Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Handle guard saved my life

DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,000 Crazy Baller
edited August 2020 in Skis Fins Bindings
Two weeks ago at a lk in the nw I had a prerelease out of my reflex 3 ball -32 and high sided toward the boat and my head went into my handle I have been using hard shell boots since 1990 started with ARC boots been reflex for 14 plus yrs with no problems ever.
thank god I had a handle guard made of soft material the handle Caught my chin a released if the guard would of been a harder plastic material I believe it would of deflected more.
I was air lifted to Harborview I tore the muscle and tendons in the right side of my neck broke no bones and no spin injury I’m in neck brace for 3 months I will have a 100 percent recovery.

but please never ski or wake board with out a handle guard at least use duck tape

plastic is best anything soft material can catch but is better than nothing but still dangerous God saved my life! Now it is my job to let the world know please always use a handle guard

I have been skiing for 50 years and like everyone else it could not happen to me but it did.

FM has the best one on the market right now I hope other big company’s start make them stock on their handles
like I said before god saved my life now I need to let the world know that it can happen to anyone and please go right now and put a handle guard on or at least make one from duck tape Hard plastic that does don’t conform is the best

Here is a few examples and one pic of the handle guard I was using god bless us all and may we ski short line forever

Deano
DWbishop8950ktm300MDB1056NotDeepNotKyleAndreskialexSkoot1123B_Sski4xtcskihartm_pagsHallpassmylemskyJody_SealrfaKKelly2Valvemmosley899BulldogCamjetpilotg4ReallyGottaSkiUWSkierchrislandyjimbrakeToddAChuck_NorrisdthateFluid_Motion_SportssavaiusiniSilent_Sevenchris55

Comments

• DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,000 Crazy Baller

MISkierFluid_Motion_Sports
  • DWDW Posts: 2,307 Mega Baller
    Thank goodness no more serious. Congrats on having the safety device.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,153 Mega Baller
    @Deanoski, glad that the guard saved you and you will recover. I use the guard you show on the turquoise and black rope. I’ve been using some sort of guard for about 10 years. Thanks for sharing this firsthand reminder.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • kckc Posts: 242 Solid Baller
    So thankful you had a guard, and will make a full recovery! Thanks for sharing your story, and spreading the word!
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 430 Solid Baller
    Wow. Glad you're okay.
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 625 Solid Baller
    May be there are more accidents like this, but people do not report about them?
    Looks like guard is not a bad thing to have.
    Unregistered
    ski4xtc
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 497 Crazy Baller
    Wow! Glad you are going to be okay. I feel like I should buy or make 10 guards and give one to everyone that I know who does not ski with one.
    AndreDeanoskiToddA
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,572 Mega Baller
    Glad you're gonna be OK @Deanoski and thanks for the reminder!
    I put back mine 1.5 months ago when that other gentlemen wasn't lucky enough to get a warning...
    Zman
  • BobFBobF Posts: 202 Solid Baller
    Glad you're going to be ok. It blows my mind that I know some that still refuse to use one.
    cragginshredThan_Bogan
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    Same here, I treat so many head injuries in the PT clinic it's a given I'm using a handle guard and a helmet while rock climbing.
    Vapor pro 2017
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,048 Mega Baller
    Started using a handle guard 3 years ago - never going back. Thanks for the reminder @denoski - glad your going to make a full recovery!!
    jlittleDeanoski
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,577 Mega Baller
    Brenda will put a cross bar into her handles if you specify. You were lucky @Deanosk. Glad to hear the Gospel of the handle guard. Being safety conscious is just a good idea.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Keith MenardSkoot1123
  • gstromgstrom Posts: 18 New Baller
    I tore my bicep recently no handle .... Was my first time skiing I knew no better :'(
  • gstromgstrom Posts: 18 New Baller
    Pretty Erie stuff
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,859 Mega Baller
    IIRC, there was a Baller here who started making really excellent guards at a fair price. He got a "cease" letter from the lawyer of a patent holder who doesn't even provide the product. It is a shame that this patent hold can't even come to a minimal license agreement or something so that more manufacturers could offer products. I see too many home made solutions. I guess something is better than nothing...
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    ObrienslalomMDB1056Than_Bogan
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 476 Solid Baller
    @Deanoski or anyone I guess. Where do you get the one like in the first pic the posted? Not the FM one.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,577 Mega Baller
    Thomas Wayne made the best handle guards a few years ago. He’s in Alaska. Not sure if he’s still doing it. Also not sure why he got banned, but he could excessively argue. Bob McVitty might know if he’s still doing them. @AkBob
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • sunperchsunperch Posts: 278 Crazy Baller
    I miss TW, he was a good source of information and very entertaining!!
  • LK_skierLK_skier Posts: 64 Baller

I made this one - took 20 mins... and I haven't missed the handle because of it, which was surprising - I'll be making them for all my crew and kids...
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 838 Crazy Baller
    @LK_skier is that gutter guard?
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 337 Solid Baller
    edited August 2020
    I am glad you are ok. A few years ago something similar happened to me, I fell with my face on the handle, the protection I had (FM) did not let my head go through, my chin suffered an impact that prevented me from chewing for a few days.
  • mmskiboatmmskiboat Posts: 155 Baller
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm just starting down this path of skiing and such a simple thing can save your life seems like easy insurance.
    Than_Bogan
  • jetpilotg4jetpilotg4 Posts: 333 Solid Baller
    @Deanoski Thanks for sharing god speed on your recovery
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,238 Mega Baller

Have used a guard on my handle for nearly 10 years now as have the rest of the family.
    @Deanoski glad you are going to be OK and going to ski again.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

anything soft like netting or like to one I used will grab your head. the handle guard must be hard plastic and connected to the handle or you may wind up like me hurt bad almost dead even duck tape will conform the material must be plastic FM is the best one to use and that is what me and all my skiing friends will use from now on until some else make something better see attached like @Alberto Soares said if I would of had this style I would be skiing today and not in a neck brace for 3 months
    Fluid_Motion_Sports
    h
    home made version
    @ms the net and rope verse will catch your head or face the duck tape one is the best one you posted