Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Off Season Training / Strength Maintenance for slalom skiers in the 7,8,9,10 age divisions

swbcaswbca Posts: 124 Baller
edited January 24 in Technique & Theory
I have talked to a couple of top world and national senior-type trick skiers who live in the MidWest and train hard through the off season, but have had little feedback from slalom skiers.

If someone has a plan for maintaining strength and/or skills for slalom in the off season, it would be great if you could share your experience.

I am returning to competitive skiing now in Men 9 after a 35 year no-skiing gap. Skied in tournaments from age 14 to 40 and most of the best skiers around here are still competing in Men 9 and 10. I am hoping to become competitive with my peers who didn't have the big gap. If its just a fantasy, at least it will get me in shape and will be fun trying.

A pro-tour announcer said Nate Smith can do pullups until the Gym closes. I am starting over with "1"

Thanks

BG1OldkierReggieOpregombraindamage2Valve

Comments

• 2Valve2Valve Posts: 368 Crazy Baller
    Pilates, pull-ups and a peg board setup have kept me on the water, where most of my similar aged friends are plopping their tails on the couch every night.
    Oldkierswbca
  • OldkierOldkier Posts: 44 Baller
    Start out slow and easy. Stretch, planks, push ups, pull ups, run and or elliptical.
    Again stretch, stretch and stretch.
    Tie handle to post and practice dry land skiing, walking through skiing motions, hand grip and reach also do sets of leaning away drills.
    ALPJrswbcachris55
  • swbcaswbca Posts: 124 Baller
    @ 2Valve @ Oldkier
    Thanks for your tips. I will lookup "Planks" and "Peg Board Setup" to see what they are.

Its great to have a reason for diet and exercise. There is No better motivation than preparing for a competitive sport you love. WEIGHT . . I always had my best competition years when I was at the light end of a 10 pound weight range. That's something else for me to work on.

Thank Again
    BG1
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,138 Mega Baller
    I have been doing the same weight program for almost 20 years in the off season basically working my way around the machine. I use enough weight to do 2 sets of ten each exercise. More of a strength maintenance program rather than strength builder. Lots of core.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    swbcaReggieOZmanS1Pitts
  • mike_mapplemike_mapple Posts: 155 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Once my Dad got to his late 40s he really didn't lift much weight, a lot of body weight, and anyone who knows him biking. (2-300miles a week) but he was a big believer in body weight work outs at the end, and did seem to work for him, and helped him with his back. Early Career however he was basically a power lifter who skied.
    Perfski.com
    407-859-7544
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

If you have a blister, pop it, pour some lemon juice on it, and then add salt. -Andy Mapple
    swbcaSkoot1123
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,732 Mega Baller
    @2Valve Great suggestions. Where can we find more information on "plopping tails on the couch every night"?
    pregom
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,167 Mega Baller
    My daughter a national champion and a dr. Of physical therapy hammers on me me core core core and glutes and buttocks. Core strengthening and cardio are a good start.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Than_Bogan
  • jriester33jriester33 Posts: 27 Baller
    Agree with lots of core, glutes, and body weight workouts. If you're doing weight training and you can't safely, without breaking form, do 10-15reps, you're using too much weight. Foam rolling and dynamic-stretching as a warmup before training/skiing and foam rolling and static-stretching afterwards as a cool-down. Very much recommend the high-density foam roller, it can be a little uncomfortable, but the benefits greatly outweigh the discomfort. Good luck, stay stoked!
    swbca
  • pregompregom Posts: 311 Baller
    @mike_mapple - what do you mean with a lot of "body weight"?
  • CGSkiCGSki Posts: 10 Baller
    I’ve always enjoyed p90X or X3 over the winter. Lots of pushups/pull-ups, yoga & core.
    EljaybeeSkoot1123
  • braindamagebraindamage Posts: 201 Baller
    Start slow and build up. My mantra is “no pain...no pain”. The easiest way to end working out or injury is TMTS...Too Much Too Soon.
    Do core, body weight workouts and yoga.
    Zman
  • JmoskiJmoski Posts: 363 Solid Baller
    edited December 2020
    Jenny LaBaw will put together a customized remote personal training curriculum for waterskiing based on your needs, if you are looking to train 4-5 days a week - this is the way to go IMHO.

I have been training with Jenny for the past year and she is awesome. As a former college wrestler and then coach, I always prided myself on not needing a trainer, but I am so glad I signed up for her program as I wasn’t focused on mobility or the areas I was weak that are critical for skiing.

DM me if you have questions.

www.JennyLabaw.com
    BG1rayn
  • pregompregom Posts: 311 Baller
    I would highly recommend a Concept II rower. Cardio, power, full body exercises as hard as you can make them without passing out.

ALPJrZmanCGSki
  • brodybrody Posts: 326 Baller
    All the experts say that at 50and up resistance training is the most important thing you can do for your body. This isn’t a comment for skiing just overall health. As you age, you lose muscle and bone density leading to the frail old men you see around
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 846 Crazy Baller
    Resistance training, cradle to grave. Unless you want brittle Belter bones, beratna.
  • GaryJanzigGaryJanzig Posts: 94 Baller
    I do P90x and Insanity, and some P90x2.
  • VONMANVONMAN Posts: 233 Crazy Baller
    If you have access to a indoor pool, swimming is a great full body workout a chance of injury.
    Ernie Schlager

A Good One Ball Gives You Six
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,067 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 6

This is the gym where Andy trained. Lots of other skiers of renown as well. PPT Strength Transformers, Orlando.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    jjackkrash