Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Age Innovative Tricking

unksskisunksskis Posts: 462 Solid Baller
If you haven't watched the Waterski Nation Trick ski contest on Instagram, it is awesome! Unique-flowing tricks, anything goes, 10 sec run. The ability to display unique style and creativeness seemed to breath some new life into tricking, not that it was dead, but a breath of fresh air, it got guys like @FWinter back out on the tricker.

One different than the norm thing that's being done are Air flips, or flips with no wake. Dylan Schaffer just posted one of the most solid I've seen. These are not credited tricks in USA-WS/IWWF.

1) Why are they not credited tricks if they are so commonly done? (and b/c they don't use a wake is not an answer)

2) What history if any is there regarding these tricks? (I know of air/wake-less tricks from wakeboarding, as they used to be a necessity in Pro runs back in the 90's)

3) What would be the issue/downside with adding these Air flips as credited-unique tricks?

It seems incorporating the ability to do these tricks in competitive runs could do similar to what the Waterski Nation video contest has done; enhance tricking's creativeness and innovate new sequence options.
skisprayFWinterScarletArrowCooper_Trelawney

Comments

• skisprayskispray Posts: 193 Solid Baller
    It’s a cool thought. Honestly it seems like the top skiers can do almost any trick with no wake, so combining that with the current system of assigned point values for each trick might just lead to entire runs being wake-less. It seems like the no restrictions plus winner-by-popular vote combination is really what’s driving the creative and innovative runs being put together. I think it’s really cool. It’d be nice to have some contests that are just this format. It’s the kind of thing that Red Bull does a lot - one-off contests with non-traditional rules that foster a lot of innovation. I’m loving it!
    unksskis
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,975 Infinite Pandas
    Wakeless flips are cool but really not that technically different from using the wake - once a certain skill level has been attained. Absolutely they should be allowed. But really, it's not a new trick - either from a spectator or performance perspective. So not a new trick and not a repeat but certainly they should score.

I couldn't find a link to the contest. Sounds like fun.

Eric
    unksskis
  • skisprayskispray Posts: 193 Solid Baller
    unksskis
  • Not_The_PugNot_The_Pug Posts: 629 Crazy Baller
    Would be nice if they posted the video's to their website. I don't want or need an Instagram account.
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,488 Mega Baller
    personally I love the Instagram angle and the contest format. It brings tricks to a new intended audience and removes so much of the stuffiness and rigidness from it. Paige Rini has won two of her head to heads in a row by thinking outside the box, not necessarily by being the "better tricker" in her pairings.

It's all just for fun anyways, and it's the most trick skiing I've watched since I was competing in college back in 2002.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020