Rib injury

SkibettySkibetty Posts: 3 New Baller
First post here... thought I would share my experience of a recent crash while slaloming, training for upcoming tournament:
Crashed trying to cut better, somehow got in boat, paramedic friend checked me and said my lung volume was good so probably was bruised or fractured ribs, not punctured lung. Said treatment (rest, ice) was the same. So I didn’t get an X-ray. 3 bad days, and on 5th day went to my chiropractor who is also an MD. Immediately asked me why I was standing slouched forward (I’m depressed!). X-ray revealed 2 dislocated ribs. Nobody told me about this. So he put them back in place. Don’t ask. Lots of moaning and tears. On sofa again with more ice.
Can’t even imagine getting up on one but I know it will come. It has been such an awesome ski summer until this!
RichardDoane

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,975 Mega Baller
    That an 89 prostar? Ribs suck so hard. Ask your chiro if he does KT tape or a PT that does. Only thing I found that actually provided some relief other than meds and ice .

Also a pile of pillows so you can sit on an incline.
  • AndersonAnderson Posts: 60 Baller
    I'm sorry. That is a painful injury. In my experience you will be off the water for 4-5 weeks. Good luck with a quick recovery.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,975 Mega Baller
    Your doc is probably a DO not an MD doubt you’ll find a MD who does fib manipulation
    Killer
  • Jerry44Jerry44 Posts: 67 Baller
    Yes it is painful.

I've had 5 rib injuries in the last 2.5 years, 4 from skiing. One thing I've learned is that the sooner you can get it back in place the better. It drastically improves healing time. One time I got it put back in the next day and there was almost no recovery time.

This time I bought this and I hope it helps prevent them in the future:

https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/rib-shirt/adult-performance-rib-shirt
    SkibettyScottScott
  • SkibettySkibetty Posts: 3 New Baller
    I need this!
  • Ski2000Ski2000 Posts: 57 Baller
    Lazy gate this morning. Now it hurts to take a deep breath and cough and laugh. Think it’s bruised. It’s tender right under my pectoral muscle where it attaches to my sternum.
    Stefan
    @Ski2000 I'm betting it's out of place. If it is, the sooner you get it back in place, the better.
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 245 Baller
    @Skibetty yep...done that. It took me about 6 weeks and probably 4 trips to chiro before I could ski without a lot of pain. You’ll have muscular issues as well as your body tries to accommodate for the injury. I’d suggest weekly trips to the chiro.
  • SkibettySkibetty Posts: 3 New Baller
    6 weeks?? Yikes😩
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 245 Baller
    edited August 2020
    @Skibetty i hope it’s quicker for you. I had dislocation in both the front and back and they wouldn’t stay in for some reason. It may be because I kept skiing (Really easy, just to keep in some shape) even though it hurt a lot afterwards. Probably not the best plan.
    Skibetty
  • Vernon ReeveVernon Reeve Posts: 83 Baller
    I tried that Evoshield rib protector after losing a month a couple summers in a row from rib injuries. Unfortunately, on the next wipe-out, I hit hard enough that my life jacket tried to turn inside out, and jammed that shield straight into my rib under the chest muscle. So if you wear it, make sure your life jacket has straps or something that will prevent it from trying to flip inside out.
    Skibetty
    @Vernon Reeve - just curious as to what kind of vest you were using. Thanks for the info.
  • Vernon ReeveVernon Reeve Posts: 83 Baller
    I think it was an Eagle vest, but I can check when I get back home in a couple weeks. I think most of the super skinny vests will roll inside out on a side slide. I'm currently using a Radar vest, which I like because the flotation is one big pad across the ribs which I think will help distribute the impact better than the ribbed versions. It also has a boa tie in the back at the waist which acts like an extra strap to prevent the inside out issue when sliding across the water. But after the last rib injury with the extra padding, I gave up trying to add any extra padding, and am focused more on keeping hips up and handle low to prevent bad wipeouts.