Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gas Spring Replacement

JohnbrannanJohnbrannan Posts: 40 Baller
I replaced the gas spring on the observers' seat on my 2016 Nautique 200 with a factory replacement Master-Lift ML36-80, an easy install, but it also failed to hold up the seat. I informed the fine folks at Nautiqueparts.com who sent me a replacement as perhaps I got a lemon. However, replacement unit also failed to hold up the seat. They are working on it again, and were to speak with the factory. There is nothing wrong with the seat, it is not waterlogged or otherwise damaged.

Has anyone had this problem? Should I go to something heavier than 80 pounds?

Comments

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,252 Mega Baller
    My closed bow uses 2 of those and they do the job nicely.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    Johnbrannan
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 455 Crazy Baller
    You don't want a gas spring that is super strong. I have a 2015 closed bow 200, and the observer seat works great except when trailering. When I hit a bump, the seat will fly up. I solve that by keeping a 3 lb weight (wrapped in a soft cloth) on the seat when trailering.
    Johnbrannan
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,537 Mega Baller
    best place I've found for all types of lift supports is in Carlsbad CA. Lift Supports Depot. You can get struts that are perfect for any application. Very helpful customer service gal answer the phone, or returns your call promptly.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Johnbrannan
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,164 Mega Baller
    I had 4 200's . Every one had some sort of problem with the passenger seat. Either gas springs or hinge impingement or both.
    I wound up just living with the springs removed.
    Still though the original 200 is probably the finest ski boats correct craft ever built.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

JohnbrannanDrago
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 840 Mega Baller
    I had problems with the originals too, so you are not alone. The details are uninteresting, but the summary is that the new springs help left, but don’t hold the seat up. I have a piece of thick dowel rod that I keep under the seat to hold it up if necessary. Small inconvenience for a great skiing boat.
  • JohnbrannanJohnbrannan Posts: 40 Baller
    I was able to install a 90 pound gas spring purchased from Lift Springs Depot and it worked. Thus the 80 pound is inadequate. Mystery solved.
    thagerBlueSki