Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brief history of neoprene

Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,877 Mega Baller
edited December 2020 in News & Other Stuff
My daughter just changed her major to Materials Engineering because Camaro wetsuits are so friggin' cool. (All of that sentence is "mostly true.")

With her permission, I share a short paper she wrote for a class assignment.
Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
Tagged:
dchristmanMISkierDWlazznOldkierraldvskiingDaveDKRoundyBulldog

Comments

• dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,212 Mega Baller
    edited December 2020
    Misspell alert. Camaro, not Camero.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    MISkierThan_Bogan
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,127 Mega Baller
    Great major and a cool write up. My daughter graduated with that degree several years ago and is working in the medical devices/implants field. Unfortunately, she did not take to the water skiing like I would have hoped.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • DWDW Posts: 2,296 Mega Baller
    Very cool, another example of where the military need pushes technology that ultimately improves civilian life. +1 for another bright engineer:-)
    Than_Bogan
  • ToddFToddF Posts: 595 Solid Baller
    Now I want to know what camaro did to the structure of blacktec to make it warmer.
    Part two of the paper.
    Than_Bogan
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 3,127 Mega Baller
    @ToddF, I believe that answer lies in what was done to make the outer shell hydrophobic.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Than_BoganToddF
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,865 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    Cool! Another kid that inherited the engineer gene.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Than_Boganral
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 2,035 Mega Baller
    Hmm - Engineers ROCK!
  • ralral Posts: 1,811 Mega Baller
    edited December 2020
    "The creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation and safety to life and property."

WHAT could be COOLER than that???
    Rodrigo Andai
  • BongoBongo Posts: 45 Baller
    edited December 2020
    Love the basis: "My personal interest in open cell neoprene wetsuits comes from my participation in slalom water skiing. In Massachusetts, where I've lived my whole life, wetsuits are highly desired for the beginning and end of the water ski season."

My DD wanted to pursue Materials Engineering so she can either design water ski composition for D3 or shoe soles for Nike. I suggested that may be a little too narrow, both major and specific application in sports. She's now midway through her sophomore year in Mechanical Engineering. Written a couple assignments with water skiing as her core experience; more for writing composition than engineering, but still experiential.
    Than_Bogan
  • jmhjghjmhjgh Posts: 8 New Baller
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for sharing. I hope she enjoys her studies. My daughter is a recent EE grad and used her first paycheck to get a new Lyric from Brooks. Happy day!
    Than_Bogan
  • drfreddrfred Posts: 6 New Baller
    I think she just sold a bunch of Camaro wet suits....thanks.
  • AndersonAnderson Posts: 56 Baller
    @Than_Bogan That was a really cool research vignette. I learned something new today (and to me, very interseting). You must be proud of your daughter - it is fun to see our kids learn and grow :-)
  • PatMPatM Posts: 788 Crazy Baller
    What is it with engineers and water skiing? Either you are one or pretend to be one
    Than_BoganKimbymonMISkierBruce_Butterfield