Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2017 Prostar steering effort, is the cable shot?

JayproJaypro Posts: 347 Crazy Baller
My 2017 Prostar steering got really sticky/notchy over the last 6 weeks or so. I have 450 hours on it, is the steering cable shot? are there any suggestions out there?

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 29,718 Administrator
    450 hours? Likely need new cable. I'm not exactly sure what the factory recommended interval is for steering cables but I don't think it's a good idea to push the limits. Breaking a steering cable in any boat is wicked scary and dangerous.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly  ★ Basta ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar 

Stella Blue ★ Stokes ★ World WaterSki League

• Moved2skiMoved2ski Posts: 24 Baller
    Yep, time to change. Fairly easy . Goes best if you have a friend who has done it before help. Several tutorials on line.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,482 Mega Baller
    I'd lube the rudder first, then see if steering cable still feels sticky
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    DaveD
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 415 Crazy Baller
    My 2015 boat has 430 hours, and the steering feels like new. Maybe that's because I lube the rudder every 25 hours and keep the boat in a low humidity garage when not being used. Some boats don't have grease fittings on the rudder. Is that the potential cause of your steering issue?
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 825 Mega Baller
    The college team at our lake had their cable go quickly this season on their 2017 Prostar, so you are not alone. It was a quick fix, and as Horton said, not worth the risk.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,482 Mega Baller
    Either way you still need to lube the rudder
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • BMG73BMG73 Posts: 47 Baller
    Tip= keep your bilge dry
    BroussardslowdbutcherJordan
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 347 Crazy Baller
    @RichardDoane , yes I lubed the rudder. @dbutcher as we are building a house this year, it did live outside with its mooring cover all summer, could be humidity. I think I will just replace the steering cable and be done with it/
    RichardDoaneJordan
  • ProStah_SkiahProStah_Skiah Posts: 13 New Baller
    @Jaypro have you also lubed the steering cable? There is a zerk fitting under the center floorboard in front of the rudder access port.
  • MichaelWiebeMichaelWiebe Posts: 81 Baller
    @ProStah_Skiah
    Thanks for your post. Do I understand correctly - we must remove the center rear floorboard to access the steering cable zerk fitting? This is the floor panel behind the motor.
    Thanks.
  • ProStah_SkiahProStah_Skiah Posts: 13 New Baller
    @MichaelWiebe you can reach up along the steering cable and feel the zerk fitting from the rudder access port. It’s a difficult reach. The zerk is partially surrounded by a mounting bracket and four bolts. I was unable to get the grease fitting engaged from that direction.

I ended up removing the two rear screws from the center floorboard and lifting it a few inches. Just enough to see the zerk and to reach in with a flexible hose and 90 degree fitting. Per MC, I used white lithium grease and also coated the exposed end of the cable at the tiller end.
    MichaelWiebe
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,465 Mega Baller
    Cable doesn't cost much...do the cable, lube the rudder and feel the butter in the steering afterward. I did both of these after buying an under-used (like super low hour) Nautique and it was magic and I'll never regret it.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    rodecon
  • JayproJaypro Posts: 347 Crazy Baller
    @6balls , I think you are right....
  • DWDW Posts: 2,240 Mega Baller
    For a zerkless cable I have improved cable smoothness by using ATF as a lube dripping it in at the tiller end.
    Rednucleus
  • skinonstopskinonstop Posts: 27 Baller
    My 2015 Prostar cable had a burr and locked at 390 hours, almost hit the bank.
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 503 Crazy Baller
    I had a zerk on my 95 Sanger cable. Careful how much grease you use - I found only 1/2 a grease gun pump caused the outer cable sheath to bulge.