Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'87 Ski Supreme with lots of chips missing in paint

mattcroutmattcrout Posts: 2 New Baller
edited November 2020 in Boat Talk
I'm looking at a used 87 Ski Supreme, and while the owner put a lot of work into the motor, new driveshaft bearings, new upholstery, there are a lot of chips of paint all along the water line, as well as down the centerline keel. The owners didn't seem worried about it. It's been out of the water for about 18 months. What would it cost to fix the paint, or is it a lost cause and I should do a hard pass on this boat, even if it is mechanically in good shape? Thanks in advance!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AvdWpvZSER7FP7FB6
Dano

Comments

• MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 581 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2020
    In my opinion, if looking at that era used boats I’d strongly recommend others besides Supreme . 85-95 window - Plenty of great Mastercraft, Brendella, Correct Craft, and others . Supremes had some issues. To your question of gel-coat nicks and chips, quality gel coat repairs are expensive. Looks like that boats had a rough life . You can go with other fillers and paint if ok with that approach . You’ll need estimates from from those who do that sort of work . Also not sure if that vintage Supreme has wood stringers and flooring. If so another negative . Personally..... I’d pass
  • RednucleusRednucleus Posts: 554 Crazy Baller
    What's your budget; what kind of skiing - course, open water, big lake, small lake etc ...
    BTW Welcome, lots of folks here eager to help you spend your $$$
    savaiusini
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,313 Mega Baller
    Run! The chine lock on that boat is nutz! haha
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 626 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    If the hull identification number has a G in it, chine lock tendencies could be an issue. (that was the G mold) Fiberglass stringers started in 86. If you run the boat and it porpoises a little bit at wide open throttle, it is probably not one of the chine walkers. If it leans to the driver side and doesn't porpoise, pass on it. The chine lock can be fixed / reduced by taking hook off of the port side.
    andjules
  • KRoundyKRoundy Posts: 491 Crazy Baller
    As others have mentioned, but not stated plainly, that is gel-coat, not paint. For it to look like that means there has been some abuse or some serious issues with the fiberglass underneath. I’d pass, unless you want to strip that boat completely, prep and respray the entire hull with new ge-coat. Not impossible, people do it, but even if you do it yourself is going to be a good amount of time and money.
  • mattcroutmattcrout Posts: 2 New Baller
    Thanks all. We might up our budget to 10-15k and see what we can find. I realize Nov/Dec isn’t the best time of year.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,556 Mega Baller
    Um, ski it. Awful wake...stiff as hell. Bad era of supreme.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,382 Mega Baller
    Was the hull painted at some point, or are the chips in the original gel coat? Photos may be helpful for The folks here.
  • skimtbskimtb Posts: 463 Solid Baller
    10-15 should get you a nice boat. Do that.
    MDB1056
  • JohnseedJohnseed Posts: 27 Baller
    From the pic it doesn't look like paint chipping but the actual gel coat peeling away. Probably best to stay away as others have said. I agree with @skimtb that $10-$15k will get you something way way better.
    MDB1056
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 626 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Just looked at the picture, looks like a bad repair coming off to me.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 581 Crazy Baller
    @mattcrout - for $10-$15K with SO many better boat options out there, not sure why you'd stay interested in this Supreme. Just saw a solid looking 2001 CC 196 on SIA for under $9K. Light years ahead........
    6balls
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,548 Mega Baller

The non cosmetic strong repair for that keel is Marine Tex. Tool it as smooth as possible and block sand and it's tougher than gelcoat.

Wouldn't but it as it sits but for a keel you will at least prevent water intrusion and erosion of the gel.