Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restringing a handle

Hi All, I've had this Masterline floating handle (1.045 dia) for 3 years now and I'm thinking of getting it restrung. The grip is a little worn down where fingers hit and doesn't seem to be quite as grippy as it was.

I've never done this before... will it be worth the effort and cost? I'm assuming that rotating the handle 180 degrees will be OK with the lettering facing forward ?

Here are few pictures of my handle.

Comments

• bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 558 Crazy Baller
    masterline will do for like 35 bucks if you dont want to fool with it
  • dbutcherdbutcher Posts: 454 Crazy Baller
    Lettering facing either way is fine, but it is a lot of work and time to restring. There is a skier in Oklahoma who does re-stringing for a reasonable price. He does a lot of it and is very good at it. But by the time you pay freight both ways, I'd buy a new one. The reduced grippiness will be improved by rotating 180 degrees, but some of it is age of the rubber (my opinion). Your handle in its current state looks like it has one more season left in it. Rough it up with some sandpaper and try it. Otherwise buy a new one.
    gsm_peterBruce_Butterfield
  • Ski_DadSki_Dad Posts: 480 Baller
    I hear you, I was debating getting a new one - It's 65.00 + shipping for Masterline to redo it. I thought about getting a new 1.03 handle. I do like how this handle floats - not a big deal for me but for the kids it helps out.
  • RGilmoreRGilmore Posts: 89 Baller
    @Ski_Dad Get a new handle for yourself and keep this one for the kids. It should last many more years, cuz they're not the ones who have been wearing it out :) Rough up with 150 grit sandpaper and let it live out the rest of its life in its forever home.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,136 Mega Baller
    It's not that hard! Lots of vids on U tube. Get the correct size new rope etc. Other stuff you have looks reusable.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • acmxacmx Posts: 252 Baller
    I've done it. Problem is, you get fresher surface for your fingers to grip, but the diameter is still reduced from wear. Not worth the trouble IMO.
    Dacon62
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 536 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2020
    Where do you get the rope to re-sring your own handles? I have a few that I have retired for my use, but they could be re-strung and used for other water actives or to donate to others.
  • acmxacmx Posts: 252 Baller
    @BrennanKMN I used a long line section from a ski rope. You could use any unused section, 15 off, 22 off etc.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,136 Mega Baller
    Lake Elmo Sports at www.lakeelmosports.com has all the handle stuff you may need!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    BrennanKMN
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,164 Crazy Baller
    I have restrung handles, but only when the handle bar was in very good condition, especially where the brass grommets touch the aluminum bar. The 1.045 is carbon core and was not very durable, I’d suggest buying a new one this time. If you go with restringing... you can use the long line piece of rope which is long enough for one handle or a 15off and a 22off piece, again long enough for one handle.
  • dave2balldave2ball Posts: 788 Crazy Baller
    @Ski_Dad send it back to Masterline when you restring a handle the grommets may need to be replaced. If you want to restring it your self it’s on you to hope the grommets are good and won’t cut the rope from the inside out.
    Jody_SealWish
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,313 Mega Baller
    The grommets on the other side (the one facing the boat) are not always as rounded. If they are not, it will cut into the rope when you rotate. Make sure you "round them " off before restringing.
    Cam
  • BS74BS74 Posts: 43 Baller
    Not difficult, did it for years. When one side of the handle ran out of rubber I would re-string and use the other side of handle.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 581 Crazy Baller
    @BS74 - is it difficult to remove the bar? I've got two handles that are new - never used, but rubber is hard and not tacky. Would like to replace the bar/rubber and use.
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,313 Mega Baller
    Masterline will replace that bar/rubber along with the rope for about $120.