Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whelp. That was fun while it lasted!

jerrychabotjerrychabot Posts: 12 New Baller
So. Bummed out. Bought an 03 Sportster maybe a month ago or so now. Been great, huge progression in my skiing (first year). I'm in NH and got a wetsuit and have had the lake to myself, air temp about 55, water was 57 this weekend. I'm totally comfortable.

And then... Work people came up from Virginia for a few days this week. I had to work so they asked if they could take "the boat" out for a little cruise (we'd been out several times). I assumed they meant MY WHALER. They took the Bu. The lake is down about 3 damn feet. You know where this ends. That was Wednesday. This weekend looked great so I over nighted a new prop. My trailer is 3 hours away. Changed it under water Friday. So fun... Took it out had an amazing session. Come back and noticed the damn bilge is running non stop... Sigh.

Long story short, when they bumped the prop and then drove it back complaining of a bad vibration, they cracked the HDS box and I had about 10gph coming in. Ugh. I ended up wasting a high 60s and sunny day driving 6 hours round trip to get me trailer and I pulled it today. No damage other than water getting in (can see it draining out the prop shaft opening). I'm confident I can fix it this winter, not a big deal just.... Not skiing!

All this to say I'm sitting at the lake staring at beautiful flat water, foliage, and sun and my season is unexpectedly over and I'm not ready! Ugh! Really sucks! My wife and 17 year old were super into it too, he was even getting out on a wake board in a wetsuit not staring at his phone!

May feels like 6 months from now....

Comments

• WayneWayne Posts: 527 Solid Baller
    There are a few repair threads on TheMalibuCrew, here is one:

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/41977-hds-repair-underway/

I’ve seen two paths on repairing these. One is to repair it to like new. The other is to “eliminate” the HDS completely and glass in a tube from the shaft log to the hole in the bottom of the hull. Usually they HDS structure is left in place and just hides the hollow tube. I think there is a thread on TheMalibuCrew from some one that did it this way.

Good luck, sorry to hear your boat got damaged.
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 470 Crazy Baller
    edited October 11
    If you plan on doing the shaft log conversion which I’d recommend because it will be a once and forever fix, you can get the boat water ready for the remainder of your season in a day or two. (Depending on drying time of whatever caulk you are using.) it will be a temporary fix but will allow for boat usage till the end of the season.
    Open the HDS lid, let everything dry out thoroughly, caulk all the way around the inside bottom of the HDS box and put the lid back on using marine silicone.

*edit*
    Don’t use silicone inside the box. It will screw up any later repair.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,877 Mega Baller
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    BMG73escmanazeMike Gile
  • BMG73BMG73 Posts: 47 Baller
    @lpskier unfortunately that is so damn true.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 519 Crazy Baller
    Granted stuff happens - but don't give your boat to anyone other than the VERY few you trust as much as yourself. Painful enough when you mess up yourself. 10X when someone else does it.