Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cleaning boat carpet

PullhardPullhard Posts: 36 Baller
Looking for best practice for cleaning boat carpet. How often do you clean it ? and what method(s) do you use ? And any concerns about cleaning the carpet periodically? Thanks..

Comments

• ZmanZman Posts: 1,709 Mega Baller
    Pressure washer with a wide spray nozzle for gently lifting dirt out of the nap. Boat on a driveway with some grade to it, and all bilge drains removed. Sometimes, I will also lightly brush carpet using some carpet cleaner, then rinse with pressure washer. Don't be aggressive with pressure washer. I try to do this on a sunny day so carpet dries fairly quick. Only once or twice a year since the carpet doesn't get very dirty to begin with.
    Next boat, I hope to get removeable carpet. Then, I can do the same process, but with the carpet removed.
    rockdogToddA
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 519 Crazy Baller
    First- vacuum aggressive. I actually use the vacuum from the house in the boat . As noted above, tilt the boat in the driveway with open bilge plugs . IMO pressure washers are a bit overkill. I’ll wet the carpet with a hose, mix up about 3/4 a 5 gal bucket of soapy water ( car wash or Dawn), slosh it on the carpet a section at a time , scrub it one direction then the other with a stiff scrub brush, do the next section, etc,. Rinse all down with the hose . Run over the carpet again with the brush to stand it all up , park it in the sun . Comes out great . Can spot clean any spots needing in advance . I’ll always clean the bilge well at the same time since the back panels are already out. Everything gets a cleaning. I typically only do this once a year , and just vacuum during the rest of the year.
    Rednucleustru-jackdvskierToddA
  • h2onhkh2onhk Posts: 331 Crazy Baller
    Vacuum off and on though out the season. Then deep clean at the end. We ski on a river so the carpet gets pretty rough as the season wears on. I have had a lot of luck with a good vacuum, then using a Bissel spot cleaner($65) for the deep clean. One that you can spray down water and suck it back up. I usually add 50:50 mix of Simple Green and water. Spray it down, scrub with a stiff bristle brush, then vacuum it back up. The water that gets pulled out looks like pure dirty river water and the carpet looks as good as new. I try to do this outside on a nice sunny day to allow the carpet to fully dry. Never had a problem with mold/mildew or that musty carpet smell.

oldjeepToddADeke
  • 503Kento503Kento Posts: 45 Baller
    Garden hose nozzle and shop vac typically works well for me. This year in tried my home steam cleaner which worked well until you and Kevin threw all manner of dirty river wood in my boat ;)
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 466 Crazy Baller
    Ours is a mud bottom lake so the water is a bit dirty. I usually clean the carpet once a year. I turn up the water heater and get buckets of hot water and suck it out with a carpet cleaner. No soap. Does pretty well. I have heard you should not use soap on carpet as any soap residue left behind will actually hold dirt more easily.

@Zman I have seen people mention the pressure washer before. Doesn't that back splash all over the rest of the interior?
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,709 Mega Baller
    @fu_man. Not too much. Use a wide fan nozzle tip.