Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sneak peek - an entirely new ski

kurtis500kurtis500 Posts: 95 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited December 2020 in Skis Fins Bindings
Quick facts:

-Not a slalom course ski although similar. Closer to a Maha 360 or Andy Clark cut-n-jump
-solid carbon with no foam core.
-Purpose is to demonstrate heated tooling under autoclave pressure (multiple atmospheres)
- 2x2 twill used for exterior layer only (decorative)
- concave bottom

I mentioned a few months ago on this site I would be doing a ski for demonstrating heated tooling in pressurized environements. Composites made with the highest strength and lowest void content are made under pressure. High pressure compaction of laminates eliminate the ability to use core materials during cure (high tonnage compression molding, autoclave cure with multiple atmospheres)

More to explain later but I wanted to follow through with my coments a few months ago. This demo is made off the tools under vacuum, but not in the pressurized environement. I'll post those later

adamhcaldwellClydesdaleAndrecougfanThan_BoganMattPbishop8950jjackkrashJonBskialexBobFballsohardNot_The_Pug

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,656 Mega Baller
    Does it float?
    chrislandy
  • kurtis500kurtis500 Posts: 95 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @bracemaker yes. foam was shot in the ends just in case but it floated without it. The boots float also so that helped a bit, and at 1540 grams before the nutplates it didnt need a lot of buoyancy. The fin is tig welded grade 5 Titanium (Ti 6Al-4V) so minimal weight added in the rear. The 2 peice structure will need to be opened up to allow water to drain out. Mouseholes or etc...

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,592 Mega Baller
    nice boots
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,608 Administrator
    @kurtis500 so it is somewhat of a hollow structure?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

@RichardDoane I think so. I havent used them yet but the center mount design and construction seem top notch.
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 882 Crazy Baller
    I'm not sure if you made that ski specially for Lord Vader, but it would be cooler if you did.
    skialexballsohard
    @horton yes. The vertical surfaces can be opened up some. Holding the ski sideways it would be possible to look through it and also see the inside of the tunnel.