Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whisper Fin Pro?

KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 501 Crazy Baller
For those not up at 6:30AM on the west coast - during the tournament just now there was an advertisement for something new - the Whisper Fin Pro. Woo hoo! Now I know what I’m going to obsess over all winter.
Tagged:
ballsohardSteven_Haines

Comments

• thagerthager Posts: 5,189 Mega Baller
    That should help the economy! Are the earlier WF's just amateurs?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    dthate
  • C5QuestC5Quest Posts: 390 Baller
    There goes another $300.
    BigGerald3
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 451 Crazy Baller
    Any update on what makes this one better??
  • GloersenGloersen Posts: 1,090 Mega Baller
    Uru metal construction.
  • ricorico Posts: 327 Crazy Baller
    it is sanded with eagle feathers
    Eric Francois - Studio City, CA - Denali C-75 - Reflex
    Jordanballsohard
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,438 Administrator
    @rico Owl

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

FunoRyotaBruce_Butterfield
  • StefanStefan Posts: 127 Baller
    edited November 2020

Now on the web site;
    https://finwhispering.com/product/whisperfin-pro/

"The choice between the original and pro versions of the WhisperFin isn’t so much about boat speed or line lengths as it is about skiing style. Here are some factors to consider:
    *Both fins benefit novice through expert skiers by making the ski easier to turn and accelerate.
    *Both fins benefit advanced skiers by making it easier to keep the tip down while exiting turns.
    *Regardless of line length or skill level, if you tend to approach the turn tip-high then rotate a
    lot of tip into the water to turn (think windshield wiper), the pro version is far more forgiving
    of this technique.
    *If you tend to blow the tail out of the water or to get a lot of tail slides when scrambling, go
    pro.
    *If your skiing inputs are smooth, progressive and controlled, the original WhisperFin can take
    you all the way.
    *And since the original rewards smooth skiing, starting a novice on the original WhisperFin
    helps build ideal technique by rewarding and reinforcing smooth balanced inputs.
    *The pro can always be mounted shallower in the ski to make it just as novice friendly as the
    original. But running the original deeper can’t replicate the benefits of the pro’s improved
    grip at high roll angles and extreme levels of smear.
    *The original is 1/3 cheaper while supplies last."
    ballsohardALPJrigkya
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 739 Crazy Baller
    @jayski Tell us more about this adjustable trim tab.
    @igkya apparently @SkiJay (not @jayski ) is not on the forum any more for some reason not disclosed
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,900 Mega Baller
    I can generally imagine how those points could do something good in the insanely complicated world of turbulent flows, BUT they seem a little scary. Not sure I'd be comfortable with exposed teeth on the bottom of my ski? Guess if I ran 38 regularly with them, I'd GET comfortable!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    ballsohard
    edited November 2020
    @igkya I did get some info on the trim tab. The trim tab is the lowest "tooth" on the trailing edge. The almost verticle line is a detent on both sides of the fin that controls where that tooth will bend when adjusted. It can be seen on the picture in my post above. If you protect the trim tab with a cloth and bend it with pliers (or better yet, use a piece of wood with a slot cut into it), you can slightly bend this tab to make the ski roll easier in one direction than the other. If your 1/3/5 side is not as good as your 2/4 side, bending this tab slightly to the left will make turning easier at 1/3/5. Instructions will be posted on the website soon.
    Garballsohard
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,736 Mega Baller
    If you're not happy with the Whisper Fin Pro, you still have a fish scaler and back scratcher (add handle).
    Than_BoganRednucleusThe_MSski6jones
  • ballsohardballsohard Posts: 451 Crazy Baller
    I read this update about the new fin:

The chevrons reduce cavitation, maintaining the ski tail’s depth in the water under duress. And their upward angle increases their efficiency as roll angles and smear levels increase. This maximizes tail support when you need it most—during the high-speed, tight turns that typically follow late, narrow, scrambling approaches. The pro model increases tail hold so much, it can be run .030” to .040” shallower than the original WhisperFin, which in turn further reduces tip-rise out of turns and increases acceleration.

Sounds exciting!

Stefanchris55
  • MortyskiMortyski Posts: 115 Baller
    @Drago Why are you so negative on fin advancements?
  • MortyskiMortyski Posts: 115 Baller
    @jimbrake I totally get what you mean. The ROC 550's delaminated a lot. The ST 650 which was the slalom ski held together for some reason but the 550's were not durable. I used to race slalom on 207 ST 650's. I had 215 ROC 550's for GS. Real men skied on the 215's. Both were team skis with black bases not the blue bases of the rack skis. Those were the days. I'm an old guy. I'd like to race GS today on the 550's and compare my time to the Masters GS ski from Rossy to see the difference. I'm sure it would be huge.

I think @SkiJay is helping the sport a lot. I like his innovation and out of the box thinking. I've met Jay, he is a humble, helpful man who knows his stuff. Jay has a huge following in Canada on his products so @Drago's comment surprised me.
    sgregg
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 609 Crazy Baller
    Pretty sure Elizabeth Montavon set a tournament PB and won 2nd at the MC pro riding the new whisper fin. Seems to work.
    ballsohard
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,132 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    If she is using it, it definitely makes her tip up out of the ball.
    Shut up and ski
    jayskiballsohardJake_D_French
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 609 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2020
    Pretty sure Reginas tip comes up at every buoy when the line gets short but she gets it done. Many ways to skin a cat.
  • MancyMancy Posts: 21 Baller
    Are there any other known skiers using one of these fins?
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 1,066 Mega Baller
    @The_MS I don’t even know what to say?
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    The_MS
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,189 Mega Baller
    Keep those tips up?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,438 Administrator
    @teammalibu & @thager
    funny but please stop

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,132 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I can re post the video if y’all want
    Shut up and ski
    jayski
  • UCFskierUCFskier Posts: 92 Baller
    edited November 2020
    if ya took the $300 and spent it on coaching it would allow you to progress much further than any fin.
    As @Horton said "its all been done before"! No fin will make you a better skier... coaching will
    Hortonharrison_343jimski
  • LOTWLOTW Posts: 218 Baller
    It's most unfortunate that there is negative criticism regarding products/people trying to improve the sport. If you haven't tried the fin or the new optimized rope, you really should. If they don't work for you then that's fine, sell them. I have both and felt the improvement on the first ride.
    sgreggThan_BoganWishReggieO
  • MancyMancy Posts: 21 Baller
    Again. Are there any other known "pro" skiers using one of these fins?
    UCFskier
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,390 Mega Baller
    @Mortyski - haha, I'm old, too. You could easily bend a tip on the ROC 550s if you freeskied them in the bumps. I raced slalom and GS on a single pair of 207 ST Comps to save money. I've got a pair of Rossi's current Masters GS in a 185 and they are sweet. It's pretty crazy how comfortable fast you can be these days on a 165 slalom or a 185 GS. BTW the only reason I brought up old race skis is that I figured @Drago would know what I was talking about.

Re: the OP - I've skied with the Denali CG and the original Whisper Fin and liked them both, but my coach this year poo poo'd fin technology and got me to go back to a standard fin. I think I actually like the standard fin a little better. Feels like a bit more power and grip and acceleration with stock settings on a standard fin. That said, I will try the others again and see what I feel. There's just a honeymoon few sets on whatever is new, then the feeling fades.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    UCFskierBruce_Butterfieldhammerski