortonHorton Posts: 31,482 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

jayskiJordandislandbishop8950MISkierTELEljaybeeBG1ObrienslalomToddABruce_ButterfieldBulldog

Comments

• Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 934 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Love it, makes driving like a video game!
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    HortonLovellBG1Bulldog
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,432 Mega Baller
    @Mateo_Vargas - so you only look at the screen while you're driving and not the actual course ahead of you, right?
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Mateo_Vargas
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,482 Administrator
    @jimbrake I am never sure when you are joking. No, I do not think that is safe or recommended. No No No.

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,307 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    edited March 2020
    Eyes Up and Straight ahead for me, might have a ganders at the end of the course to see if my line is as good as I think it is, always room for improvement.
    Never assume that the technology is working correctly.
    Did the Guy Skiing, Make One Ball ?

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

• cacmancacman Posts: 124 Open or Level 9 Skier
    wouldn't the device need to be mounted on pylon?
    @cacman the sensor is on the pylon. The system consists of two GPS stations, some other hardware and two cell phones. The cell phone that you see in the video is capturing the data for later review and showing live data. The whole thing is just amazing.

MISkier
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,497 Mega Baller
    Cool tech but please dont make it mandatory for L class tournaments, R and or cash prize events maybe
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
    jcamp
    @disland I don't think the rules have even begun to be written about this. I would propose that this system could replace end course cameras. I imagine over time this system would replace all end course cameras.

jcamp
  • cacmancacman Posts: 124 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Yep checked out web site Makes sense now.
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,091 Mega Baller
    I would gladly take this system over using end course camera! End course camera is not a way to accurately define a in tolerance boat path. Once this Kungflu situation calms down we'll be running one at Cottonwood
    ski6jones
    No argument it's better, but do we really want to mandate a $2150 minimum, piece of gear to hold a tournament?
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,432 Mega Baller
    @Horton - seriously? After all these years? I am always joking. Always. Except for sometimes, but mostly always. Usually.

(I do like to rely on people being able to figure that out though and not include a gratuitous "LOL" or funny emoji.)
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Jtim3032AndreskialexBruce_Butterfield
    Well what we need is to alleviate ALL video cameras and have just a boat driver and boat judge...since we are already mapping the buoys in the course another sensor on a ski would aid us in any need for video or video review, ski path could be tracked for each pass! Boat judge can review both boat and skier after each pass and give the thumbs up or thumbs down...Might be $5k but in comparison to the PIA of what we currently use it would be a good cost savings (inclusive of time)
    ski6jones
  • Jtim3032Jtim3032 Posts: 89 Baller
    @jayski absolutely agree about reducing the number of judges required for tournament. That said, an rtk setup needs an antenna at least 4" in diameter and thus, for now at least it is not feasible to mount on the ski or skier. Give it time though :)
    sure-path.com
    jayski
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 513 Crazy Baller
    I would Iike to have one. Is this system easily and quickly transferable from boat to boat? Is there any chance that the price may come down significantly any time soon? Or ever?
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,118 Mega Baller
    @dbutcher Don give David West a call he is up to speed on the costs and has some good ideas on making it more affordable at Cypress!
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
  • EricKelleyEricKelley Posts: 300 Crazy Baller
    Horton you touched on a big issue with driving in that drivers are not getting immediate feedback. At record tournaments it is a requirement that the chief boat driver or a designee continually monitor end course video. This needs to be done and there should be a private radio for the end course monitor and the driver. The end course monitor needs to help the driver real time. I would encourage this practice even at class C tournaments.
    This is even more accurately accomplished with this Sure Path technology.
  • mwfillmoremwfillmore Posts: 69 Baller
    Looks awesome.... definitely added to the wish list.
    @dbutcher you can rent mine after I get it! :)
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,325 Mega Baller
    @jayski, I thought of the same thing. It probably should be a piece of equipment that our State association has and rents to the LOCs. We do that for radios, safety kits, PA system, etc.

I have to admit, I would like to get one or at least have one locally to use. I think it's a great product.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    DaveDRAWSki
    Bump, what sites have it now, are they shipping to new sites beyond the beta testers?
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 676 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I have been using for over a month at Lake of Dreams.
    jayskidislandMISkier
    @skiinxs how is it working for you? How easy was the setup?
  • MichaelGoodmanMichaelGoodman Posts: 203 Baller
    bump @horton do you have one you are testing?

@MichaelGoodman not yet but I'll be standing out front waiting for the FedEx truck on Monday....

MichaelGoodman
  • kurtkurt Posts: 117 Solid Baller
    @MichaelGoodman , i have one . its fantastic
    billy's puddle swerving around the frogs
    MISkierMichaelGoodmanDaveD
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 389 Crazy Baller
    My ski partner and I recently bought one for our boat (2017 CC200). We only purchased the boat based equipment since we are splitting the cost of the base system with other members at our lake.

James Timothy of SurePath has been great with shipping times and QA.

Our unit arrived with a loose circuit board - probably due to shipping vibration whatever. Once we figured it out we popped it back in and were good.

We use a hot spot from our cell phones - and not a SIM card (our base station is very close so a hot spot should work fine).

We DID have a problem with not getting a lock for the system. GPS yes, but no communication with the base station. The system was spotty at best.

Turns out that when we were plugging in the USB cable into the USB port the unit was not receiving enough power (dirty power). We were unaware that some USB ports are low power and only designed to interface with a stereo/Bluetooth while other USB ports have higher power. Unfortunately on our boat it was tough to tell what USB was what type of connection.

Went out and bought a DC/USB adaptor (a cigarette lighter/USB adaptor), plugged it in and boom - the unit works great. Good power = the system works great.

IMO SurePath has really helped us with our driving tendencies (good and bad).

Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
    MISkierMichaelGoodmankurt
  • skierjpskierjp Posts: 1,058 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Already in use in Florida