Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When’s enough enough

prkprk Posts: 45 Baller
After suffering significant injuries the last two seasons I am now wrestling with the question when’s enough enough wondering if anyone else has laboured over this and how they came to terms with it ( oh ya I’m an old guy 60 plus)

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,080 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Up to you. There’s a lot of good stuff on Netflix.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    rawlyMickeyThompsonharrison_343
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,389 Mega Baller
    I feel ya @prk. I've been there. I started water skiing at 4, started skiing in a slalom course at 17, started jumping at 18. I'm 62. Only thing I ever stopped was jumping (at 35 yo) because I had had enough serious injuries, but I loved it and still regret it. Have been injured A LOT from water skiing and snow skiing (more on water) and undergone a lot of repair and rehab since 1980. I think I love slalom (and alpine skiing and surfing) more than ever. Never felt much of a decline in physical capability until 50 and since then it's been a very slow decline but I battle it constantly. Honestly, one of the best and easiest things I've done to improve how I feel these past few years is to drink more water. Early last season I was really hurting from a combination of water skiing, heavy yard project work, swimming, lifting - just feeling like crap and weak. I went to a naturophathic doc that my wife sees and told her what was going on. She counseled me to drink 90 ounces+ a day (among other things). This really, really helped more than I could've imagined and I've been consistent with it since. Skied more sets this year than ever (essentially daily) and here it is Halloween and I'm not the least bit beat up/worn out. Hydration, good diet, stretching (yoga), breathing/meditation, and whatever form of cardio and muscle resistance you prefer kind of have to be the norm for daily life as we age if you want to keep at something like this sport. I think you are dealing with the toughest part of injury - the mental battle. It's always bleak at the start, but then you get the light at the end of the tunnel, and eventually work your way back to your sport. Sorry for you, man. Hang in there, get strong again, and get coaching to avoid whatever you were doing that likely caused the injuries. Don't stop.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    ALPJrcougfanDirtMarco
  • dvskierdvskier Posts: 698 Crazy Baller
    Age is just a number, 74 and I ski 2-3 times/week on water. 100 days/year on snow. Nothing like retirement!
    mylemskyDaveDjimbrake
  • prkprk Posts: 45 Baller
    i appreceiate everyones commets i'm not looking for a pep talk more i'm intrested in how others have dealt with these adversities jimbrake is spot on it's more the mental side right now i'm trapped at home bored to tears shoot i can't even drive right now just looking for some insight
  • HallpassHallpass Posts: 219 Crazy Baller
    edited October 2020
    Not a comp slalom skier. But, I do know that when you stop moving, bad things happen. I've had cervical fusion, thoracic spine surgery, and too many other injuries and surgeries to mention. Heart surgery last year, and cancer surgery this year. As soon as I can slalom ski again, I will. Bought myself a big fat Goode trick ski, mostly so I can do something side by side with my daughter who is comp skiing now. Whatever makes you happy, but I feel as though when you stop moving you expedite the slow march to death. I for one am not ready, no matter how much it hurts some days. My vote: keep going and do whatever you can do, brother.
    alancgsm_peter
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 578 Crazy Baller
    Don’t look at injuries and the likes as reasons to stop, only how to get past them so you can get back and get better. I’ve been skiing since age 5 and now at 64 I can say I’m SO blessed I’ve never had an injury . Had plenty of world class falls , but no injuries. Today still skiing 34 and don’t see slowing down. So look at your injuries or whatever is making you think about giving it up as simply tasks to get through to get you BACK, as I guarantee that if you quit you’ll feel much worse. I hope to ski til I die and my family has already been told when that happens just toast me up and sprinkle me in the lake.
    KimbymonRednucleusjimbrakejerrym
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 201 Baller
    edited November 2020
    When I’m too old and injured to ski, my plan is to surf. I know...sacrilege! I just hope I never get to that.😉
    For now, though, it’s all about strength, developing good form, and not making stupid decisions to hang onto the rope when things are going haywire.
    mylemskyS1Pitts
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,877 Mega Baller
    @MDB1056 NO injuries in 60 seasons!!? Are you sure you're not Bruce Willis's character from Unbreakable?
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,177
    Having those internal and external discussions now. And not all waterski related. In fact, very little waterski related other than my neck issues from someone dragging me over an island. Most are cycling related. But in last 5 years have 1)double hernia surgery 2) shattered collarbone in 6 pieces 3) ruptured ACL 4) ruptured ATFL 5) had my big toe bone cut in two and repinned due to arthritis 6) had MRI friday for L5-S1 issue. Life was certainly easier before I turned 45. I've spent less time healthy than in rehab since then.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 557 Crazy Baller
    @ForrestGump that's probably not the only rehab you've been too :)
    jayskiBruce_ButterfieldThe_MS
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 578 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan . Sounds like @ForrestGump got everything I avoided. Yes extremely blessed no skiing injuries. Had some stitches and tears of other things from my extreme racquetball days but those were all during Winter when living in the frozen north so never impacted ski seasons . Hopefully at this age I’m smart enough to toss the handle if it’s not going well , or before I get too upside down . At least I try . Onward......
    Than_Bogan
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,733 Mega Baller
    +1 for what @TonyT said. I had an uncle, who played minor league baseball in his day. When he was in his early 80s, and still very active and fit, I asked him, "how do keep doing all this"? Answer: "Don't ever stop".
    thagerKimbymonMDB1056braindamage
  • chrislandychrislandy Posts: 188 Solid Baller
    I'm only 41 and since my spinal surgery I've had to dial back my expectations compared to what I used to be able to do. Does it stop me from skiing? Nope, Does it mean I can still wakeboard/ski for 3hrs in a day? Nope. I'm happy if I'm on the water staying ski fit and a set at the begining of the season and 3 sets/day by the end and I'm happy. If I can run the course, great, if I can't that day, not an issue.
    BobFMDB1056Rednucleus
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 201 Baller
    @zman I completely agree with the “don’t stop” motto. My brother stopped skiing for 8 years and then decided to go on his 50th bday. Almost tore his hammy completely off. He’s fit, runs, does yoga, but there’s something about skiing that’s hard on the body. He finally was able to get up this year at 55. It took a few hole shots, mostly mental block from the injury, but he made it.
    The_HecklerZman
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 472 Crazy Baller
    Not sure what type of skiing you usually do. Presuming you are a slalom ski/slalom course kind of skier, keep in mind it is still a heck of a lot of fun slapping on a pair of combos and going for a joy ride. It is also a heck of a lot easier on the body. It takes me back to how and why I got into this sport at the beginning.

