Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 Ion

kckc Posts: 242 Solid Baller
edited April 2020 in Skis Fins Bindings
So we’ve seen the teaser ads from D3 about something new coming. There’s a banner at the top of their homepage now with pictures of two slalom skis called the Ion. There’s also a photo of Ryan Canepa riding one. It says “limited availability”. I guess we’ll be hearing more soon.
ALPJrRyota dbaconazballsohard

Comments

• Ryota Ryota Posts: 134 Solid Baller

ballsohardaupatkingnblasi
  • jayskijayski Posts: 1,009 Mega Baller
    Info on new Ion! If anyone is looking to demo in the SC region let me know I can assist in getting you on one!

https://www.d3skis.com/product-p/10310a.htm

https://www.d3skis.com/product-p/10410a.htm
    customskiBill22
  • kckc Posts: 242 Solid Baller
    @jayski So these skis will replace the Evos in the D3 lineup?
    @kc yes they are...but they are not just a BNG or little tweak to the EVO. The changes they have made will be a noticable improvement to the EVO/EVO S I think
    aupatkingphntmski
    Thanks @jayski
    Lakebum
  • AjskierAjskier Posts: 96 Baller
    Does anyone have any more information about this ski? How does it compare to the EVO or NRG?
    dbaconaz
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,389 Mega Baller
    I've got three sets in on an ION-S. Just 28s and 32s at 34. What is a noticeable improvement (for me) on this ski is the offside. Coming from an EVO (a 2018, and not an EVO-S), the offside is much more "there" for me. Hard to describe - just more reliable, consistent, and solid on that side. Onside is similar to EVO, which for me was great. Ski speed is good, but the ION-S has a feeling of being more in the water than the EVO. Rounder tail bevels? I like it a lot. First three sets were with standard fin at stock settings. Next set will be with my Denali fin, which I felt was an improvement on the EVO over the standard fin.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    jayskiballsohardBill22dbaconaz
  • BigGerald3BigGerald3 Posts: 51 Baller
    Have one coming to demo today!
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,677 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I have watched three different skiers who are not usually on a D3 ride the Ion and all three liked it.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    ballsohardskialexjayskiBill22
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 647 Crazy Baller
    I tried to get @dirt to ride one, but he was too scared. All he talks about is stealing another ski from Horton.
    ballsohardDirtThe_MS
  • CentCent Posts: 212 Baller
    I like the original NRG, as opposed to the NRG 1, wondering how it compares.
    Per D3’s website, Ion is the replacement (next generation), for Evo. NRG-R1 still being offered. @Cent, I like original NRG better than the NRG R-1 also.
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,089 Mega Baller
    rumor has it that with the right fin settings it'll throw a wall of bosons around every buoy.
    dbaconaz
    @Cent one of the guys that rode it has an NRG and liked the Ion better. I have ridden both NRG's and didn't feel comfortable on them. The Ion feels super smooth and carries speed.
  • david_quaildavid_quail Posts: 171 Baller
    For what type of skier is the S version better?
    Same price, so I guess it’s a matter of preference / style?
    I realize that S has a softer flex ... but who is that better for?
  • BigGerald3BigGerald3 Posts: 51 Baller
    Works pretty good, PB 1st set!
    KRoundyBill22dbaconaz
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 406 Crazy Baller
    @BigGerald3 PB ...congrats. !!!! and speed ? rope lenght ? We are always interested to these numbers
    skibrain
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 108 Baller
    excited to give this ski a try!
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,763 Mega Baller
    hello D3, if I ask really nice can I get a Red S model? B)
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 362 Crazy Baller
    anyone skiing the Ion-S at 30-32mph?
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,109
    Bump! Anyone got some numbers to share other than stock?
    Bob Grizzi
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,109
    @ALPJr thanks, great video, but I was looking to see if anyone was running alternate fin settings other than advertised stock settings from D3.
    Bob Grizzi
    Here are my numbers on a 67"
    29 7/8
    skibug
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 108 Baller
    Just got the ION-S and so far I'm loving it! Still working on getting it all set up but this ski is fast and solid. Very predictable so far!
  • C5QuestC5Quest Posts: 390 Baller
    edited August 2020
    What’s the difference between the ion and ion-s? How do you choose the best one for you?
    @C5Quest Ion is a regular flex, the 'S' is softer
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 970 Mega Baller
    Has anyone demo'd the red and blue 22-32 off @34mph? If so, which one worked better?