Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coolest trick run ever

HortonHorton Posts: 30,403 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

liquid dmarknBruce_ButterfieldKimbymon9400fu_manALPJrBG1BlueSkiMateo_Vargasgsm_peterDaveD

Comments

• liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,320 Mega Baller
    I need to put a ramp in my lake....
    Cooper_Trelawney
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 843 Mega Baller
    Love the rapid set up for the Toe O.
    And if you've never tried it before, a two-ski wake line back is one of the toughest tricks going. There are folks throwing flips who would be very surprised by it; way harder than one ski stepovers
    jimski
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,808 Mega Baller
    That is soooo cool....
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,243 Mega Baller
    Tricky Ricky?
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,891 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I'm gonna bet Ken White.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Jody_Seal
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,403 Administrator
    @Bruce_Butterfield the best guess I have heard is Alan Kempton but IDK.

I think I have a Ken White run also but there is not ramp front flip in it.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 912 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So cool. If that was taken at the same time as the other video then it's from the '69 Nationals. You can see it on the ramp.
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet

• dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,239 Mega Baller
    Alan Kempton. From USAWS FB page:

Celebrating 75 years of competitive water skiing, one photo at a time... Alan Kempton developed the arm sling for jumping out of necessity becasue of an injured shoulder. He developed and was the first to do a ramp flip in tricks competition out of necessity too. He had some very stiff competition in the Men's tricks division, guys like Ricky McCormick and Al Tyll. His first flip in competition was at a tournament in Mexico in the winter of 1965-66, doing the flip "Texas style" (the boat passing on the left side of the ramp). Read more about Alan's Hall of Fame skiing career (inducted 1998) here: http://www.waterskihalloffame.com

Is it time to ski, yet?
    Bruce_ButterfieldHortonALPJr
    Here's a video of his competition, Al Tyll, from the 1965 Eastern Regionals -

Is it time to ski, yet?
  • Cooper_TrelawneyCooper_Trelawney Posts: 194 Baller
    Great stuff! I love all the waterski history. I think the athletes were amazing to do what they did with the equipment they had available!
    ... and Ricky
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Bruce_ButterfieldBG1
  • kckc Posts: 242 Solid Baller
    @dchristman Thanks for posting the article on Alan’s career. I skied on the University of Tampa ski team with Alan’s younger brother Robbie, also a fantastic three event skier. Alan skied for Tampa, but graduated before I arrived. Water skiing was a varsity sport at Tampa back then, and the Kemptons attended on skiing scholarships.
    dchristman
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,615 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ricky’s video looks like Calloway Gardens.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 475 Crazy Baller
    @andjules ....which is why some of the trick point values should be re-evaluated.
    andjules
    Don't get me started on the current trick points...

Cooper_TrelawneyHortonklindy
  • MoffattraMoffattra Posts: 71 Baller
    LOVE all of this! The history, the talent, people taking the time to resurrect this stuff, so awesome! But mostly I want those shorts from the first clip!
    The other thing I noticed is how much air he gets on all of his wake turns. Wonder if he could have been quicker with less air. Makes it easy on the judges I suppose. No video review in those days!

I suppose I should clarify.....I was not at Nationals in '69. I wasn't born until 5 years later. I was looking for cool waterski patches on ebay and found it. Haven't decided what I'm going to put it on yet.

Here is another I found. Sorry I know this is getting off topic.

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,063 Mega Baller
    That is an awesome video. Amazing home much tricks have changed.
    Mark Shaffer