I love this video. Mismatched combo skis, cheap rope, outboard ski boat, and an apparently pregnant wife driving. I'm sure the guy is hamming it up for the video, but nevertheless, he says what I think when I'm skiing.

Ski any way you are able.

ALPJrcruznski
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,193 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Simple, Use It or Lose It !

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

MDB1056
  • JackQJackQ Posts: 398 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Depends to the ratio (of want to + stubbornness)/ pain and sacrifice. I believe Kris Lapoint has had 16+ operations some minor, some major and he is still skiing. Don’t think many of us have that commitment, I don’t think I would/could. I have had three; back L5/S1, shoulder and most recently hernia, and coming back is only harder as you get older.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,473 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I feel your pain. I've lost the majority of a few seasons now due to work, injuries, local river being closed and wife losing interest (in skiing not me!). I had every intention to get a new boat and really enjoy this summer and rekindle my wife's enjoyment of the sport, but then I injured both shoulders rebuilding my deck. I mentally gave up and bought a sports car as a consolation. Going to continue to rehab and exercise, and let the chips fall in 2021.
    Scott Calderwood
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,193 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @JackQ but what about the satisfaction you get, when you haven,t let it beat you, you know the sort of feeling you get when you, pull one over on the missus, to buy something you have been wanting for a while.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

S1Pitts
  • S1PittsS1Pitts Posts: 261 Solid Baller
    It's not a competition but since age of 34.....9 surgeries (including back vertebra fusion), missed 5 complete seasons, have spent a total of 7 yrs on crutches. Now 61 yrs old and skiing more and better than ever. It's never over nor enough. Believe it or not wife will still drive for me although she does keep bugging me about getting more life insurance.
    BG1MDB1056BobF2Valve