Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Signed Carbon Fiber Fin Just $49

For quite some time now, someone in Leander, Texas has been trying to sell on ebay a carbon fiber fin that appears to be signed by J. T. Horton. The seller only wants $49 for it. Seems like a good deal to me. Just wondering if @Horton can confirm that this fin is genuine and that the signature is in fact his. The ebay link is this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Water-Ski-Fin-/264959121697

Since that link will die in 6 days (although it has been relisted about 6 times now), I have provided a screen shot of the ebay listing as well.

ballsohard

Comments

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,044 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    That’s his sig. is it a 106?
    Shut up and ski
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,120 Mega Baller
    Note that the $49 is the starting bid. No "Buy It Now" price. Reserve for that item is probably quite high, I would imagine. Hence, the re-listing that is occurring.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,855 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    $49 is a little steep for a target, but does add a lot to the personal satisfaction.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/14688/carbon-fins-are-awesome
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    The_MSballsohard
  • buoyboy1buoyboy1 Posts: 126 Baller
    I have a 116 blade on SIA 55046 under slalom that is also autographed in case someone wants to go old school.
  • bsmithbsmith Posts: 88 Baller
    @MISkier If I am remembering correctly, that fin keeps getting relisted because no one will even offer the starting bid price. I think a bid of $49 will get that fin.
    MISkier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,171 Administrator
    that is a really early fin. Likely a 98. 98s are probably the best fin I ever made. I had to change material suppliers at one point and I never could get back to that exact layup. if you've ever wanted to try a CarbonFin and you don't mind the thickness being just under .1 that's the fin. 106 and 116 models were an attempt to recreate this fin.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes 

• ralral Posts: 1,812 Mega Baller
    @bsmith , after @Horton 's comment, you might get competing bids from fellow ballers...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,547 Mega Baller
    Savage number of browser tabs

aupatkingballsohardLars
  • bsmithbsmith Posts: 88 Baller
    @ral I have watched that ebay listing for a number of weeks and could have won it several times before. Since @Horton left the fin business so many years ago, I figured that it likely wasn't considered as good as current production fins so I left it alone. Now that Horton has mentioned the special status of this fin, I am thinking again about it, but it would seem that Horton would want it back in his collection if he doesn't already still have an example from that early best generation of his fin.
    oh my God no please. no. I don't need more fins.

• ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,176
    edited December 2020
    Dave, did you really hit the power lines with your chopper??? For chopper pilots, that's like backing into your neighbors mailbox isn't it?
    Shane "Crash" Hill

HortonThe_MSDirtballsohard
  • DirtDirt Posts: 1,670 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Hard to see wires on goggles
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    david_ski
  • david_skidavid_ski Posts: 121 Baller
    Seeing the listing reminded me that I had one on the shelf. Maybe I need to try it again

• BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 840 Mega Baller
    @Horton, why were you signing your fins? I really want @Dirt and others to answer because those responses are likely funnier than the real story.
    david_ski
    edited December 2020
    @BlueSki honestly I don't remember how it got started and just became a thing.

or whar @dirt said

• Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,159 Mega Baller
    I got you a dollar!!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• kurtis500kurtis500 Posts: 91 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Soooooo.... what was the issue with these fins? Didnt work or..??
    edited December 2020
    @kurtis500 they were actually very popular for a few years. I sold about 1,000 of them before the sales dried up. The flex of the fins compensated for "some deficit" in the skis of that era. It was a time when skis were first becoming all carbon with CNC cut PVC cores. As the factories got a better handle on longitudinal and torsional flex the additional flex of the CarbonFins became unnecessary.

@david_ski That fin was my own shape. It should make a ski feel more stable to apex on both side and carve back a little more slowly but hold more angle through centerline. It will also make a ski slightly slower - you can just run a little less wing or less depth/length.

• david_skidavid_ski Posts: 121 Baller
    @Horton More stable at the Apex is what I remember. I was using it on an HO-Monza at the time. The Monza (at least mine) had a really touchy sweet spot but it was really quick when you were on it just right. The Carbon Fin mellowed out the narrow sweet spot and helped me at the apex. I then went to D3-RCX and never used it since.
    @horton if I read that correctly, the carbon fin was more flexible than aluminum? And now an aluminum fin is fine?
    edited December 2020
    @kurtis500
    the CarbonFins were not much softer than the standard aluminum fins. The impact was subtle. At the peak of the sport tiny tweaks can make a big difference. A lot has changed since then. Boats, ski design, technique....

@horton were they designed to be softer than the aluminum counterpart? Generally carbon composites will be stiffer than an aluminum part of similar shape and size. Just curious