How to improve off side and keep tip of ski down

Charliesav7Charliesav7 Posts: 6 New Baller
edited November 2020 in Technique & Theory
How to improve off side and keep tip of ski down,

I am having trouble on my off side to really get angle and keep the ski down? Any solutions?
jim_s

Comments

• ralral Posts: 2,034 Mega Baller
    Post some video...

Rodrigo Andai

• LK_skierLK_skier Posts: 134 Baller
    A round tail block on a DV8...
    mbabiashballsohard
  • I would try to be less opened in relation to the boat. Rotate your Body in the direction you wanna go and try to have an immediate pull on the forward arm (1,3,5; left arm and 2,4,6; right arm)
  • ReallyGottaSkiReallyGottaSki Posts: 378 Crazy Baller
    Stance
  • ClydesdaleClydesdale Posts: 327 Crazy Baller
    @jayski that’s awesome. As a chronic turn-rusher I’m trying it!
  • rimodicorimodico Posts: 18 Baller
    I was having the same problem I decided to adjust the fin back to stock and magically resolved my off-side issues
  • Charliesav7Charliesav7 Posts: 6 New Baller

Couldn’t get the video but here’s a look at it.

Thanks
    Solid.
    Let's see the cut as well please

I suspect your cut may not be progressively loading

Appears deep in the water; what is your boat speed?

ALPJr
  • HortonHorton Posts: 32,942 Administrator
    Ok guys, I will give a BallOfSpray Beanie to the best reply to this thread and I will viciously abuse the least insightful posts. GO!

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆ HO Syndicate MasterCraft ☆ Masterline ☆ Performance Ski and Surf ☆ 

Reflex ☆ Radar ☆ Rodics OffCourse ☆ S Lines ☆ Stokes ☆

• skialexskialex Posts: 1,420 Mega Baller
    You need to go to a ski school. It will be your best spent money!
    lpskier
    @skialex true but if that is the best advice we can generate then i quit.

Connelly ☆Denali ☆Goode ☆ HO Syndicate MasterCraft ☆ Masterline ☆ Performance Ski and Surf ☆ 

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,440 Mega Baller
    Popcorn on the stove now.. actually Pepperidge Farms cherry turnovers...

Not seeing your wake crossing leading the the offside turn really leaves one to wonder what you did to get into such a predicament. The main points to work into your new muscle memory are needing to turn the offside by pushing your knees together after the wake and drive the front kneecap over the front binding and feel like your are driving your front big toe into the water. I assume you feel safe skiing on the back foot (we all did), and you need to go to unsafe mode by standing taller on the ski and more equally weighting on each foot. The pic you posted looks like you are zipping through the offside turn with straight legs and loaded up on the back foot. As you get more ski in the water sooner before the turn and on edge, you will be rewarded with a ski that will begin turning on its own. All you need to do is rotate the hips around to the handle to drive the finish.

This is the cut @ReallyGottaSki
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,440 Mega Baller
    @Charliesav7 post a pic of you on the second wake and midway out to the turn. Thanks
    luckyosunReallyGottaSkiSkoot1123
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,259 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Oh, WTF is a BallOfSpray Beanie?
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    DaveD
  • skiboynyskiboyny Posts: 310 Baller
    It’s tough to see all that’s going on with just 3 frames. As others have mentioned weight more on the front foot when going in to your off side you should have some front knee bend and be concentrating on standing tall while engaging the front of your ski by pressuring the ball of you foot. It doesn’t show but if your releasing one arm, your picture shows both hands on the handle and I can see some white water but your ski isn’t turned far enough. You need to keep your hand extended a bit longer to let your ski turn till the tip is almost under the rope when you free hand is back on. Hope this makes some sense.
    ReallyGottaSki
    I would love to learn you maintain that angle to and through the wakes but the absence of water in the air before the apex suggests one is coming into the turn soft on energy then grabbing a big handful of turn that can't be sustained, and loose out on producing accelerating power over more area.
    Something may be out of balance.
    As been said, that locked knee is indicative of a heavy rear leg, and is likely also heavy when just skiing straight and level.
    edited December 2020

Bruce_Butterfieldjetpilotg4
  • DanoDano Posts: 249 Solid Baller
    edited December 2020
    Agree with everything above. Looks like speed into and thru the turn is too slow. Which could be causing you to fall to the rear of the ski as you are essentially sinking, and that causes you to rush back to the handle with your free hand to pull yourself back on top of the ski before you can complete the turn and accelerate back to the wakes. The picture of your cut shows how deep your ski is in the water exiting the turn (sinking), while your stance is not too bad, the handle needs to much lower with straight arms down by your hip all the way thru the wakes. Doing so will create more speed into the wakes and into the next turn. That speed will give you the stability you need to stand correctly on the ski and complete the turn without feeling like your going to fall over.
    @ReallyGottaSki would fin settings or binding placement help?
  • BG1BG1 Posts: 240 Baller
    Size of ski, your height and weight, binding placement, fin settings, rope length, and boat speed. Also a picture of you straight behind the boat if possible.
    ReallyGottaSki
  • WishWish Posts: 8,603 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Cam deserves a beanie from the dollar store, at the least, for catching that.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    CamThan_BoganMISkier
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 2,259 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Charliesav7 what kind and size front binding are you using? Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks way bigger than your leg would indicate.

Specifically, is your foot snug or does it move around inside the binding? Does it have a really thick foot pad that raises your foot up more than 1/2" from the ski?
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?