How would you rate these boat paths?

HortonHorton Posts: 31,685 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

How would you rate these boat paths? 32 votes

This is Class L or R quality driving
12%
drewbrooksMoskier3evBrianKennedy91 4 votes
This is Class C quality driving
53%
ScarletArrowski6jonesskibugdislandskiepChad_ScottThan_BoganmatthewbrownigkyaricosavaiusiniDkLkSkrrodeconGolfguyTravisNWColeGiacopuzziTEL 17 votes
This is Class F quality driving
34%
HortonLZywicki1scokeKelvinMattPh2oskiski4xtcjerrymjimskidvskierScottScott 11 votes
Rich

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,685 Administrator
    Hey to be clear - I do not personally know the driver but his reputation is solid. I am not attacking him personally. More than likely he was just having an off morning. I get that 100%

On the other hand I have lost patience with the system to weed these scores out of the books. CLASS L means something. It is a higher standard. If the driver has an off day that is understandable but that does not mean the scores should stand as Class L.

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

NameUnavailabledbaconaz
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 7,001 Mega Baller
    The second time he's coming at the camera, the path is pretty bad. But overall I think this meets my expectation for class C. (I got bored after a few. If this gets worse in the second half, that might sway me to F.)
    I also place some blame on the boat judge, who should have pointed out the driver was consistently toward the left.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    WishAndrerobmollysilverlake
  • HortonHorton Posts: 31,685 Administrator
    @Than_Bogan second to last skier runs 41 off & gets 1 @ 43. watch the 41.

• ricorico Posts: 361 Crazy Baller
    @Horton I like to put a line on a bigger screen to watch the path like when monitoring tournaments.
    I think Freddie's 41 is actually not too bad. the driver is almost a foot to the right through the gates which would make it harder for Freddie then he's pretty good until 5 balls where the driver is actually a few inches to the left which again I would imagine would make it harder for the Fred.
    Having said that some other passes have variances of more than a few inches with some passes where the driver is not centered or let the skier take the boat.

I personally blame the chief boat driver (not sure who that was). They should ensure they know their driver, and someone always watch them and adjust their driving after each pass. (hey in the boat please move 2 inches to the left, or counter earlier on 1, 3...)
    It is safe to say that nobody was watching the driver or no feedback was provided.

My two cents, people need to care more, especially when the best in the worlds are skiing on a L,R. If people don't care, they should let someone else chief or drive.

Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - Denali C-85 - Reflex
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,314 Mega Baller
    Class L/R is required to have an official monitoring the end course video at all times. Where was this official? It's crap like this that's forcing the governing bodies to move toward requiring the new GPS based real-time course monitoring. That's just going to drive up the cost of participation in the sport even more.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    Skiwoodgate
  • jimskijimski Posts: 616 Crazy Baller
    A couple of those passes should of had re-rides imo
    Those are wide boats to keep in the course
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 466 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I am sure glad no one has a video of me trying to drive a couple of monsters at 39/41 when they get out of sync. If you watch just to pylon it is not as significant then if you are looking at the boat. Frankly I find it amazing that any driver can keep the pylon within the cumulative deviation required for a record to be approved, particularly with a large aggressive skier.
    AndreadamhcaldwellDanEJohnburns2
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,285 Mega Baller
    Id hope I'm not being short sided like that, even in a class C. Totally out of sync.
    aussiemc
  • jimskijimski Posts: 616 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2020
    @darinmontgomery Canadian level 3 judge and driver slalom , trick and jump = US senior Driver & judge
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 921 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2020
    @darinmontgomery well said. I happened to be at that tournament and the conditions were not ideal by any means. Either wind or rain or both wind and rain while skiing . The driver in this video did an awesome job as did the other 2 drivers given the conditions.
    BG1Johnburns2
  • darinmontgomerydarinmontgomery Posts: 27 Baller
    @dave2ball thank you for mentioning the conditions. I believe it was raining during most if not all of the Open Men’s skiing.

@jimski appreciate you sharing your ratings
    Johnburns2
  • ScottScottScottScott Posts: 1,285 Mega Baller
    edited June 2020
    So I guess the question of what is the intent of this post/poll.....? If looking strictly at the boat path video as an example of less than ideal boat path....then it is what it is. Anyone that knows the tournament, and the conditions that day, would say its understandable and they did a commendable job. Later that day there were tornado warnings in the area also.

I can't now, but knowing the conditions and the way the poll questions are phrased, I would say it is L/R "quality" driving. The end result on a normal day wouldn't be, but the quality of driving was.

I would think they would have taken a minute to set the time stamp on the DVR......it certainly wasn't 2013.
    MattP
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 921 Crazy Baller
    @skierjp @darinmontgomery both of you are correct. Open men was run in rain and wind. When it came to Jon Travers it was raining so hard the event had to be stopped until the rain was manageable able for skiing. The majority of the day was very challenging for both driver and skiers.
    skierjp
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,721 Mega Baller
    Most positive waterski post on BOS for a while!
    Wonder what the opening poster was going with this...?
    My ski finish in 16.95 ...but my ass is out of tolerance!
    drew
  • darinmontgomerydarinmontgomery Posts: 27 Baller
    @drew very well said and often taken for granted. Thank you for shutting down the lake, providing world class experiences for the skiers, judges, and drivers, as well as, being the LOC of the tournament.
    BorisLdrew
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,632 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Crazy how these thing play out. A few years ago they suspended drivers.
    Shut up and ski