Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Replace Regionals With State Championships?

HortonHorton Posts: 28,780 Administrator
In another era, the idea of the road trip to Regionals made a lot more sense. Going all the way back to the dark ages before cell phones, the internet and cable TV the idea of an interstate road trip with the family seemed a lot more popular than it is today. Add in COVID 19 and the cost of air travel, the idea of needing to go over a thousand miles to Regionals just seems less appealing than in decades past.

What if we did away with Regionals and replaced it with State Championships or at least made State Championships a bigger thing and a qualifier for Nationals.
Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

Replace Regionals With State Championships? 33 votes

Keep Regionals the way it is and mandatory for Nationals
9% 3 votes
Do not force skiers ski either Regionals or State Champs to get to Nationals
30% 10 votes
Make it so a skier needs to ski Regionals OR State Champs to get to Nationals.
54% 18 votes
Make State Champs be required for Nationals instead of Regionals.
6% 2 votes
dbaconazMattP

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 28,780 Administrator
    @JeffSurdej what you think?

• sheskis7sheskis7 Posts: 51 Baller
    To be fair to clubs that are hosting Regionals if a skier can skip Regionals and still ski Nationals then I feel like they should have to pay their Regional entry fee. These clubs go to a lot of expense to host a Regionals. Another thought would be keep Regionals on the same dates that are scheduled but move the Nationals into September. Almost all skiers are going to have short seasons and that would give more time to be ready to ski Nationals.
    @sheskis7 no. you don't get it. I'm saying make regionals a smaller affair and less of a big deal to host.

randy menydbaconaz
  • sheskis7sheskis7 Posts: 51 Baller
    The thing about hosting Regionals is Classification Requirements for the Officials and also the site. In the awsa rule book on page119 has all the requirements. When doing a record E,L or R all the appointed officials have to be seniors. And event judges have to be reg & Senior. just look at everything that has to be done on site to the bouys, towers, courses certifications. This is what makes Regionals a big deal for the host club. And if they have regionals then I just feel like skiers who pass should pay the entry fee. Also these people are giving up there lake, to have the site ready for record tournament.
  • JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 624 USAWS Official
    @Horton I have to give you crap.....you never go to Nationals anyways :)

IDK I'm always so torn on this skip Regionals thing. I think Regionals is a very important part of our sport, its a building block for officials and skiers and a great weekend of what makes our sport what it is, seeing friends and family and competing. It is also is important in the maintenance of record level ski sites. In the midwest we have 3 sites that alternate, that income every 3 years assures these sites to continue to have world class facilities and conditions, if Regionals went away those sites would not worry about having a 2nd lake or buying a new jump, etc. BUT we are talking 2020 and COVID so this presents a new issue and not our normal "skip regionals" discussion. This might be one of those answers that does not fit all regions, in the west travel is a much bigger issue than other regions. Honestly, outside of screwing over the 5 regional host who are looking forward to hosting and have put work into planning on hosting, this is a good year to do away with the 5 regionals. Maybe we let each region decide what works best for them or maybe we meet half way and have semi regionals, each region hosts 2 events roughly on each ends of the region, then we have 10 semi regionals, this way travel is drive-able and the host will still have a decent turnout. IDK, surveys are showing a decent turnout for Nationals with 400 going, 150 most likely and 100 50/50. Numbers will be down this year but I am not sure if they will be down significantly. I think everyone is looking forward to going to these events after being locked up all spring. Th really issue is going to be when one of the regionals host simply can not host their event due to state orders or gatherings, then we have an issue :) Anyways lets see where Nationals will be after this morning and keep monitoring regionals and see if a move needs to be made.
    AWSA President
    Broussarddisland
  • lazznlazzn Posts: 42 Baller
    The better question I think is does this help boost state tournament attendances? I feel like this may be the more important effect
    Wisconsin Waterski Team
    MattPMISkierrandy meny
  • sunperchsunperch Posts: 248 Crazy Baller
    @sheskis7 the problem with moving Nationals later is the kids will have already gone back to school making travel much more difficult. They also will have started fall Sports at the middle school and high school level.
  • gjohnsongjohnson Posts: 330 Solid Baller
    Probably very little would happen. Skiers have made up their minds about Nationals already. Spending 5K for one round of slalom isn’t that appealing to most people.
    Greg Johnson ~ Team Beer
    Hortonrandy meny
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 421 Solid Baller
    Lucky to fill most divisions these days at Regionals, let alone State.
    2 things...
    many states do not have state champs

one of the things that keep me from Nationals is the travel cost of the two trips.

MISkierrandy menyaupatking