Non-caustic hull cleaner

Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,065 Mega Baller
My season is winding down and I went to try and buy some of the HC-1 hull cleaner I have used for the last few years and it doesn’t seem to be in the market anymore. I would rather not go back to the acid. Has anyone found anything that works close to as well but isn’t as harsh?
Mark Shaffer
Shortenit

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,889 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Elbow grease and Collinite 920 fiberglass boat cleaner - followed by a couple coats of sealant or wax.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    skier2788
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,065 Mega Baller
    The aurorachemical.com domain is available now so I think it is gone.
    Mark Shaffer
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 373 Crazy Baller
    I use Y10 hull cleaner, works wonders but you have to wax it after
  • motoskiermotoskier Posts: 47 Baller
    Starbrite hull cleaner from West Marine is the best, Toilet bowl cleaner is almost as good as hull cleaner
    6ballsjimski
    Starbrite works great but it is acid based and is very tough on other stuff.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_Bogan
  • marknmarkn Posts: 536 Mega Baller
    Just use Lime-Away. It is a mild, phosphoric acid based product. Not the harsh HCL (Muriatic acid based products).
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 1,179 Mega Baller
    What are you cleaning? I pretty much always hit the boat with a mechanical compound or polish when I want it to sparkle and then wax. But I also don't leave it in the water.
    My boat has been sitting in the water since May. It is filthy. I really hate crawling under it so I prefer something easier. With the HC1 or something like Starbrite you can spray it on rub it a bit and hose it off.
    Mark Shaffer
  • skiboynyskiboyny Posts: 304 Baller
    edited October 2020
    Oxalic acid. It’s the ingredient that does the work.
    chrislandy
  • lakeside7455lakeside7455 Posts: 80 Baller
    Try Booyah clean, it is a non acid huller cleaner and works great. Just spray it on, wait a few min and hose it off. It is the best stuff I tried and seems to beat everything. IT is really good at even removing the hard to remove tannin stains.
  • mlangemlange Posts: 250 Baller
    edited October 2020
    Do a 50/50 mix of Lysol Blue Gel toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. Put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, let it sit for a few seconds, wipe it off, then use soap & water.

Cheap, simple, magical.
  • marknmarkn Posts: 536 Mega Baller
    As a point of reference, to clean "mineral salts" like calcium carbonate (CaCO3) you need to dissolve the salt using a low pH solution (acidic). To remove "organic slim and algae" you need a high pH (caustic) solution.
    Skoot1123gsm_peterGWaterski
  • Mick04Mick04 Posts: 63 Baller
    I’ve used this in the past, Capt John’s. It is mildly acidic, but not nearly as harsh as On-Off, yet still worked as effectively and didn’t seem to harm trailer. https://boatbrite.com/products/boat-brite-algae-and-waterline-stain-remover
  • slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 233 Baller
    @Chef23 I ordered HC-! this summer. I actually have a # for the guy if you are still looking for it.
    MattP
  • BlenderBlender Posts: 5 New Baller
    I just discovered Davis FSR gel. Worked amazing after boat was sitting in water for the season. Much better and easier than acid solutions I have used. Applied with bare hands, let sit for 15 min, wipe away no elbow grease required.
    Bongo
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 1,179 Mega Baller
    edited July 6
    FSR works good but it is an acid, i.e., oxalic acid, IIRC.
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 1,153 Crazy Baller
    edited July 6
    toilet bowl cleaner mixed 50 -50 with water spray on, hose off.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,856 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Deanoski That will clean the shit right off your boat!
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    bigtex2011Deanoski