New website for USA water ski

LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,661 Crazy Baller
So, if I understand correctly, our previously unfruitful affiliation with USOC continues by joining in a website that we are just a small part of. No longer even a towed water sports website, just a part of "team USA" sports.
Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,685 Administrator
    @LeonL where do you see that? The Team Sports page has been around for a while and does not contain much of use. http://www.usawaterski.org/ is still the site of record and last time I asked there was a plan for a complete redesign of the site. Unfortunately that is a big project and can not happen overnite.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

• JeffSurdejJeffSurdej Posts: 724 Open or Level 9 Skier
    new site launching July 4th
    Midwest Justin Bieber Fan Club President
    Horton
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,798 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Their are others who are better to respond than me but the redesign is supposed to use the template/frame that the USOC Team Sports page uses. I understand it will still be a stand alone website with additional features (ability to host video) and security. No idea of the timeframe.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,661 Crazy Baller
    The new website is online. It may be a work in progress but currently not as user friendly. Some screens look better though.
    Zman
  • scokescoke Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    “Entry status” on iPhone doesn’t appear to work. Haven’t checked it on desktop.
    @scoke let me know exactly what page. Are you referring to the column on rankings page that shows if you are qualified or something specific on a tourney page?
    Normal website, entry status. Then click the tournament. Then it allows you to filter by various factors. Easy.

This new website, it just brings you to enter online and general information.

The filters are still from asking for a tournament. I tried turning the phone sideways, that just filled up the screen with usoc template stuff.
  • raynrayn Posts: 421 Solid Baller
    @scoke. You need to click on the magnifying glass to get to the registration status not on the event. Took me a coupe to figure that change out.
    Ray Newmark -
  • DavidPDavidP Posts: 185 Baller
    Launching a new site during regionals and upcoming nationals is not very...
    David Panneton - LakePort Water Ski Club, formerly known as Muddy Waters
    ski6jonesBruce_Butterfieldski4xtc
    @rayn

OHHHHH that tiny ass little magnifying glass on the right which is not intuitive like the previous version and barely appears on my iphone? it worked. thanks.
    keithh2oskier
    edited July 2020
    Magnifying glass usually indicates "search". Maybe it's my internet today, but every page is slower loading than before. Even got the dreaded "problem occurred, webpage being reloaded". Some selection bubbles and text are overlaying.
  • Keith_MenardKeith_Menard Posts: 786 Mega Baller

dislandMattPJody_SealZman
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 466 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Unintuitive, doesn’t scale to user display well. They should have hired someone/anyone that has human factor UI experience. Did they spend member funds to do this?
    Zman
    I see the issue I was running into:

On iPhone, it doesn’t allow you to pan to right therefore the magnifying glass can’t be accessed therefore you can’t use those types of features via phones.
    luckyosun
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,314 Mega Baller
    Flood the inbox. Too much wrapped text on mobile. Too many nested iframes which makes it load so slow. I hope the registration feature still works the week before Nationals
  • Keith_MenardKeith_Menard Posts: 786 Mega Baller
    According to the press release they spent $0
    Keep the feedback coming. There will be bugs as with any website launch. This took Scott 6-8 months to convert our very complex website over and mark crone has spent hundreds of hours on his own dime to make rankings, olr, and event pages work under the USOC framework. Instead of spending $30k to hire programmers to make a website we will actually make $40k from USOC advertising due to traffic to our site. We had no control over launch date do I know it comes at a bad time with regionals and nationals but the issues will get fixed. Mark has already fixed tons of issues found by members so feedback to scotts email above is important.
    unksskisDaveDsantangelo
    The android interface needs work

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

So, at least some of the impetus for this change is potential $$$ ?
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,798 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Yes @LeonL $40k annually
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board

@klindy Guaranteed?

It appears that a number of tournaments that you could register online, and check registration status no longer do so.
    @JackQ mobile or desktop ? Which links or icons are missing ? There is a magnify glass that is not very evident To the right of tourney as far as checking registration.
    Desktop and mobile, the magnifying glass was not displayed. This is occurring for both the 9/26 Victory Lake and 10/17 Victory Lake OctoberrSplash. Previously could register and check status online, there is a red flag, not aware of what that signifies.
    Looks like it's working a bit better, on desktop.

Unfortunately all the "cutoff" calculations which used to auto-populate when looking up rankings. Unless my not to bright mouse moving flat out doesn't see it or am clicking wrong.
    Why do the banners scale LARGER when I scale up and down. Just make them small, keep them small. I KNOW ITS THE USAWATERSKI WEBSITE, THAT'S WHY I CLICKED IT! lol.
    Zmancacmanskierjpjayskijetpilotg4
    The more I use the new web site, the less I like it. Many tournaments can not be signed up for online, nor can you see the status. Screens are hard to read, dont display well, etc. I am able to get into the old site to navigate most functions.
    Lots of ongoing issues trying to register for future tournaments.

Tried various browsers on Dell Laptop and it kept seeing it as a mobile device not letting me register.

Then officials codes section not working.

Polite email sent asking to look into it.

You cant enter most tournaments on the new web site. If not fixed or revert to old site by the end of the Nationals this will be a disaster.
    Cooper_Trelawney