Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DWS rib damage (beginner)

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Soft tissue damage from the sheer pressure of my thigh against my chest. Bad technique? Vest too hard? First time moving from tower to slalom
Resting now for a few weeks but not ready to give up yet.

Comments

• ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 213 Solid Baller
    Not sure what you mean. Is this from a specific event/crash or from just skiing a lot? What happened and where does it hurt? More details please....
  • Thanks for replying. Been doing well with deep water start with the tower, but when I went workout the tower (like in the slalom boat, so horizontal line) the pressure went up so much that the thigh from my from leg seemed to crush my rib. When I was tight in the water. I did get up but seems I have soft tissue damage? Is this amount of pressure on the ribs normal?
    Thank you
    Nick
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,659 Mega Baller
    Not normal. Are you starting with both feet on ski?
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
  • Yes. Both feet on. Right foot forward. Was my right thigh on my right rib.
    Might just be a weakness I have to live with.
    The issue will be how I manage i.
    Is my technique wrong?
    Do I change my vest?
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 592 Crazy Baller
    What ski are you on and what kind of vest?
    I don't think I could hit my ribs with my thigh if I tried, but I'm an Old Guy!
    sunperch
  • Ha. I’m 56 and a bit of a belly.
    Wide beginner ski.
    Impact vest but it’s quite firm.
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 592 Crazy Baller
    What boat? Do you feel you are being pulled forward over the tip of the ski? Maybe too hard a hit from the boat??
  • Really appreciate all your comments. GPS boat but teacher is a top uk pro. I’ll ask him.
    Ouch!!
  • vtmechengvtmecheng Posts: 838 Crazy Baller
    Start with your front leg so your knee is about a foot away from your body. When the boat starts to add power app pressure with your front foot so that it doesn't move towards or away from you. Don't push with your back foot at all, just let it sit up under you.
    Than_BoganMISkierNickHski
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 213 Solid Baller
    Do I understand correctly you’re being instructed by a pro? What does he say? (Not trying to be funny or a jerk here.)
    NickHski
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,900 Mega Baller
    Leg shouldn't even touch chest during start. Explain to your instructor what is happening and don't try again until you've at least understood how to correct it.

Without actually seeing you, it's guesswork, but my first guess would be you need to engage your lower back to resist the pull and use your legs to put some light pressure on the ski.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    vtmecheng
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,659 Mega Baller
    Probably also need to suck that back foot up closer to your butt also. If you're starting with your ski perpendicular to the water surface, you're going to get crushed like crazy.
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
    Clydesdale
  • Great input thank you.
    Yes he’s a great instructor. Haven’t been back to discuss with him yet but I will when I go.
    Sitting here feeling sorry for myself, I just wanted to know there is a way out of this. Keeping my knee far away enough, and keeping the same distance as the pressure increases, makes perfect sense. As does making sure the ski isn’t perpendicular.
    Thanks guys!!