Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sure Path

lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,076 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited December 2020 in News & Other Stuff
Has anyone set up Sure Path on an 8 ball course? If so, what finally worked?
John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly

Comments

• C5QuestC5Quest Posts: 388 Baller
    Not yet. We are exploring that option for next season at our Avon, CT site...better known now as 8Von
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,076 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    So it appears that all you need to do is map the outside exit gates, like mapping ZO on an 8 ball course. The program knows it’s an 8 ball due to the distance between exit gates.
    MISkierjayski
  • C5QuestC5Quest Posts: 388 Baller
    Will pass that along. Not sure our timeline for implementation. We talked for next season sometime.
  • Jtim3032Jtim3032 Posts: 62 Baller
    @lpskier In boat lane tracking mode, Sure-Path only needs to know where the entrance gates are and a bearing to work out the centre line of the course. When the course is mapped, you are effectively marking two start points and a bearing between the two. Thus mapping the outside gates works... a lucky break really. I am pretty sure ZO does the same for an 8 buoy course. You can try for yourselves. In your back garden, map a course just 25' long, then walk up and down (first set the boat threshold speed to 0). It will show your deviation from a centre line quite happily.
    sure-path.com
    jayski
  • jayskijayski Posts: 997 Mega Baller
    @Jtim3032 so was this tested on boys leaving the pub after a football game for total path deviation on the walk home?
    The_MSJtim3032MichaelGoodmanjjackkrash
  • Jtim3032Jtim3032 Posts: 62 Baller
    @jayski haha...definitely a re-ride on many occasions like that!
    sure-path.com
    jayski
    Mapped the exit gates on both ends and Sure Path worked like a charm.

FYI, we borrowed the system from @liquid d And intentionally left the base station set up at his house, five or six miles from LaPoint Ski Park. Still worked like a charm.
    MattPjjackkrashjayskiJtim3032
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 846 Crazy Baller
    Mine is sitting in a box waiting for spring. I can't wait to play with this.
    Jtim3032
    @jjackkrash Send it to me and I’ll break it in for you. I hear they work best after four months of steady use.
    jjackkrashjayski
  • LazLaz Posts: 349 Solid Baller
    A few questions came up recently about Sure-Path or SkiPath. We are trying to decide if we should get the system for the upcoming season or hold off a bit.

I haven't had a chance to see it in action.

I have heard that a lot of tournament passes were ultimately disqualified because of driving issues and that something like Sure-Path might be the answer. However, it could a lot harder to get used to compare with the switch to ZeroOff.

So,

1) is it coming to tournaments? Is it inevitable?
    2) will it mess drivers up (at least at first)?
    3) should we start practicing with it (driving and skiing)?
    4) Will the course path be called out like ZeroOff timings allowing for an immediate re-ride?
    5) Will rules need to change?
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 846 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2020
    Sure Path doesn't drive the boat (at least not yet), it just measures and reports boat path. So it is not like ZeroOff in that respect.
    edited December 2020
    @Laz
    1. Yes, it’s coming. It will be required equipment at R tournaments in the reasonably near future.
    2. It won’t “mess up drivers.” It will show them exactly what they are doing, right or wrong.
    3. It won’t hurt your skiing and it will improve your driving. Better driving facilitates good skiing.
    4. Yes.
    5. Maybe, maybe not. Rules to implement its use are being written now.
  • Chad_ScottChad_Scott Posts: 565 Open or Level 9 Skier
    @Laz. It is coming to tournaments. There is a current proposal to make mandatory for a Class R event. Either way it is coming. It will not mess drivers up. Will only help drivers to improve. It is a great tool if you are serious about being a good driver. Instant feedback and tons to study and learn from after the event I don’t want to drive practice or ski without it. It answers lots of questions pretty quickly. There are current rule change proposals and yes it will immediately call for a re ride is some instances. I thing Ski Path and Sure Path are awesome. Actually fun to drive with
    jayskiskierjpZman
    Thanks for the replies.

Technical question: I ski on a lake with three shared courses. Can one ground station be setup and then anyone who wants to use it install a receiver and cell phone in their boat?
    Yes
    klindy
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,220 Administrator
    @Laz
    yes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,589 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Laz or there may be a base station already close by that you can access and not even need one. The RTK technology really came into play with the proliferation of drones. So there is a whole network of base stations across the country. Some are free some are not.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    edited December 2020
    @klindy I'm 99% sure that the system only works with a dedicated sure path base station

@Laz Yes. You can use one base station for several courses. In fact, your state DOT may have a nearby GPS station. If they do, you might not need to buy a base station. You can tie into DOT and use them as your base. Then you only will need the boat rover and one phone. Get a $10 per month Redbug plan for the phone. Using a wifi hot spot on another phone is cheaper but more frustrating.
    edited December 2020
    @horton Incorrect.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,589 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited December 2020
    @horton I’m 99% sure it’ll work fine with them. Jerry Jackson has tested them extensively in FL with RTK base stations 10-20 miles away.

The southern region will be forwarding a proposal to use a boat path monitoring system for all class R events starting this calendar year. With highly recommending using it for Class L and lower. The most common system is SurePath but others are acceptable.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Chairman of the Board
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    @Jtim3032 can you clarify?

Actually @Horton the sure path will work with any RTK base station. Jerry has used one miles from his house. I believe scoke has found one near okeeheelee that will work for them
    Ok. I have been wrong before.

In that case you can just purchase the rover if you have access to the base station. Base station Jerry used is like 12 miles from his lake. Pretty cool. I guess the only drawback is that you don’t have any access if it goes down for some reason
  • paulpaul Posts: 52 Baller
    Any update on whether there is a no cell service option?
    Ski path works great where there is no cell service. Been working with them and Jerry. System works well utilizing radio signal from base station to the boat. Shoot me an email and I can get you some info. [email protected]
    Wow. Really interesting. Thanks.
    I found this list of RTK networks:

LEWIS
    BRANDT
    CANNET
    TOPNET
    SMARTNET

There is a SMARTNET station about 6km from my lake.

Will that work?
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 688 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Anyone needing an antenna mount for their Sure Path, I have them available now...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    Jtim3032