Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which boat (model/year) has the best wakes and why?

jeidmannjeidmann Posts: 5 New Baller
I would imagine there are a lot of opinions and variables (rope length, etc.) on this. Do the new boats offer a superior wake? How much better are the 2020 boat wakes to older models? I'm currently in the market for a boat and have been looking at everything 2009-2020 (must have Zero Off). The best wake I've personally skied on was a 2017 Centurion, but I'm not a big fan of the boat otherwise. Between Nautique, Mastercraft, and Malibu, I'm partial to Malibu, then Mastercraft. How bout you?

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 30,220 Administrator
    edited September 2020
    At 32-38off 34 mph the wakes are all about the same to me. For me the differences is all about the pull.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

6ballsjayskiCooper_TrelawneyBigGerald3
  • CentCent Posts: 207 Baller
    Carbon Pro
    santangelo
  • slowslow Posts: 439 Crazy Baller
    60 century resorter. Cut and jump
    Cooper_TrelawneyMDB1056
  • SteveoSteveo Posts: 63 Baller
    @Loopski yep.....thanks for the laugh
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 992 Crazy Baller
    08-09 196 or 2014 or newer mc
    MattPMarkTimm
  • SethroSethro Posts: 325 Crazy Baller
    Whichever tournament inboard one chooses, the wake won't be the limiting factor.
    vtjcBdeckerDockoelbotoBlueSki
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 171 Baller
    I agree carbon pro. Too bad they killed it. Other 3 Current boats I think I may feel a little difference but not a case of one better than the other. That’s just me.
  • CJHassmann1CJHassmann1 Posts: 3 New Baller
    I love my 2002 Ski Nautique TSC2 hull. But we have a lot of fun behind my friend's 2004 Malibu LXi even though the wake isn't as good. Isn't that what it is all about, fun?
    schafer
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 207 Solid Baller
    edited October 2020
    :)
    MDB1056
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,601 Mega Baller
    You’re really asking a question that can’t be answered, as it’s written. As @Horton states, the wakes are all comparable, -32 and shorter and at speeds of 34mph (55k) and greater. The main differences in wake are when the lines are longer and the speeds are slower. If you’re looking for a specific line length and speed, I suppose a more accurate answer can be given. If you’re asking for the best wake, on average, across all line lengths and speeds, my vote is the 2014 and up Prostar. I love my 196 but pulling a 10 year old girl at 19mph and 15 off, the Prostar puts out such a small wake she is not afraid of the wake and stays on edge into the 1st wake, which she won’t do behind my 196 at the same length/speed.
    If other factors are being considered, like the pull, the question, again, needs to be asked differently.
    I don’t know if this is helpful, buts it’s my experience
    chris55JordanbrodyCordellg
  • brettmainerbrettmainer Posts: 344 Crazy Baller
    The Carbon Pro had the best wakes, 15LL through -39, although as @Horton said, no difference -32 and shorter. However, the Carbon Pro was harder to drive straight at deep shortline than say a 200 and the feel of the pull matters more than the wake at shortline. Everyone has their own personal opinion as to which boat provides that, but the 196, 200 and newer MCs tend to be the favorites, although a top driver in the Carbon Pro felt just as good. FWIW, I ski the same bouy count behind all of the new boats, so other factors such as cost and finish are the deciding factors as far as picking a favorite.
    santangelo
  • Ski2000Ski2000 Posts: 42 Baller
    The best wake I’ve ever seen was behind a 64 Ski Nautique with a couple modifications. A couple tracking fins a hand throttle and perfect pass startgazer. Pulled hard and tracked really well
  • wilecoyotewilecoyote Posts: 197 Baller
    Not the 84 Supra Rider/Sunsport! The 22 off hump is brutal.
  • AndersonAnderson Posts: 56 Baller
    edited October 2020
    @Jody_Seal @AndersonSkiTeam Jody, my brother and I learned to ski behind an old 70's flat-hull jet boat with a 440 Olds motor. The wake was soft and flat but the softball-sized balls of water that the jet would shoot into your chest always made wake crossings an adventure. Had a lot of fun behind that boat :-)
    As for a buttery wake - the Carbon Pro is the softest wake I've skied
    BigGerald3
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,562 Mega Baller
    28 off 34 matters to me a lot cuz it’s my opener and sets the tone. 2014 and up Prostar is my current favorite. My 2000 SN is just as good there tho. All are great shorter.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    ESPNSkier
  • Keith MenardKeith Menard Posts: 697 Crazy Baller
    My old jetboat had the best wake....but with no fins, pylon or prop, you can ski-steer it anyway you want to go.

I did enjoy the jet ski exterminator feature though :)
    Kimbymon
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,170 Mega Baller
    @wilecoyote
    These were not jet boats but pure unadulterated inboards. Propeller v-drive go fast application.
    I did take a few free rides behind jets back in those days, young and dumb! However there were some comp boats in the 70's and 80's made you feel like you were sking behind a jet boat with marbles coming off the back in a headwind, [email protected]!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

BigGerald3
    edited October 2020

rockdog
    Guys I try to "soft moderate" this forum to stay on topic. I should not have to explain that some of the above posts are perplexingly ridiculous.

rockdogLuzz
  • MoffattraMoffattra Posts: 71 Baller
    I skied behind one of those “drag” boats as a kid. Awesome looks, sound and wakes. AND, forced me to get better ‘cause every time I fell out near a ball the rope would fall on the hot exhaust, get melted through and my dad would shorten 6’!
    “Wanna try 38? No? Too bad, that’s all we got left...”
    vtjcKeith MenardOREGON85
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 1,620 Mega Baller
    Best wakes? Malibu M240 brah! Honorable mention to the Nautique Polygon G25.

barf
    boats are like girlfriends you love them however there is another one around the corner - bananaron, July 21, 2020
  • wilecoyotewilecoyote Posts: 197 Baller
    @Jody_Seal I guess I should have been more specific. I wasn't commenting on the jet boat idea, just sayin' my Rider is not a good choice for 22.
  • jeidmannjeidmann Posts: 5 New Baller
    @aupatking Good points. I should've clarified, I'm talking EXCLUSIVELY about skiing the course here. I start a tournament at 22 off/34 mph and, on a good day, get deep into 32 or maybe even 35. I'm looking to improve on that. I recognize that the boat alone won't get me there but, given the significant outlay of cash, I'd like to get this right. I've run the course with a 2018 SN several times and the trough off the wake was notable (as an example). I'm primarily looking at 2009-2020 Bu's but I'm open to other options if the consensus is strong. I used to have a 2004 Lxi but I sold it because it couldn't be upgraded to Zero Off. The tourney skiers among us have skied multiple boats in the course so I'd be especially interested in hearing their feedback (some entertaining posts here though). Some mentioned wake consideration for young/novice skiers and that is a factor, so much appreciated. Thanks for all your input.
  • jeidmannjeidmann Posts: 5 New Baller
    @Horton how is the pull different? Doesn't Zero Off standardize the engine reactivity in the course?