Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slalom courses near Knoxville Tennessee

McknightMcknight Posts: 3 New Baller
We are looking at moving to the Knoxville area within the next year, ideally on a public lake with a slalom course. I grew up on a lake and the family and I are missing the water. We like the idea of being able to go out and cruise on the open water or go to some restaurants/bars on the water from time time to time, while also being within a reasonable distance to a slalom course. I’ve done some research and we’ve got our eye on Norris, Melton Hill, Douglas, and Ft. Loudoun. Norris seems to offer it all except it isn’t the most convenient to downtown Knoxville. I’ve found recent discussions online talking about courses at cove creek on Norris and Melton hill, and old discussions of there being courses on Douglas, Ft. Loudoun, and Norris near twin cove. Can anyone confirm if any of these courses still exist? We’re getting more familiar with the area, but finding current info on the courses hasn’t been as easy. I’d be willing to help with course maintenance, or maybe even install a portable somewhere if anyone else wanted to ski there/help maintain. Any info would be a big help! Thanks
(Not sure if this is posted in the right category)

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,566 Mega Baller
    Don't know about knoxville but you'll be 2-3 hours from swerve.

Have family on watts bar lake but that is not quite what you're looking for.
    CBR51
  • Timr71Timr71 Posts: 51 Baller
    My parents live on Turkey Creek [Ft. Loudon Lake]. The slalom course that used to be in Turkey creek was owned and maintained by the UT Waterski club. Unfortunately, the course and the ski club are both long gone (as far as I know). Wouldn't matter anyway as the boat traffic in there is terrible now. When my parents moved there one side of the creek property was farm. Now, it's a fully developed neighborhood.

There was a slalom course on Douglas lake, adjacent to the Mountain Harbor Inn among some islands, but as far as I know, it's gone too. (I haven't been on that lake in years.)

I have relatives also on both Cherokee and Watts Bar. The course we used to ski on Cherokee isn't there anymore. And I heard that there's a course on the upper end of Watts Bar, right near the town of Kingston. With Covid, I haven't been up there at all this season. These are the directions that I got: From the Kingston City park, head south, then bear to the left at the split and go under the bridge (up the Tenn river towards Tellico / Ft. Loudon). The course is in the 2nd cove on the right. Looking at the map that would mean that it would exist (potentially) in either Riley Creek, Chamberlin Branch, or Stamp Creek Valley. I had heard of a 2nd course on Watts Barr on the south end. A couple of seasons ago, my cousin and I went looking for it on a Sea Doo and came up empty. Might be worth investigating though still. I saw youtube videos of runs made in that course. Try searching youtube for course videos based on location and then see if you can engage the posters for info.

Sorry this isn't much help for what you're looking for.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,242 Mega Baller
    Knoxville is a small mecca of skiing. MasterCraft & Malibu both are built in the area and both have ski lakes that they use for testing & skiers who ski at both sites along with the river. The "new" Bryant 200 is made there as well now.

There is a course near the MC factory on the river @coach3 skis out that way I think (Public).
    Lake Pryor is not too far in Cleveland, TN (Private). @Lakebum has a course that he skis on Lake Melton (Public). @mwfillmore has a lake NE of Knoxville about an hour (Private)?
  • McknightMcknight Posts: 3 New Baller
    Thanks everyone for the info. I was having a hard time trying to find the courses on Douglas via google maps, makes sense if it isn’t there anymore. Melton Hill course seems like the better choice for us. FYI I think I found the course on lower watts bar if anyone is interested. Looks like it’s in a small cove next to Jackson’s island.
  • coach3coach3 Posts: 129 Baller
    Melton Hill has an active course in Reactor Cove. There are several that still ski it. PM me if you are headed that way.
    edited June 2020
    @Mcknight - yes please. That's where I heard it was, but we rode all the way around the island and never found the cove.

BTW, there's a facebook group called: Big Creek Slalom. You can find info there about their course on Norris.
  • mwfillmoremwfillmore Posts: 64 Baller
    @McKnight I have a family friendly ski-pond less than an hour from downtown Knoxville. If you and your family ever want to check it out just let me know. I grew up on Loudon and love skiing there although there’s no course anymore. A lot of guys that ski here also ski Melton hill. I’d be happy to help introduce you.
  • McknightMcknight Posts: 3 New Baller
    Thank you for the invites. I’m glad the courses are still active. It’s looking like the move will happen at some point. I’ll send some pm’s. I’ll check out the big creek group as well.

@timr71 the lower course looks like it’s in the east most cove by Jackson’s Island. Google the coordinates (35.6639013, -84.8400032) and you should see #3 ball heading out of the cove.
    Timr71
    Thanks. I see where it is now. We rode right by it, but were looking in the wrong place or on the wrong side.
  • We have a place in Louisville TN on Lake Loudoun (near Ish Creek and Prater Flats), and are looking for a slalom course for our son. We'd be interested in possibly setting up and maintaining a course on Lake Loudoun if there are others that are interested. Our son is eight, and also interested in skiing with other kids in the area. Email = [email protected]
  • oldskier79oldskier79 Posts: 3 New Baller
    I'm part of a group which maintains a slalom course on Norris Lake for Skiers of Knoxville. Our course is up Big Creek, after passing under the wires, coming up from Sequoyah Marina. First cove on the left after the wires. We keep the course in pretty good shape from early May thru end Oct. You're welcome to come enjoy. We have a Facebook group called Big Creek Slalom which you can visit.
    RednucleusDaveD