Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest water ski photo ever?

HortonHorton Posts: 31,032 Administrator

Comments

• keithh2oskierkeithh2oskier Posts: 796 Crazy Baller
    How fast can that old boat go? I would be hussling to out run the volcano.
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,168 Mega Baller
    Being a skier and an earth science professional I agree that's one of the coolest waterski photos I've seen.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    jimbrake
  • MuskokaKyMuskokaKy Posts: 457 Crazy Baller
    I'd hang that on the wall. Might get in trouble with the other half but its wall worthy forsure.

@Horton, you reposted a shot of Pigozzi with a lighting bolt in the background a few months back. I need a poster of that shot forsure!
  • cougfancougfan Posts: 366 Crazy Baller
    I was attending Washington State in Pullman when the mountain blew. Started to rain ash and got completely dark around noon. Really weird feeling. Needless to say there were quite a few “ash parties” during this time
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 667 Mega Baller
    I too was in Pullman 40 yrs ago. Brought a jar of ash to work this week to show the youngsters I work with. Amazingly still has a nice "burnt smell" when you open the jar.
  • mfjaegersrmfjaegersr Posts: 247 Crazy Baller
    I was in Beaverton (SW from the mountain) - still had inches of ash everywhere and it was night-like, despite the prevailing winds.
    jlittle
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 432 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Wayne Grimditch jumping at mooba, onCG rampmasters, with eyes big a saucers.
    Cooper_Trelawney
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,815 Mega Baller
    I agree with Luzz. When I saw the title of the thread the Joe Cash pic instantly came to mind. An erupting volcano behind the pavilion would have of course made it even better...
    dthateLuzz9400MDB1056
    @Luzz @JackQ @MrJones you can't call out these epic photos and then not post them...
    dthate
    Now thats a big ball of spray.
    Dysco
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 580 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @mwetskier to me this is also the greatest. Intensity, strong onside turn, huge spray, Masters… it's all there. Also, the first winner of the Masters with Nancie Rideout.
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast & Water Ski Bits
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
    dthatemwetskier
  • jlittlejlittle Posts: 261 Baller
    @mfjaegersr Good to know for my recollection of the event. Or lack there of apparently. Which means, where the pic was taken most likely did get a bunch of ash. I too thought of the Joe Cash photo when reading the thread title.
    mfjaegersr
  • rogerwrogerw Posts: 23 Baller
    There is a pic of Sammy Duvall starting his cut to the ramp at the worlds at Thorpe - 87 I think. Cant find online though
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 98 Baller
    looking for the photo bad boys of waterskiing??? it was John Swanson, jim Clunie, and Scott Ellis I believe...
  • rogerwrogerw Posts: 23 Baller
    Thats the one Splasheye. A painting though I believe.
    Cheers
  • dbaconazdbaconaz Posts: 128 Baller
    I remember having to sweep the ash from the front porch. We lived just south of Portland on the willamette river.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,696 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★

Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 653 Crazy Baller
    Is that the Backstreet Boys?
    liquid dDaveD
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    edited May 2020
    @Luzz
    Joe Cash was also credited with inventing the barefoot deepwater start (in 1958). He first skied at the age of 17, and had set world records, won many national and world titles, and fathered 5 children before his tragic and untimely death at the age of 30.

This is the textbook meaning of the quote "The flame that shines twice as bright burns half as long." [Lao Tzu]
    Luzz9400chris55adamhcaldwell
  • 2Valve2Valve Posts: 404 Crazy Baller
    @Horton ahh, Mt. St. Helens. I remember what I was doing the day it erupted. And back in 2004 I was on a trip headed out west with plans to see it but had a bad bike accident. One of these days I hope to see it in person.
    harrison_343
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 98 Baller
    nailed it with the trio!!!
    harrison_343